Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-03-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakoShooter View Post
There's nothing rude about your question, though I did not say that a Remington or Weatherby Vanguard wouldn't be good enough, in a practical, functional sense they are fine.

What I did say, was that based on my experience, you will find many reasons to upgrade, and will spend much more in the long run if you make a budget buy.

What specifically is better about a Tikka/Sako than the name? Well, I've never owned a Tikka, but have friends who do, and I have used them.

Tikka:

- Trigger is better than any mass produced rifles factory trigger, it is identical to the Sako trigger as far as I know, is adjustable from 2-4 lbs, and more importantly, breaks cleanly and consistently.
Savage Accutriggers are good too, and the target trigger they put on their more expensive guns are even better, but they do have the little take up tab, ostensibly for safety, which gives them a sort of two stage feel. Some may not mind that tab, but it is objectively not as nice a smooth trigger face.

- Barrel is better than most any mass production rifle, also the same barrels as Sako uses in their rifles; there's a reason that Tikka has a reputation for accuracy, and the barrels are very highly regarded. I have owned many rifles that shot okay with rough barrels, but Sako/Tikka barrels shoot well, clean easily as a matter of course, and I personally have not seen one with rough machine marks and burring as is common in many rifles.

- Action is smooth and fast. If you think this is malarkey, hype, or inconsequential, please pick up and cycle the bolt on a Ruger American, Remington 700, Weatherby Vanguard, then pick up a Tikka.
If you spend time shooting a Tikka and then pick up almost any other brand of rifle you will immediately realise how quickly you've come to take a smooth cycling bolt for granted, and how much easier it is to shoot.

- Accuracy may well be debatable, and is obviously a variable from rifle to rifle, but sample size doesn't lie, and Tikka's have an unparalleled reputation for accuracy, and are one of the most common rifles around. Savage used to have a very good reputation in this regard as well, though I feel that it was partly due to the "value" factor and concurrent lowered expectations, my experience with Savages has been....inconsistent.

- Value and resale is superb, you can resell a Tikka at minimal loss as compared to a Ruger, Savage, Remington. This is not baffle-gab and hearsay, I have bought and sold many rifles over the years and I feel that I have a good idea of the used value of various makes, and how quickly they sell.

There are of course some compromises with a Tikka, and reasons I haven't owned one. The stock isn't top notch, though MILES better than what you will get with most sub $800 rifles such as a Ruger American, the detachable magazines are single column and hold just 3 rounds while protruding slightly the the action bottom, the integral rings and bases are expensive, though I believe they come tapped for conventional bases as well, and there is plastic in these rifles.
All in all, for around $900 these are very good utilitarian rifles that you can expect to function smoothly, shoot much more accurately than average, and offering a great trigger and slick action (usability).

Sako:

- Trigger and barrel are the same as Tikka, ie. excellent.

- No Polymer. Every part of a Sako is metal, including the detachable magazine (expensive if you want extra though). Of course synthetic stocks are exempted from this.

- Bolt is a three lug (low bolt lift for quick cycling and scope eyepiece clearance as compared to Winchester model 70, Kimber, Savage, Remington 700, Weatherby Vaguard, and others) and is made of one piece of steel, including the bolt handle. Most rifles (Tikka too) have a brazed or pinned on bolt handle of some sort, this might never be a problem, but it is a positive to me.

- Wood is very good on Sako's these days if you are interested in a wood stock. I am still trying to resist a Sako Grizzly for $2,400.00. They are just beautiful rifles, if you care about that sort of thing

- Fit and finish may simply be a non-issue for you, or it may be a non-issue right now, but when you notice some rough machine marks, burring, visible finish flaws, etc. you may just find that you are bothered by it after all and start lusting after a "nicer" gun. Take a look at pretty much any (well regarded) CZ rifle and you will see machine marks, burrs, flaws, maybe a sticky spot in the bolt, you name it.
You can expect a very high standard of workmanship and QC with a Sako rifle, this matters to me, and I don't take it for granted as a guy who has owned a few Ruger M77 rifles for example.

The bottom line here is pride of ownership, Sako rifles are on average, objectively nicer than rifles for a few hundred dollars less, and it's apparent when you spend even a little time with one. Don't try to convince yourself this won't matter to you if there's a chance you will start to feel dissatisfied with, say, a much cruder Vanguard, with it's cheap stamped metal safety selector, and crappy magazine system, etc. because I have wasted a fair bit of money in upgrading rifles that I bought while ignoring their shortcomings.

