Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-11-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Seems there would be a healthy market for a magnaport service in Canada. Wonder why someone hasn’t started up?
I worked at a gun counter in the 90's and at the time the owner tried to get a magnaport service centre out of our gunsmith service and from my understanding Magnaport had no desire to license their service in Canada, yes this was 20 years ago but clearly magnaport's stance hasn't changed
Old 05-13-2019, 01:15 PM

Default My experiences

I’ve got a 338 Imperial Magnum, which is similar to 338RUM ballistically speaking. When I got it it had a MB on it. Couldn’t stand the noise. Took it off but then it had viscous muzzle jump. I added a couple pounds weight in the front of the fore end of the stock, and goodbye to most of the muzzle jump.

You can do your own experimenting with this: somehow securely attach some weight, start with 2 pounds maybe, and attach it to the top of the barrel approx where you’ll be putting the weight in the stock. I say to the top because the weight must not be allowed to move at all while firing or you won’t get a true ‘reading’ of what the recoil reduction will be. With this you won’t be able to sight the gun obviously, but all you’re trying to do is determine if this addition of weight will do what you want it to, or not.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:14 PM

I will give that a try this weekend thanks,
Old 05-20-2019, 09:21 AM

I would go with a brake over adding weight to fore end of rifle. I put a Grizzly Gun Works clamp on break on my 300Wby and muzzle jump and recoil were both gone. It is my opinion the added niose does not over ride the other good effects of a good brake. You will want a brake with side ports not the older style swiss cheese models.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:57 AM

If you want to go with a muzzle brake have a read of this review and comparison. I doubt you will find a better comparison of brakes than what this guy did.

He even did a specific test to see which brake reduced muzzle jump the most.

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/...-test-results/