Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-25-2020, 02:00 PM

Default Pros and cons of inviting friends fishing

Some friends are of the "couldn't find bait" crowd, or, didn't know if I should've brought leaders? Of course not, the lake is primarily Albertagators, that snelled hook on 6lb test will completely suffice.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty generous on the lake but,,

Actual question (separate vehicles), "will there be gravel roads?"

Gravel? Of course, then mud, then a boulder, a hole or two.

A family member who loves fishing but of the downtown condo crowd and about as acclimated to the outdoors as an agoraphobic on the porch asked if we could go somewhere not windy. So I made sure to pick a locale that had 60kmh wind and a simple blind for wind block,, one of the best days this year,, she's slowly getting it.

I always wonder about trips where it's from the tag along sticky. Good, bad.

Rant and rave at will...
Old 11-25-2020, 05:30 PM

the only real complaint i have is i spent alot of money on my tackle like everyone else and i was invited to go fishing at a popular stocked pond. everyone (5 people) has their own rods and tackle boxes full of gear. we get there within 10 to 15 mins my tackle box is 80% empty, i asked what happened to all my gear and everyone was using my gear and said they will put it back at the end of the trip. yup you guessed it .... i ended up going home with an 80% empty tackle box. last time i fished with them.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:50 PM

Pike fishing on tip ups is where its at. You cant break one of my rods if you aren't using it. Watching people with little to no experience pulling up 5lb pike never gets old for me. Just dont wrap the tip up line around your hand and expect it not to be all knotted up.

If I am fishing for pike, more the better in my eyes.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:39 PM

I always try and take a deckhand. First they pay for fuel but they also park the truck after I take the boat off, they’re a second set of hands and eyes, someone to talk with, can steer the boat or clear lines while one guy is fighting fish, they can run the gaff, hand me tools if we break down... the list goes on.

I haven’t had one break anything or lose a lure yet but when it happens I’m not going to stress. If a toothy fish cuts the line on the strike it’s my fault for not running wire. If the line breaks either the knot wasn’t up to snuff, the line got cut by teeth or from rubbing against a bill or tail or another fish hit the swivel or lure after it slipped up the leader.
Old 11-27-2020, 02:05 AM

Started fishing with my older father again after only going together a few times since I was a kid. LOL how things change. He took me because I loved fishing but he did not know much about it. Remember siting on a dock for hours as a kid on a camping trip with a spoon sitting on the bottom of the lake waiting for a fish to bite. I didn't know any better but I was FISHING.

Recently I heard him taking to a friend and said "fishing with my son is like going on one of those charter fishing trips. He takes me to the spots, tells me what to use, nets the fish, removes the hook, and if I get a taggle he gives me his rod while he fixes it."
Old 11-27-2020, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCowboy View Post
Started fishing with my older father again after only going together a few times since I was a kid. LOL how things change. He took me because I loved fishing but he did not know much about it. Remember siting on a dock for hours as a kid on a camping trip with a spoon sitting on the bottom of the lake waiting for a fish to bite. I didn't know any better but I was FISHING.

Recently I heard him taking to a friend and said "fishing with my son is like going on one of those charter fishing trips. He takes me to the spots, tells me what to use, nets the fish, removes the hook, and if I get a taggle he gives me his rod while he fixes it."
Beautiful
Old 11-27-2020, 06:55 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Loose lips sink ships.....and friends you need to keep closer....

Enemies are a blessing...at least you know who they are

I always drill an extra large ice hole...when asked why I say you keep tipping and that's your last hole

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-27-2020, 08:32 AM

Choose your friends carefully.
Fishing, hunting or otherwise, it's a good motto
Old 11-27-2020, 09:46 AM

I keep my fishing buddy loop tight, it’s literally guys I have known 10+ years that have charged info with me and vice versa. It’s a circle of trust, if we want to bring a tag along to any of our more hush hush spots it’s just a group text away to ensure everyone’s cool with it.

*Disclaimer* this excludes perch hotspots we take those to the grave.
Old 11-27-2020, 02:31 PM

When you tell someone what lure worked, there's a riot outside your favourite fishin store.

D.

Old 11-28-2020, 10:51 AM

Pros
Makes loading and unloading boat faster .
Helps pay for fuel .
I enjoy watching people catch fish especially when its their first fish.

Cons
They bring to much stuff like 3 rods and 3 tackle boxes etc.
Bring stuff they would not snack on in there car like spits that end up in the boat
But the worst is they want to go in after 2 hrs of fishing

Last edited by -JR-; 11-28-2020 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:54 AM

I have taken many many many friends' kids fishing, and my kids' friends and PARENTS fishing over the years.

For the most part, the first fish ever caught by these kids, and many parents, was in my boat.

All the same, on one occasion I took a neighbour's son in law, and the son in law's father out. I did not know the old guy had had a stroke.

It was cold, it was rough, it was rainy, and the fish were biting. The pair brought really bad rods with old line, so I said use my rods and tackle.

Sure enough the old guy drops a new rod overboard. He apologises, but does not offer to pay for it. I tell him it will be $100 to replace it and re spool it with spiderwire. He starts to negotiate down!!!! I tell him what it was new and what the line costs a spool and he cannot believe it continues to argue. I say that is what it is to replace it and invite him to look it up on his phone.

We kept on fishing and the bite was really on. There was one more rod, of the same type he dropped over, sitting in the boat. He said "They're really hitting, maybe I should use that other rod". I replied, "No, you can't even afford the first one".

Needless to say never saw the old guy again and the son in law never paid.

Drewski
Old 11-28-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
But the worst is they want to go in after 2 hrs of fishing
That's the real clincher for me; friends know I'm pretty die hard fishing guy and I even bring all those things to make things comfortable,, extra gloves socks heat packs what have you.