Now for the Budget guns:

Remington 700 SPS: My advice is not to buy a Remington, their QC is non-existent these days, and by the time you make use of the extensive aftermarket to upgrade a Remington, you will have spent a considerable amount more than you thought you would going in. The cheap Remington 700 you find may well have a stock that needs replacement, a poor trigger, bad QA/QC resulting in poor accuracy or reliability.
I realise that some people love the Remington, and the 700 action is number one for builds, but you aren't shopping for a build action where you buy a $700 rifle and throw away the barrel, stock, and trigger.

Remington 783: possibly the worst rifle you could spend that money on.

Ruger American: Bought one, sold it after replacing the stock, still hated it. The bolt is garbage, machine marks, sticky, gritty, binds easily. The trigger is pure, unadulterated garbage that masquerades as a Savage Accutrigger. It is not. The stock is rubbish, and quite likely the poorest stock in this price range. Also, the magazine is hot garbage with s prone to fail retention clip.
I do not understand how these rifles have become popular, and I do like Ruger M77 rifles, have owned 3 and still own one.

Winchester XPR: Decent value I think. I owned one, the stock fairly smooth and hard plastic, so may be slippery, but it's nice and stiff for this price range, maybe a step below the Tikka synthetic stock.
Positives on the one I had were a very decent trigger, and okay accuracy. Negatives were the fat bolt which is not slick to run, and the cheap finish and appearance, such as mold markings on the stock.
I would recommend it as a utilitarian rifle as it seemed functional, and of reasonable value for the price.

Browning AB3: Same as the Winchester XPR as far as i can tell. I have not owned one, but they are the same company, and I believe they are clones.

Savage Mod 10 (11, 111, 110, etc.): I have owned a Savage 11 in .223 and it was an extremely inaccurate specimen; my brother has a Savage in .270 win and it's reasonably accurate, though nothing to write home about in all honesty.
Pros: Good trigger (though not as good as their reputation,) common and well regarded so resale might be better than it should be.
Cons: Hold one and look as the tang at the rear of the action where the safety is located, see that gap and the little spring? Now maybe it's paranoia, but I imagine dirt or a twig, or foliage getting snagged in there and jamming something up. Either way, they are ugly, obviously cheaply thrown together with the bolt assembled as a series of washers, barrel attached with a threaded nut, absolutely no regard for aesthetics here.
These rifles are also overpriced in my opinion as the price point has risen since Savage introduces the Axis line and presented the 10/110/11/111 as their "premium" line while not materially improving them in any way.

Savage Axis: Do not buy, I have no real reason for saying so as I have never owned or fired one, but I know that the magazine is worse than the standard Savage and they did not leave much room for cost cutting in my opinion.
Weatherby Vanguard (Howa 1500): I have owned exactly one of these, and I realise that these are highly thought of by quite a few people, so I’m probably in the minority. I didn’t think the trigger was good, and yes, it was an S2 that I owned, I disliked the magazine…a small thing I know, but you use it every time you use the rifle, so why accept a poor magazine system? The overall quality is just not great, stamped bent metal safety, the bolt isn’t really bad or good, but nothing special for sure, the one I owned wasn’t more accurate than average, I didn’t care for the style.
These are probably okay rifles as they are recommended by many, perhaps just not my cuppa.
Mossberg: No idea, have never touched one of these.

Not quite budget:

Winchester Model 70: These are in the $1,100 to $1,200 range and are a legendary rifle, quality is good, I owned a North Carolina built Super Grade in .270 WSM and it was solid with an okay trigger.
Pros: Good build quality and fit and finish, legendary action which is reliable and smooth enough, resale should be good, value is very good for what you pay.
Cons: Trigger is just okay, and mine had the MOA trigger (it’s the same trigger as in their XPR line,) bolt lift is high, so unless you are mounting a scope high, or using a scope like a Leupold VX3 with a narrow eyepiece, you may have bolt clearance issues, Euro scopes need not apply, hinged floorplate magazine with no detachable option.
Accuracy is not necessarily a hallmark of these rifles, they are average in this regard by reputation, and mine fell into that category.

