Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 11:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
A little off topic, but does anybody know the Edmonton rules in regards to tearing down an existing fence when the neighbor is too much of a tightwad to pay half for a new one?
you cant force someone to pay. Not sure why people think this. Build it or dont build it. Tear it down or dont.. you have equal rights to replacing the fence if it needs to be replaced.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
you cant force someone to pay. Not sure why people think this. Build it or dont build it. Tear it down or dont.. you have equal rights to replacing the fence if it needs to be replaced.
Thanks R3silly....the issue is not about money at all. The issue is i want right now and you have to help me and i want my way......I feel thats not right.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnisap View Post
Thanks R3silly....the issue is not about money at all. The issue is i want right now and you have to help me and i want my way......I feel thats not right.

you should look into how far $400 gets you in building a fence and you'll end up kicking yourself in the ass. That was a smoking deal by the neighbor.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
you should look into how far $400 gets you in building a fence and you'll end up kicking yourself in the ass. That was a smoking deal by the neighbor.
Totally agreed. Even 32 ft or 48 ft am ok with it if he talks nicely. You cannot come to me on monday commanding me to hlep and start building by friday....Thats what am ****ed it.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
the OP said it wasnt about money then says a few posts later money is tight... how do you buy a house in a new neighborhood and not plan for building a fence?

I can see the ops house now. Fence only on one side. No grass. No final grade. No deck in the back... it will sit that way for years because hes too cheap to do what you need to do with a new house.

The first thing I would be doing in a new neighborhood is talk with my neighbors when moving in. Stop being a cheap bastard and pay the minor cost for the fence.
Totally agreed. But if the other party dont want to talk and only command what he wants.......there is nothing much of a talk. Is more like a military lt ordering. Again not about the money at all...is about discussing with us and asking our free time.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:14 PM

I went through this situation almost 9 years ago lol, Good luck!!
Update on my situation is the neighbor moved out 2 years ago and we had a set of great people move in!!

OP, have a read through my thread and maybe find some info to help you out.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=66906
Old 05-18-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger1022 View Post
I went through this situation almost 9 years ago lol, Good luck!!
Update on my situation is the neighbor moved out 2 years ago and we had a set of great people move in!!

OP, have a read through my thread and maybe find some info to help you out.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=66906
Yep Ruger i read that. Thats the same issue here too. I want it to settle down as rainy season is coming. Maybe my first post is not clear. I want the mud to settle down, back grading is not done and construction is going across the alley...and vechicles are coming in and out....
Old 05-18-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
If you figure you can beat the crap out of the guy have him sign an agreement to a fist fight with witnesses present and beat the crap out of him. The winner gets to decide what happens with the fence.

Thank gawd I always had good neighbors!

When it came to fencing (not with swords, but with rebuilding fences) we'd sit down over a few beers and discuss how much it would cost us individually - and keep our word.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckincity View Post

Thank gawd I always had good neighbors!

When it came to fencing (not with swords, but with rebuilding fences) we'd sit down over a few beers and discuss how much it would cost us individually - and keep our word.
Totally agreed.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
He will water my grass from my water tap without asking me.
This is bizarre. I would be telling him to keep on his own property and keep his hands off my stuff. On the other hand, how bad is your lawn?

If your version is the truth, I would be seeking separation from this guy ASAP. Fencing in the back yard. Hedge or a short, attractive fence on the property line in the front.

IMO, you should go see him.
Negotiate a timeline.
Negotiate the style and quality of materials.
Negotiate the cost sharing.

If he's a bully, you need to be firm. Neighbours need to cooperate and come to agreement on a plan that works for both.

https://www.communitymediation.ca/services

Last edited by Big Sky; 05-18-2019 at 12:57 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 05-18-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
"..the way he walked into the house..
..coming into my house..
..Instead of coming into my house.."
Wow, you desperately need to lay down ground rules man.
Quote:
...there is nothing wrong in everyone needing a personal space..
Get that blasted fence up, lol
Old 05-18-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
This is bizarre. I would be telling him to keep on his own property and keep his hands off my stuff. On the other hand, how bad is your lawn?

If your version is the truth, I would be seeking separation from this guy ASAP. Fencing in the back yard. Hedge or a short, attractive fence on the property line in the front.

IMO, you should go see him.
Negotiate a timeline.
Negotiate the style and quality of materials.
Negotiate the cost sharing.

If he's a bully, you need to be firm. Neighbours need to cooperate and come to agreement on a plan that works for both.

https://www.communitymediation.ca/services
Thanks bigsky... i guess that stage of discussion has already passed once he threatened me. Luckily my security cam was recording all of these conversation and we are not comfortable talking with this guy again.....

