Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2019, 10:10 PM

Default Norwegian Bliss

Got an Alaskan cruise booked with the wife on Norwegian Bliss. Having never cruised before I’m not sure what to expect. Has anyone in the wide world of AO cruised with Norwegian specifically on the Bliss? An Alaskan cruise is on my bucket list so we shall see what I think. The trip we have is the inside passage up to glacier bay and back leaving from Seattle.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:21 PM

We have used Princess for our last 4 trips mostly Europe.

Now if you have this trip planned, An Alaskan cruise is on my bucket list so we shall see what I think. The trip we have is the inside passage up to glacier bay and back leaving from Seattle., best plan is to get another couple, one couple cruise then the other drives up, then switch when returning, best of the look for both couples
Old 04-23-2019, 10:43 PM

We were on this ship during our Caribbean cruise in February. The ship is huge, it’s new and beautiful. The food was great and the service was impeccable. The ship takes 4000 passengers and there are 2000 crew members.
He is my two cents: take a cabin with a balcony! Yes I know it is more expensive but to be able to sleep with the open door listening to the sound of waves is priceless. Also, if you like to drink - make sure you have a drink package. Otherwise, it will cost you arm and leg for the beer etc. They do nickel and dime you to death!
Stay away from the excursions that are offered by the ship. Go on trip advisor and find out local company and guides who will show you around. Will be less expensive and way better experience away from the bus full of people.
Bliss has very nice restaurants that are a part of the dining package. They also have buffet and a nice quiet deck with a snack bar, bar and a killer views of the outside where you will see no rowdy crowds or kids....
Smoking is only allowed at the rear of the ship. If you smoke cigars- there is a cigar only lounge in a middle.
Can’t think of anything else now. But if you have any particular questions - just ask.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:22 AM

The ship takes 4000 passengers and there are 2000 crew members.

I refer to it as Cattle Tourism. Had the privilege of experiencing it in Skagway. They overwhelm any port they land at., making it impossible to have a really enjoyable experience and the exploiters of tourists are lined up to welcome them. In fact, on the Alaskan routes, cruise ships are the prime economic movers. Most of the population heads south after the cruising season ends.

Grizz
Old 04-24-2019, 10:18 AM

If there's more than two people on a boat, it's too crowded for me.

Best trip I ever had was just me and a buddy - and we each had our own boat!

When I read the headline "Norwegian Bliss", I thought it was in praise of a good brand of Aquavit. That can be pretty blissful, if you do it right.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:03 AM

No comment on the ship. We have done the trip on a smaller boat.

Just if a stop on your trip is in Ketchikan there are two things --- lots of small operators that will take you out fishing with time to get back to the boat and second when we went the last time, there was a tour "Deadliest Catch" that had one of the smaller crab fishing boats. They run through the gear, stories of their trips and head out to show how traps are set and pulled.

Both are good otherwise the town is small and a tourist trap.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
The ship takes 4000 passengers and there are 2000 crew members. So, fair warning, I'm biased.

I refer to it as Cattle Tourism. Had the privilege of experiencing it in Skagway. They overwhelm any port they land at., making it impossible to have a really enjoyable experience and the exploiters of tourists are lined up to welcome them. In fact, on the Alaskan routes, cruise ships are the prime economic movers. Most of the population heads south after the cruising season ends.

Grizz
Yeah, these are my sentiments exactly. This I say from the privileged point of view of having spent several summers of my 20s sailing the inside passage while being paid to do so.

The town of Seward is only about 3k people. Although I think they stagger the entry/exit of a ship to avoid swarming such towns, you can imagine that things become very busy. Contrast that with my experience, where I flew to Anchorage, rented a car and drove around the Kenai pennisula in the middle of peak tourist season. I enjoyed several fishing trips and all the amenities of Alaska without ever feeling swamped by other people. I'm sure the sailing part will be breathtaking, but the port calls are probably not so great unless you like crowds and tourist trap extortion. Just my two cents.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:15 PM