Ruger M77/Hawkeye: Good rifles, but not cheap. I feel that the price has been pushed up (like Savage) with the introduction of the American line, which allows Ruger to position these as a more “premium” rifle without making material improvements.
Pros: Bombproof action, all metal construction and good quality, I like the look of the Hawkeye models which have a very classic style to them.
Cons: Triggers are not good, bad in fact. Action isn’t the smoothest, hinged floorplate magazine like the Winchester model 70 means no detachable mag, accuracy isn’t great by reputation, but mine have all shot very well to be honest, the scope rings suck, but you can buy Leupold brand rings that fit the machine cuts in the receiver and are better rings.
Not really the cheapest at $1,300.00 or more, but will outlast you as they are very sturdy arms.

Browning X-bolt: Have only owned one, they aren’t my style, triggers are okay to use but are painted gold coloured on most models, lots of plastic in these rifles.
I guess I don’t have much to say about these, they have a reputation for accuracy, but I just irrationally don’t care for them so haven’t really thought about them much.

Kimber Hunter: These are around the price of a Ruger M77, but have a crappy magazine, a reputation for poor quality control, high bolt lift with a straight bolt handle that makes them possibly the most challenging rifle out there for mounting a scope low.
If you really want a lightweight sporter with a decent synthetic stock….buy a Tikka instead of this overpriced offering.

I’m sure I’ve missed some, but you asked me for specifics, not generalisations and I aim to please.
I am not simply repeating things I’ve heard or read, I have experience with quite a few rifles and have formed my own opinions based on MY experience.

I like Sako, and all of my hunting rifles are Sako, everything else ends up getting sold or sitting. I am not saying that you need to spend $2,000 plus on a Sako to be happy, but I would have saved thousands of dollars if I had resisted the many rifles I have bought because I thought that small deficiencies, or differences in features or quality were something I could live with…you might be different, but something that you use is never a waste of money when it works even a little bit better than the cheaper option.
Excellent comments.. coming from a guy who hasn't bought a new factory rifle since 1997.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Unless someone was looking for an easily top feed rifle, or hinged floorplate system, or a three position safety, then tikka would be a big miss. It all comes down to what someone is looking for.
Yup. I really like the Tikkas and would not rule one out for the future, but right or wrong, I went S2 over Tikka due to fit for me, short action, hinged plate, and I was not aware of the Tikka safety but I wanted 3 position.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:02 PM

I bought a Remington Titanium in a .270win the first year they came out in 2002 and this is my go to rifle. I had to do a lot of tinkering to get it to group. I ended up bedding the barrel into the stock to really tighten the groups. I just recently bought I Kimber Mountain Ascent in the .270win and right out of the box it was a tack driver. This rifle is an absolute dream to shoot. There is hardly any kick to it, and that’s without the brake on it that it comes with. Do yourself a favour and save your shackles and don’t cheap out when you decide to purchase a rifle.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakoShooter View Post
There's nothing rude about your question, though I did not say that a Remington or Weatherby Vanguard wouldn't be good enough, in a practical, functional sense they are fine.

What I did say, was that based on my experience, you will find many reasons to upgrade, and will spend much more in the long run if you make a budget buy.

What specifically is better about a Tikka/Sako than the name? Well, I've never owned a Tikka, but have friends who do, and I have used them.

Tikka:

- Trigger is better than any mass produced rifles factory trigger, it is identical to the Sako trigger as far as I know, is adjustable from 2-4 lbs, and more importantly, breaks cleanly and consistently.
Savage Accutriggers are good too, and the target trigger they put on their more expensive guns are even better, but they do have the little take up tab, ostensibly for safety, which gives them a sort of two stage feel. Some may not mind that tab, but it is objectively not as nice a smooth trigger face.

- Barrel is better than most any mass production rifle, also the same barrels as Sako uses in their rifles; there's a reason that Tikka has a reputation for accuracy, and the barrels are very highly regarded. I have owned many rifles that shot okay with rough barrels, but Sako/Tikka barrels shoot well, clean easily as a matter of course, and I personally have not seen one with rough machine marks and burring as is common in many rifles.

- Action is smooth and fast. If you think this is malarkey, hype, or inconsequential, please pick up and cycle the bolt on a Ruger American, Remington 700, Weatherby Vanguard, then pick up a Tikka.
If you spend time shooting a Tikka and then pick up almost any other brand of rifle you will immediately realise how quickly you've come to take a smooth cycling bolt for granted, and how much easier it is to shoot.