Last edited by Dijon1975; 05-18-2019 at 01:04 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-18-2019, 01:34 PM

The one part of this whole situation that everyone is missing:
If you don't fight your neighbour, how are you going to know who is toughest?
Old 05-18-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
The one part of this whole situation that everyone is missing:
Lol nice sense of humor Dewey ...
Old 05-18-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I am, when I'm drunk.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:46 PM

You seem like the unreasonable here. $400? Good grief, dont be a cheapskate and bad neighbor and just get it done.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
You seem like the unreasonable here. $400? Good grief, dont be a cheapskate and bad neighbor and just get it done.
I guess you did not read the whole story. Is not about the money at all justfish...is the way he wants it...We discussed and agreed for one term, then he changes and he want immeidately and i should agree....i dont think and feel is right.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:54 PM

$400 is cheap for a decent fence and a decent relationship with a neighbour. Sadly I bet the latter is already tarnished.
Swallow the pride, throw him some cash, lend a hand, and move on. Trust me, you will be so glad you did.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:24 PM

Man, how come you're always having trouble with your neighbors over fences?? Its like ground hog day.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesTM View Post
Man, how come you're always having trouble with your neighbors over fences?? Its like ground hog day.
I was wondering...if this isn’t the same issue as the OP posted about last May...the issues don’t appear to lay with the neighbors.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
I was wondering...if this isn’t the same issue as the OP posted about last May...the issues don’t appear to lay with the neighbors.
Seems to me that the neighbour has had about enough of the procrastination, especially if the situation is a repeat of last year. To the OP, swallow your pride pay the $$, let your neighbour move on with his endeavour and be finished with it once and for all...
Old 05-18-2019, 06:02 PM

My "Neighbour" is also a cheapskate and refused to split the cost of replacing the rotted fence between our properties. I had it built anyway, maximum allowable height so I didn't have to see his and his wife's ugly mugs. $400? Pay the man, my fence cost $1400 materials and labour for that stretch.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
A little off topic, but does anybody know the Edmonton rules in regards to tearing down an existing fence when the neighbor is too much of a tightwad to pay half for a new one?
Quote:
I wasn't real clear on this. I have no issue with paying for the entire fence. I'm wondering if it's legal/ok to tear down an existing fence that is on a shared property line. Technically my neighbor owns half in my case as it was a fence put in by two previous owners. So if I tear it down without Mr. Wonderful next door agreeing to it could I be up **** creek?
Old 05-18-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
But he hurt his feelings, dosent that allways mean a free fence?

How many times has he tried to discuss the fence with you? More than a few I'm guessing.

How bad is your lawn that your neighbors have to water it for you? Take the hint..

He sounds like a jerk but it's kinda sounding like you pushed him to that point by being dismissive.

Stop being stubborn and overly sensitive and give him his $400

If you don't like it you are free to build whatever kind of fence you want on your side of the property line when you get around to dooing it.

Amazing what some people will fight over these days, especially neighbors.

$400 for a fence you didn't even help build is a BARGAIN, pay the man.

The best advice was already givin in this thread, take a 6 pack over there and talk it out like men, you BOTH sound at fault here.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:16 PM

Never mind.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:30 PM

A set of balls would help I think. If you continue to let him bully you expect it to always happen. If someone used my utilities or walked in my house they would regret it real hard, especially entering my house to order me around.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-18-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
But he hurt his feelings, dosent that allways mean a free fence?

How many times has he tried to discuss the fence with you? More than a few I'm guessing.

How bad is your lawn that your neighbors have to water it for you? Take the hint..

He sounds like a jerk but it's kinda sounding like you pushed him to that point by being dismissive.

Stop being stubborn and overly sensitive and give him his $400

If you don't like it you are free to build whatever kind of fence you want on your side of the property line when you get around to dooing it.

Amazing what some people will fight over these days, especially neighbors.

$400 for a fence you didn't even help build is a BARGAIN, pay the man.

The best advice was already givin in this thread, take a 6 pack over there and talk it out like men, you BOTH sound at fault here.
doesitall........it started on monday saying want it to start on friday , then again tuesday started pushing me and friday....So you think is fair for him to come and push me and harass me within 3 days and i should agree.........right...comeon.

Nope i did not have a lawn at all as its new property, he just put grass in my side and i said is ok , he is my neighbour and no fights needed and then started using my water without asking me........Honestly i dont mind building my own fence even if is 5k...but i dont like being pushed because of his rush. Land has to settle down, we both have to agree when we both are free and thats it. I already told him am not free now, but maybe in summer we can finish it. So i think am being fair here.Am ready to build my own fence or i can share, but he has to discuss with me. Thats my point.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Last May he posted that he was having fence issues in Edmonton.
This year it's Calgary and he's been bullied by his neighbor for 1 and 1/2 years.
Seems a little odd somehow..
Old 05-18-2019, 10:50 PM

Thanks for all your thoughts guys. I will update once we make a decision. Thanks for your time and have a safe long weekend.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab Lvr View Post
Last May he posted that he was having fence issues in Edmonton.
This year it's Calgary and he's been bullied by his neighbor for 1 and 1/2 years.
Seems a little odd somehow..
Maybe you can clear this up Omnisap.
Closed Thread