Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2022, 10:32 AM

Default Hmm....New CT Scanner

In the Calgary Herald, they ran a story this week about an Albertan doing fundraising for a CT scanner for a hospital. Okay fair enough sounds very commendable. However, the CT scanner is for the Vernon Jubilee Hospital in Vernon B.C.. Seems this individual along with his wealthy friends have cabins and cottages out on Okanagan or Kal Lake and wouldn't it be nice to have access to this medical equipment if you, your family of loved ones needed it.
But wait a minute, this is a public and not private hospital in Vernon. Isn't there a waiting list for access to such equipment? And just my opinion, there are a lot of rural hospitals here in Alberta needing old and outdated equipment replaced. Why not spend the money you made in Alberta in your home province and help out a fellow Albertan. There are a lot of rich people in Vernon, such as the guy who owns a grocery chain out there who could buy a brand new CT scanner at the snap of his fingers - if he chose to. These are strange and interesting times we live in now.
Old 12-15-2022, 10:59 AM

The TRUTH about the fundraising industry, is that it an industry!

Your do gooder fund raisers getting money to buy health care equipment for a BC Hospital smells like a fund raising company is at work with a "Spokesperson" to lead the giving, and the taking.

There are many organizations wearing the badge of honour of some good purpose or another, who claim to be charities. When you look into it, you discover that they are most charitable to THEMSELVES!!!

The Wages pulled in by the Executive, the commissions paid to the fundraising COMPANIES (yes, you can hire some one to go beg donations for you) the advertising, the offices, etc will often see that 90 % of the DONATION ends up going to some other party or purpose.

Sometimes, as little as 5 % actually ends up being used for the good cause.

Sometimes, it is an absolute fraud and nothing goes to the cause as was discovered in the Haiti Hurricane Relief donations.

Then there are outfits like WE FOUNDATION and the DAVID SUZUKI FOUNDATION. Such outfits are used for a political purpose or agenda.

If you read the David Suzuki Foundation 2021 Annual Report, you will see lots of lobbying and claims of impact on Government Policy, but I COULD NOT FIND A SINGLE PROJECT where the Foundation had planted a tree, or purchased land to set aside as habitat, or sponsored a solar power project for a community. SO what was the money actually used for?

If anyone could point out where the Report identifies an expenditure on planting a tree, or purchasing land to set aside as habitat, or sponsoring a solar power project for a community, or any capital project that would make a difference for the environment, please tell me.

They brought in about $14 Million, and spend about $11 Million???? Then there was the money in their ENDOWMENT, which grew by about $1 Million??

That money could land bank alot of critical habitat that is marginal farm land. That preserved habitat would make a big difference to the environment, sort of like what BUCK FOR WILDLIFE" and ALBERTA CONSERVATION ASSOCIATION is doing.

Funny thing, its the hunters and fishermen of Alberta who are the true environmentalists through our licence dollars.

Drewski
Old 12-15-2022, 04:54 PM

I always make sure where my donations are going. I wholeheartedly support local, doesn't matter if it's minor hockey, boys or girls scout, local hospital, as long as its in the valley. We still get kids selling chocolate bars but they come from Calgary in a van full and I will not support them.
Old 12-15-2022, 06:41 PM

The TRUTH about the fundraising industry, is that it an industry!

Yup and the people doing it are usually professionals hired by a charity, some of whose "overhead" exceeds what is spent on their cause.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 12-15-2022, 07:47 PM
Banned

Trudeau foundation enough said
We will give your country billions
A nice donation in return would be appreciated
Then we won’t look into tanks your buying instead of your “green” initiatives