- Accuracy may well be debatable, and is obviously a variable from rifle to rifle, but sample size doesn't lie, and Tikka's have an unparalleled reputation for accuracy, and are one of the most common rifles around. Savage used to have a very good reputation in this regard as well, though I feel that it was partly due to the "value" factor and concurrent lowered expectations, my experience with Savages has been....inconsistent.

- Value and resale is superb, you can resell a Tikka at minimal loss as compared to a Ruger, Savage, Remington. This is not baffle-gab and hearsay, I have bought and sold many rifles over the years and I feel that I have a good idea of the used value of various makes, and how quickly they sell.

There are of course some compromises with a Tikka, and reasons I haven't owned one. The stock isn't top notch, though MILES better than what you will get with most sub $800 rifles such as a Ruger American, the detachable magazines are single column and hold just 3 rounds while protruding slightly the the action bottom, the integral rings and bases are expensive, though I believe they come tapped for conventional bases as well, and there is plastic in these rifles.
All in all, for around $900 these are very good utilitarian rifles that you can expect to function smoothly, shoot much more accurately than average, and offering a great trigger and slick action (usability).

Sako:

- Trigger and barrel are the same as Tikka, ie. excellent.

- No Polymer. Every part of a Sako is metal, including the detachable magazine (expensive if you want extra though). Of course synthetic stocks are exempted from this.

- Bolt is a three lug (low bolt lift for quick cycling and scope eyepiece clearance as compared to Winchester model 70, Kimber, Savage, Remington 700, Weatherby Vaguard, and others) and is made of one piece of steel, including the bolt handle. Most rifles (Tikka too) have a brazed or pinned on bolt handle of some sort, this might never be a problem, but it is a positive to me.

- Wood is very good on Sako's these days if you are interested in a wood stock. I am still trying to resist a Sako Grizzly for $2,400.00. They are just beautiful rifles, if you care about that sort of thing

- Fit and finish may simply be a non-issue for you, or it may be a non-issue right now, but when you notice some rough machine marks, burring, visible finish flaws, etc. you may just find that you are bothered by it after all and start lusting after a "nicer" gun. Take a look at pretty much any (well regarded) CZ rifle and you will see machine marks, burrs, flaws, maybe a sticky spot in the bolt, you name it.
You can expect a very high standard of workmanship and QC with a Sako rifle, this matters to me, and I don't take it for granted as a guy who has owned a few Ruger M77 rifles for example.

The bottom line here is pride of ownership, Sako rifles are on average, objectively nicer than rifles for a few hundred dollars less, and it's apparent when you spend even a little time with one. Don't try to convince yourself this won't matter to you if there's a chance you will start to feel dissatisfied with, say, a much cruder Vanguard, with it's cheap stamped metal safety selector, and crappy magazine system, etc. because I have wasted a fair bit of money in upgrading rifles that I bought while ignoring their shortcomings.

Now for the Budget guns:

Remington 700 SPS: My advice is not to buy a Remington, their QC is non-existent these days, and by the time you make use of the extensive aftermarket to upgrade a Remington, you will have spent a considerable amount more than you thought you would going in. The cheap Remington 700 you find may well have a stock that needs replacement, a poor trigger, bad QA/QC resulting in poor accuracy or reliability.
I realise that some people love the Remington, and the 700 action is number one for builds, but you aren't shopping for a build action where you buy a $700 rifle and throw away the barrel, stock, and trigger.

Remington 783: possibly the worst rifle you could spend that money on.

Ruger American: Bought one, sold it after replacing the stock, still hated it. The bolt is garbage, machine marks, sticky, gritty, binds easily. The trigger is pure, unadulterated garbage that masquerades as a Savage Accutrigger. It is not. The stock is rubbish, and quite likely the poorest stock in this price range. Also, the magazine is hot garbage with s prone to fail retention clip.
I do not understand how these rifles have become popular, and I do like Ruger M77 rifles, have owned 3 and still own one.

Winchester XPR: Decent value I think. I owned one, the stock fairly smooth and hard plastic, so may be slippery, but it's nice and stiff for this price range, maybe a step below the Tikka synthetic stock.
Positives on the one I had were a very decent trigger, and okay accuracy. Negatives were the fat bolt which is not slick to run, and the cheap finish and appearance, such as mold markings on the stock.
I would recommend it as a utilitarian rifle as it seemed functional, and of reasonable value for the price.

