Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-16-2019, 06:42 PM

Default May long weekend FIRE BAN

Happy fishing season opener & May long weekend everyone.

Enjoy a big fat fire ban for the majority of the enjoyable north end of the province.

https://albertafirebans.ca/?fbclid=I...8jyqEkVwB5utY4

I had a 3 day canoe trip planned for Lakeland Provincial Park, and just like the same trip last year, the day before we depart we get a fire ban.

Could anyone suggest anywhere else in the province to do "back country" camping on a lake that's not in a banned zone? Want to avoid commercial campgrounds. (I don't like people)
Old 05-17-2019, 09:01 AM

Default Fire ban

BC is burning already this year, Alberta very dry and you are crying about not being able to have a fire, enjoy the fishing!
Old 05-17-2019, 09:16 AM

Lots of areas without a fire ban,

https://www.albertafirebans.ca/
Old 05-17-2019, 09:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIDDY View Post
Happy fishing season opener & May long weekend everyone.

Enjoy a big fat fire ban for the majority of the enjoyable north end of the province.

https://albertafirebans.ca/?fbclid=I...8jyqEkVwB5utY4

I had a 3 day canoe trip planned for Lakeland Provincial Park, and just like the same trip last year, the day before we depart we get a fire ban.

Could anyone suggest anywhere else in the province to do "back country" camping on a lake that's not in a banned zone? Want to avoid commercial campgrounds. (I don't like people)
From your post I bet a lot don't like you either.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:23 AM

Brazeau County put up a fire advisory, on April 26th.
It’s has since snowed for nearly a week, and we've had some good rains for the last 3 out of 5 days.
It’s 4x4 on any lease road, and as of the 14th the forestry sign indicated a low fire risk...... it does make one question the actuality of the situation in our county.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 05-17-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:24 AM

Where do you folks see in his post that he thinks he should still be able to have a fire? Should he be happy that every year there Is a fire ban? Sounds like he’s disappointed is all. As should be. Then goes on to ask a legitimate question. Shake your heads.
I too am disappointed when it’s so dry out that a fire ban is warranted.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:26 AM

SW AB is sopping wet. Snowing now and rain/flurries forecast for most of the weekend. Stay away from SW AB
Old 05-18-2019, 04:28 PM
Gone Hunting

I don't see anyone complaining either. All I see is one guy looking for a alternate place to go.

We are burning up, up here.

Our biggest fire doubled in size yesterday. From 2,000 to 4,000 hect-whatevers.

Here, I hope the fire ban is strictly enforced. We don't need any more fires.

Thank you FIDDY for doing the responsible thing and looking for an alternative. Wish I could help you but I'm not familiar with the places available down south.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-18-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I don't see anyone complaining either. All I see is one guy looking for a alternate place to go.

We are burning up, up here.

Our biggest fire doubled in size yesterday. From 2,000 to 4,000 hect-whatevers.

Here, I hope the fire ban is strictly enforced. We don't need any more fires.

Thank you FIDDY for doing the responsible thing and looking for an alternative. Wish I could help you but I'm not familiar with the places available down south.
I sure hope the winds die down and a good steady rain moves into your area of the province Keg.

BW
Old 05-19-2019, 08:13 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Glad they did it as we are really dry here and throw in a bunch of idiots over the long wk end well something would spark up.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-19-2019, 09:47 AM

Yikes, some of you guys are quick to be a dick!

Yes, I was disappointed about the fire ban. Camping is a much more enjoyable experience for me when I can have a fire.

I don't do "campgrounds", I prefer to go exploring places that are difficult to access far away from the weekend warriors who trash the place and leave a mess.

The majority of wild fires that burn out of control are caused by lightning, many small brush fires are caused by human negligence but are often manageable as they are typically detected quickly and not in remote areas. It's a shame that responsible people have to miss out because of this.

I ended up scouring satellite maps of the area around Edmonton comparing them to the albertafirebans.ca map and decided to do a ~43km trip on the NSR from Genessee to Devon camping on an island along the way.

Hauled out a lot of trash left behind by other campers as well as rubbish washed down the river including a folding chair, numerous plastic bottles, food wrappers etc... Tried to haul out a large piece of thick green plastic construction material but it hardly fit in the canoe so we had to leave it behind propped up on an island - hopefully someone with a larger boat will spot it and take it out.

At times the wind was so strong blowing opposite the flow of the river it felt like we were standing still despite pretty fast current and hard paddling!

Spotted countless deer, two moose fording the river, what I believe were Golden Eagle's feasting on something right near our camp spot, coyotes, what looked like a dead black bear cub, and one fully naked adult male by himself on the rivers edge living his best life.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, here's hoping for a smoke free summer & lowered fire advisories.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:32 AM

We had pop's around the propane fire pit last night almost the same without the smoke, if a kid drops his weiner in the fire it's easy to retrieve they really suck up the propane although no wood the split is a bonus.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:07 PM
Gone Hunting

update.

The fire west of Manning doubled in size again today. But it's small in comparison to the fire just south of High Level.

Photo posted on facebook by a friend. Photo taken on the sough side of High Level.
The fire is at present, moving away from town in a northwesterly direction.

The highway #35 south of High Level is closed as is the road between Rainbow Lake and High Level.
Traffic is being routed south via hwy 58 and 88 or 58 and the Tompkin's road.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-20-2019, 09:10 AM

Yeah, the fires are bad, they've been bad for years and I'm sure they'll continue to be bad for years to come.

If my tone was construed as complaining that fire bans exist, that's not how it was meant. Obviously all efforts to prevent and control these fires are needed, It's just frustrating that it happens every summer, all summer, and in my case summer is the only few months of the year that I like to get out every chance I can get to enjoy it (My choice, I work all winter and don't enjoy the cold).

I know that I always practice the most responsible and low impact camping / campfires that I know how to, but I know that's definitely not the case for everyone else. I'll continue to follow the rules and continue to pout about it

Cheers.

More from High Level:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fire1.jpg (17.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg fire2.jpg (11.2 KB, 42 views)
Old 05-20-2019, 02:48 PM
Banned

I think it’s another year for keeping ones opinions to one’s self when there is currently an evacuation in effect in this province.
If we see anything like Fort Mac or worse this year it wouldn’t be polite to bitch and moan over something so trivial when someone else is going through way worse than you.

Not pointing to you specifically OP.
Wasn’t meant in that way.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
I think it’s another year for keeping ones opinions to one’s self when there is currently an evacuation in effect in this province.
If we see anything like Fort Mac or worse this year it wouldn’t be polite to bitch and moan over something so trivial when someone else is going through way worse than you.

Definitely, I hope it doesn't come to that again.

It's easy to sit here and complain from the safety of a major city, now that the weekend has mostly passed and I've got to go play outside and cool off I can see the selfishness in my gripe.

Here's to hoping that the fires die down, everyone's homes stay safe and if we're lucky a lift on the bans
Old 05-20-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post

Oh Lord I hope everyone makes it out alive!
Fire bans are nothing to complain about in my opinion.......
Cat
Old 05-20-2019, 05:27 PM

High Level is being evacuated now. May everyone be safe up there.