Cattle tourism or mass tourism- same thing. The OP probably realized that there are many more people on board than just him.
On the same note, I was ready to start biting people’s leg after about 4 days of cruising. That was way too many people for my likening. My wife didn’t mind it at all, so as the rest of our group of 14 people.
Regardless of how many people are there, we had never had to wait for a drink at the bar longer than 3-4 min. As I said, the service was top notch!
Old 04-24-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Cattle tourism or mass tourism- same thing. The OP probably realized that there are many more people on board than just him.
On the same note, I was ready to start biting people’s leg after about 4 days of cruising. That was way too many people for my likening. My wife didn’t mind it at all, so as the rest of our group of 14 people.
Regardless of how many people are there, we had never had to wait for a drink at the bar longer than 3-4 min. As I said, the service was top notch!
Wait I’m not the only one on the ship?? Darn... I know there is a lot of people and I know a ship will increase a ports population significantly. I was just wondering what it’s like on the boat accommodation, service, food, entertainment wise etc...
Old 04-24-2019, 03:06 PM
Banned

https://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcal...e_id=24&page=2

Go to that link, find your exact cruise and start chatting with other guests that will be aboard. Dont be afraid to make plans to meet different folks and there very well might be a "Meet and Great" set up with a few free drinks. Excellent way to start to meet people.

Lots of reviews about your specific ship and your specific Itinerary.

This was a invaluable tool on our cruises.

Tell me about your room? Have a Balcony? Where in the ship is it? Watch out for what is above you and below you. Make sure your not right in front of a elevator. Centre mass of the ship has less movement.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:01 PM

Opened this post thinking it was regarding a new pot strain.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:44 PM

I have driven Alaska and taken the cruise (with Holland America which usually has about 2000 tourists). Enjoyed the beautiful scenery from the ship and will never forget how much I ate and ate and ate. Then one late evening was the chocolate extravaganza, sculptures of chocolate decadence. Yes take the drinks package as individual drinks, even pop can be very expensive. If the staterooms have not been fully booked then you can get discounts on them once you are on board. You do get more roll of the ship the higher you go. I spent very little time in my room except to go to sleep.
So breakfast buffet, walk around the deck and before you know it time for lunch buffet. Then off to a movie and then dress for evening feast. Then take in an evening show or dance. Back in 2000 there was no contact with the world from the ship, no radio, no TV, no internet. The ports of call were nice just to get off the ship but all I remember were T-shirts, and trinkets and Ulu knives for sale. I did not go on any of the very expensive tours. My cost back then was 700 for the cruise plus 300 port fees and I think I ate that much.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Wait I’m not the only one on the ship?? Darn... I know there is a lot of people and I know a ship will increase a ports population significantly. I was just wondering what it’s like on the boat accommodation, service, food, entertainment wise etc...
As I already mentioned. Accommodation was very good but we did buy the balcony room. Service was impeccable and the food was very good also. I’m really a picky eater but I can’t complain on food whatsoever. The buffet at the Bellagio in Vegas was crap compared to the Bliss.
Entertainment was ok, not super great, just ok.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
As I already mentioned. Accommodation was very good but we did buy the balcony room. Service was impeccable and the food was very good also. I’m really a picky eater but I can’t complain on food whatsoever. The buffet at the Bellagio in Vegas was crap compared to the Bliss.
Entertainment was ok, not super great, just ok.
To quote Red Green: A cruise is something we do, so our friends can't watch us over eat.

Grizz
Old 04-27-2019, 02:54 AM

I have done an alaskan cruise, not on that ship but i wouldnt book a balcony room so i could sleep with the window open....its an alaskan cruise, not tropical one....

Yes every port is lined with vendors of junk and jewellery owned by the cruiselines.

The scenery is amazing and seeing some of glaciers is impressive. I enjoyed it two years ago and am supposed to go again in June but working in France may screw up that plan...we will see
Old 05-19-2019, 06:54 PM

Well we set sail today. So far pretty impressed although I feel bad for some of the staff. I’ve seen several rude guests so far, the worst ironically were Norwegian... wife just won a 250$ spa treatment so that’s quite cool! Very clean ship and awesome staff. I’m amazed at the variety of nationalities the crew. Haven’t seen anyone from North America yet.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:20 PM

Awesome. I sail out of Seattle on the 31 of may for a one week cruise. Ovation of the seas with myDad.