Browning AB3: Same as the Winchester XPR as far as i can tell. I have not owned one, but they are the same company, and I believe they are clones.

Savage Mod 10 (11, 111, 110, etc.): I have owned a Savage 11 in .223 and it was an extremely inaccurate specimen; my brother has a Savage in .270 win and it's reasonably accurate, though nothing to write home about in all honesty.
Pros: Good trigger (though not as good as their reputation,) common and well regarded so resale might be better than it should be.
Cons: Hold one and look as the tang at the rear of the action where the safety is located, see that gap and the little spring? Now maybe it's paranoia, but I imagine dirt or a twig, or foliage getting snagged in there and jamming something up. Either way, they are ugly, obviously cheaply thrown together with the bolt assembled as a series of washers, barrel attached with a threaded nut, absolutely no regard for aesthetics here.
These rifles are also overpriced in my opinion as the price point has risen since Savage introduces the Axis line and presented the 10/110/11/111 as their "premium" line while not materially improving them in any way.

Savage Axis: Do not buy, I have no real reason for saying so as I have never owned or fired one, but I know that the magazine is worse than the standard Savage and they did not leave much room for cost cutting in my opinion.
Weatherby Vanguard (Howa 1500): I have owned exactly one of these, and I realise that these are highly thought of by quite a few people, so I’m probably in the minority. I didn’t think the trigger was good, and yes, it was an S2 that I owned, I disliked the magazine…a small thing I know, but you use it every time you use the rifle, so why accept a poor magazine system? The overall quality is just not great, stamped bent metal safety, the bolt isn’t really bad or good, but nothing special for sure, the one I owned wasn’t more accurate than average, I didn’t care for the style.
These are probably okay rifles as they are recommended by many, perhaps just not my cuppa.
Mossberg: No idea, have never touched one of these.

Not quite budget:

Winchester Model 70: These are in the $1,100 to $1,200 range and are a legendary rifle, quality is good, I owned a North Carolina built Super Grade in .270 WSM and it was solid with an okay trigger.
Pros: Good build quality and fit and finish, legendary action which is reliable and smooth enough, resale should be good, value is very good for what you pay.
Cons: Trigger is just okay, and mine had the MOA trigger (it’s the same trigger as in their XPR line,) bolt lift is high, so unless you are mounting a scope high, or using a scope like a Leupold VX3 with a narrow eyepiece, you may have bolt clearance issues, Euro scopes need not apply, hinged floorplate magazine with no detachable option.
Accuracy is not necessarily a hallmark of these rifles, they are average in this regard by reputation, and mine fell into that category.

Ruger M77/Hawkeye: Good rifles, but not cheap. I feel that the price has been pushed up (like Savage) with the introduction of the American line, which allows Ruger to position these as a more “premium” rifle without making material improvements.
Pros: Bombproof action, all metal construction and good quality, I like the look of the Hawkeye models which have a very classic style to them.
Cons: Triggers are not good, bad in fact. Action isn’t the smoothest, hinged floorplate magazine like the Winchester model 70 means no detachable mag, accuracy isn’t great by reputation, but mine have all shot very well to be honest, the scope rings suck, but you can buy Leupold brand rings that fit the machine cuts in the receiver and are better rings.
Not really the cheapest at $1,300.00 or more, but will outlast you as they are very sturdy arms.

Browning X-bolt: Have only owned one, they aren’t my style, triggers are okay to use but are painted gold coloured on most models, lots of plastic in these rifles.
I guess I don’t have much to say about these, they have a reputation for accuracy, but I just irrationally don’t care for them so haven’t really thought about them much.

Kimber Hunter: These are around the price of a Ruger M77, but have a crappy magazine, a reputation for poor quality control, high bolt lift with a straight bolt handle that makes them possibly the most challenging rifle out there for mounting a scope low.
If you really want a lightweight sporter with a decent synthetic stock….buy a Tikka instead of this overpriced offering.

I’m sure I’ve missed some, but you asked me for specifics, not generalisations and I aim to please.
I am not simply repeating things I’ve heard or read, I have experience with quite a few rifles and have formed my own opinions based on MY experience.

I like Sako, and all of my hunting rifles are Sako, everything else ends up getting sold or sitting. I am not saying that you need to spend $2,000 plus on a Sako to be happy, but I would have saved thousands of dollars if I had resisted the many rifles I have bought because I thought that small deficiencies, or differences in features or quality were something I could live with…you might be different, but something that you use is never a waste of money when it works even a little bit better than the cheaper option.

Just to quibble a bit, I don't believe all parts in all Sako models are metal. They def weren't 2 years ago. Metal mag wasn't happening until near the $2000 mark.

Also the triggers between an S2 and T3 are minimally different. Nothing wrong with the S2's at all. You may be thinking of the earlier Vanguard model.

S2 also comes with a 24" barrel to Tikkas 22. T3 synthetic stock was pure garbage, along with the recoil pad, and theres plastic in a lot of places I didn't want plastic. Mag, trigger guard, bolt shroud, etc. T3x has improved some of these areas,

Biggest difference between the 2 is bolt throw. When I purchased the S2, since sold, it was day to day 699 and Prophet had a 10% off, free shipping sale on. Very good buy at that cost.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:11 PM

For the price and the accuracy you can't beat a Savage 111, especially in stainless. A new/used Savage with the accutrigger or even better an accustock and accutrigger is hard to beat. Maybe bit on the rougher side of things but still a tough dependable tool. Could easily upgraded later with a lighter stock and really good glass. Get what feels good , get out to a range, practise get comfortable with your rifle and get out hunting.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:48 AM

This may help you decide on at least one.....In addition to their trigger problems I wouldn't own one made in the last 10 years.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...ng-bankruptcy/

Their trigger recall was a BIG issue for me when I went through it: They scratch the heck out of my rifle, both the wood and the bluing: Remington denied it all....

The last straw was the 9 month turn around. Poor me, I was forced to buy another rifle; but that is not the point here..... oh yeah it was NOT a Remington.....

I was sooooo mad. NEVER, NEVER AGAIN..

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:07 AM

I have owned , bought , sold, shot and hunted with hundreds of rifles of all brands since the late 60's.
One the rifles that stands out for me is the post 64 Featherweight Winchester.
I just love that rifle for some reason.
had them in everything from 243 to 30'06, all were very accurate, some had spectacular wood, and all were reliable.

The Pre 64's do nothing for me, but mostly because the stocks do not fit me well - that being said, one of then most accurate factory rifles without mods i ever shot off the bench was apre 64 in 270.

If I were looking for a bolt action rifle , a used post '64 Featherweight in anything but 270 ( just hate on that cartridge for no reason!)
Would more than likely come home with me.
However because I am a single shot looney, a bolt action magazine gun is last on my list of wants.

Cat
Old 05-04-2019, 10:07 AM

Tradex has a whole selection of great guns for 2-800 dollars. Hard to beat the old model 98 Mauser type actions and some of the commercial Mausers. Finding a 270 might be a challenge, 30-06 would be easy to come across. Check out their website. Great guys to deal with, great guns at very reasonable prices and WAY better built than what you find new for $900 that are made today.

P.S. I just looked, if you search 270 in their search bar on their site you will come up with quite a few, Sauer, Winchester mod 70, Husqvarna and a few others, all well within your budget. A husky 1600 for $600 is a tremendously well built gun and VERY hard to beat in today's world without spending a couple of thousand on a Sako or something similar.

Last edited by Dean2; 05-04-2019 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:42 AM

Late to the game but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Sabatti rifles. 30% off at marstar I think It was. Many calibers and the rifles had iron sites too. If that was an option for you check it out
Old 05-04-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post

If I were looking for a bolt action rifle , a used post '64 Featherweight in anything but 270 ( just hate on that cartridge for no reason!)

Too versatile making 85% of the collection redundant? 😁

Not that one can ever own too many of course.

P.S. Jack just put you on ignore.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:42 AM

Default Surprised

i am just surprised no one has told the OP to change cartridge and get a Creedmore.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Too versatile making 85% of the collection redundant? 😁

Not that one can ever own too many of course.

P.S. Jack just put you on ignore.
No idea why , love the 280 , love the 6.5/06, hate the 270!
Killed stuff with it and had a couple of fantastic rifles in it, sold them!
Cat
Old 05-04-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Tradex has a whole selection of great guns for 2-800 dollars. Hard to beat the old model 98 Mauser type actions and some of the commercial Mausers. Finding a 270 might be a challenge, 30-06 would be easy to come across. Check out their website. Great guys to deal with, great guns at very reasonable prices and WAY better built than what you find new for $900 that are made today.

P.S. I just looked, if you search 270 in their search bar on their site you will come up with quite a few, Sauer, Winchester mod 70, Husqvarna and a few others, all well within your budget. A husky 1600 for $600 is a tremendously well built gun and VERY hard to beat in today's world without spending a couple of thousand on a Sako or something similar.
Bang on Dean ! High quality guns are still out there.. lots of them. I just picked up a Sauer 101 Classic, like new, for $950.00 (listed price) at a recent gun show. It sat there in plain sight for two days. Seller didn't have any inquiries on that rifle. Had to do it. Makes me wonder what's going on out there.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:03 PM

People shop for silver and black coloured rifles. That, unfortunately, is the extent of most people’s firearms knowledge.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-04-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
No idea why , love the 280 , love the 6.5/06, hate the 270!
Killed stuff with it and had a couple of fantastic rifles in it, sold them!
Cat

Well there is a big difference between the 280 and 270 after all.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:36 PM

Big Winchester fan here between dad and I we have 4 of them the newest of the bunch is a 2007 model the oldest is 1970 I believe. All of them shoot every once in awhile you see someone selling one. There is a reason you don’t see them up for sale very often IMO great starting rifle if you can find one.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
Late to the game but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Sabatti rifles. 30% off at marstar I think It was. Many calibers and the rifles had iron sites too. If that was an option for you check it out
Good enough rifles I took one home once. Did not feed worth a darn had to modify the mag catch ( a little plunger that fit into a hole in the mag) because it was to high and mag would not fit high (deep) enough into the rifle to feed reliably...Wood , bluing, fit and finish were good-excellent and it shot very well was just not the rifle for me.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:31 AM

Last edited by Nyksta; 05-05-2019 at 12:47 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
People shop for silver and black coloured rifles. That, unfortunately, is the extent of most people’s firearms knowledge.
Laughing,Chuck others have other hobby's that would leave you in the dust,so give out the info they need to know instead of trying to be sarcastic with them.

I know you no enough to keep you brain busy,but sharing is a good thing in life

Last edited by JD848; 05-05-2019 at 01:10 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:21 AM

Quote:
I have owned , bought , sold, shot and hunted with hundreds of rifles of all brands since the late 60's.
One the rifles that stands out for me is the post 64 Featherweight Winchester.
I just love that rifle for some reason.
had them in everything from 243 to 30'06, all were very accurate, some had spectacular wood, and all were reliable.

The Pre 64's do nothing for me, but mostly because the stocks do not fit me well - that being said, one of then most accurate factory rifles without mods i ever shot off the bench was apre 64 in 270.

Would more than likely come home with me.
However because I am a single shot looney, a bolt action magazine gun is last on my list of wants.

Cat
When you say you just hated a 270 for no reason ,I was the same way with both the 3006 and 308,why I disliked then I really have or had no reason ,then 5 years ago a friend needed help lining his scopes on both a 308 and 3006 and I really did a complete different turn on me now liking them and I did own a 270 that was one of the best shooters I ever owned.

Plus sometimes were all a little looney in a good way.

Cheers
JD
Old 05-05-2019, 05:44 AM

I just bought a browning xbolt western hunter in 270 win. They have a good sale going on at Bashaw Sports. Put a cheap Nikon scope on it. Shoots under 1/2 inch so far. I would buy something on sale.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
When you say you just hated a 270 for no reason ,I was the same way with both the 3006 and 308,why I disliked then I really have or had no reason ,then 5 years ago a friend needed help lining his scopes on both a 308 and 3006 and I really did a complete different turn on me now liking them and I did own a 270 that was one of the best shooters I ever owned.

Plus sometimes were all a little looney in a good way.

Cheers
JD
Yeah it’s strange and more than a little disconcerting at times!
Lord knows i’ve Tried to like that cartridge!
The Pre’64 I had mentioned was a 1947 from Griffin and Howe with one of their QD scope systems . It had a 4x Lyman Alaskan in otvand was a wonderful shooter .

I also owned one of the most striking Ruger Number one B’s I have seen with custom fiddle back maple stock and oak leaf carving instead of checkering .
It was also a fantastic shooter .
A buddy had s fantastic post 64 Featherweight stainless/wood I would have bought but I knew I would just sell it anyways so let it go!
The only thing I didn’t like about any of those rifles was the fact they were 270’s
I just cannot get past it no matter how hard I try so have given up !
If any of them were in 308 or ‘06 I would have kept them - or maybe not !
Cat
Old 05-05-2019, 06:17 AM

Right now there are lots of great used rifles on the market , so it fir sure is to the advantage of the buyer.
One needs to only know what they want and their budget!
Cat
Old 05-05-2019, 08:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobi View Post
But why? That doesn't give me any information that I'm looking for. How does it differ from the cheaper models like an Xbolt or a Savage?
Uhhhm, the cheaper model of savage certainly is not anywhere close to the quality of the xbolt or the T3.

The savage axis or its predecessor the 111 are all descent shooters, it will kick like a pi$$ed of mule in the larger calibers and the kit scopes will work in the 30-06 and smaller guns but the recoil will kill the scopes on the bigger guns so be prepared for an upgrade fairly fast. My T3 lite gives you a boot as well in the 300WM, for times when I know the walk is long the plastic stock stays on, shorter stuff, on goes the Boyds thumbhole. I have a 28 nosler and a 25-06 in an xbolt, both guns are deadly with no changes required. BTW i did put a new Boyd’s and a timney trigger in an axis once, loved it, it looked and worked great but still had the sloppy action and was now the just under the cost of a T3 or the xbolt but came with a scope that still worked for a 25-06, thats where the money was saved if your okay with an entry level scope,,,,,,,,,id save just a bit longer and get something you want of better quality than the savage axis,,,buy once cry once, the savage axis, for me is just a good backup gun once you require two and gone once you have three, choose your cartridge/ calibers to eliminate overlap
Old 05-05-2019, 08:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
I just looked a little more closely at the Savage 110 and it looks like a really great rifle to start off with! Custom stock (essentially) with many different combinations and a great trigger? Sign me up!
That’s certainly not the cheap savage at all
Old 05-05-2019, 08:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
I'm not trying to be rude here but are you guys honestly saying that a Remington 700 or a Weatherby Vanguard S2 for around 800 aren't good enough and I need to spend hundreds (or nearly twice) more or I won't be happy with it? Are you saying the Weatherby and the Remingtons aren't quality rifles?

I care enough to ask advice because I'm a logical thinker and anything I spend money on I spend my own time on researching. I haven't heard anything other than better quality for Sako/Tikka but no examples as to WHAT is actually better quality. Same thinking goes with Stereos... Sony is a good brand but it doesn't mean I can't find something of the same quality for less money because it's a different brand.

What, specifically, is better about Tikka/Sako other than the "name"?

Also, anything I spend money on I take pride in whether I spend hundreds or thousands.
Just picking up a sako will show you the difference, but its got to fit you or its no better than a cheap gun.. will it shoot any better, maybe not but if it fits, you’ll be proud of it. A ford escort will get you to the theatre but its nicer to roll up in a BMW
Old 05-05-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Just picking up a sako will show you the difference, but its got to fit you or its no better than a cheap gun.. will it shoot any better, maybe not but if it fits, you’ll be proud of it. A ford escort will get you to the theatre but its nicer to roll up in a BMW
Damn straight!
Old 05-05-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Laughing! Are you comparing a Sako to a BMW? Maybe a Toyota with pleather seats would be more appropriate.

-Billy Molls

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 05-05-2019 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Laughing! Are you comparing a Sako to a BMW? Maybe a Toyota with pleather seats would be more appropriate.
I thought Tikka was like Toyota?

But I own S2 Ford Ranger - made by Mazda - so wadda I know?
Old 05-05-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
I thought Tikka was like Toyota?

But I own S2 Ford Ranger - made by Mazda - so wadda I know?

If Tikka is Toyota (Fine vehicles) then Sako is Lexus. Step up by same manufacturer.

BMW and several rifle manufacturers take that up another notch.

Toyota's/Tikkas are still far better options than plain Jane low end domestics that get the job done for a couple of years then have zero trade in value.

Last edited by 270person; 05-05-2019 at 10:26 AM.