The other buyer is; hey, if you're heading out, give me a ring so I can tagalong. Then it's a game of scheduling,not giving enough notice, etc.

My other die hard friends know that I'm ready when I wake,, it's not a "... Gee, I'd like to try my hand at fishing,,, now what do I need and will I make it home to watch my favorite show."

I guess I'm getting older, so be it.

Ope! One more; " can you get the hook out while I get my camera ready?" Or " I don't like handling Pike".

IMO, some people like the idea of fishing, just not the details of fishing; if you can't handle a maggot or stomach cleaning a fish, maybe take up the hobby of Netflix.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
I have taken many many many friends' kids fishing, and my kids' friends and PARENTS fishing over the years.

For the most part, the first fish ever caught by these kids, and many parents, was in my boat.

All the same, on one occasion I took a neighbour's son in law, and the son in law's father out. I did not know the old guy had had a stroke.

It was cold, it was rough, it was rainy, and the fish were biting. The pair brought really bad rods with old line, so I said use my rods and tackle.

Sure enough the old guy drops a new rod overboard. He apologises, but does not offer to pay for it. I tell him it will be $100 to replace it and re spool it with spiderwire. He starts to negotiate down!!!! I tell him what it was new and what the line costs a spool and he cannot believe it continues to argue. I say that is what it is to replace it and invite him to look it up on his phone.

We kept on fishing and the bite was really on. There was one more rod, of the same type he dropped over, sitting in the boat. He said "They're really hitting, maybe I should use that other rod". I replied, "No, you can't even afford the first one".

Needless to say never saw the old guy again and the son in law never paid.

Drewski
I completely empathize.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:51 AM

I find I spend so much time fishing with the wife and kids that there isn't the will or patience to bring brand new people out anymore. I feel an adult should be able to at least somewhat take care of themselves if set in the right direction but to often that is not the case.

Don't even get me started about friends inviting their friends to tag along. Just won't have it anymore.

I'm not a people person lol.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:36 AM

na
Old 11-29-2020, 08:38 AM

Before the trip ,I will ask them how old the mono is on their rod .
I tell them they need to change it before the trip, as its 5 years old !

They tell me after they lost 3 of my hooks they did not change it .

This is why I supply all the gear for newbes now .
Old 11-29-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCowboy View Post

That's a great story. My dad was never into fishing and I can only recall him ever going with me a couple times when I was really young. As an adult I could never get him in the boat....and we had a cabin at a great walleye/pike/perch lake in SK. My ol'man and I had little in common I'm afraid and a part of me always wishes we did have something we did together we both enjoyed.

I took my son lots when he was a kid but he was always bored and wanted to go home after 15 min's. Eventually he got big enough/old enough I just left his butt behind in the cabin and went. He's making noise like he'd like to go fishing with me now (and hunting too!) so I'm planning on taking him in the spring.

I've take quite a few people out and seem to always be handing out jigs. I don't mind too much as the most anybody has ever lost in one day is 3 or 4 and at about $2+ each, I can live with that. It's worth it to see the smiles.

I have an Ugly Stik rod I keep as a spare. It has an old Shimano reel that still works ok.........not great, but ok.........lol. I let people use that one, not one of my two expensive rod/reels. I do not loan either of my two good rod/reels to anybody but my oldest/best friend in the world. We've been fishing together for 40 some years and he's the ONLY person I'd hand one of my good rods to. Not that it's necessary, he brings his two favorites along when he comes.............LOL. Come to think of it, my backup rod is one he gave me..................so's the old Shimano on the Ugly Stik

I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 11-29-2020, 08:58 AM

After many years of friends not wanting to leave for the lake until well after 9 am, won’t get minnows because cabelas makes them wear masks and bass pro didn’t have any, forget to pay for gas, stomp chips into my boat carpet, roll a pike around on the carpet for ten minutes cuz they are scared to touch it. Bring all trout stuff when pike fishing. Want me to bait their hooks, remove the fish. I must be crabby now a days but I prefer to fish alone
Old 11-29-2020, 09:07 AM

Like what some one said above,im not a people person. I tend to live up to my handle i guess. Male bonding isn't really in my vocabulary so because I know that I keep to myself. Fishing for me is about peace and quiet. Each to there own.
Old 11-29-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
Like what some one said above,im not a people person. I tend to live up to my handle i guess. Male bonding isn't really in my vocabulary so because I know that I keep to myself. Fishing for me is about peace and quiet. Each to there own.
I couldn't agree more. Solitude and tranquility go hand in hand!
Old 11-29-2020, 03:57 PM

I only fish with those that r willing to get up real early. If they do that normally shows commitment. One of my best committed partners is my grandson who is 8. He will either wake me up at 4am or will jump out of bed when I wake him up.
If I do take newbies I prep myself knowing it’s a learning day. I never fish and only give guidance. I don’t have any ugly sticks in the boat so having one go overboard would be a major **** off. So far I’ve been lucky. When my sons were young I would tie a string from the rod to their wrist just in case. Probably still not a bad idea
Old 11-29-2020, 07:48 PM

What gets me is when I take someone fishing, I drive the boat, pick the spots, supply rods reel bait etc, pick the lure tie it on & bait it if required, show them how to present the lure, net their fish & clean it. Then they brag because they caught more fish than I did!
Old 11-29-2020, 10:01 PM

One of my most memorable guided fishin trips was when I volunteered to take 8 guys from the Bethany Care Home here in Sylvan fishin to the main Pier in 2019, before Covid. I brought everything from rods, tackle, bait & the net and did we all have fun. These guys were as old as your grandfather, a number of them had dementia and were in wheel chairs we had life jackets for each of them and they caught and I landed a number of fish for them. It was 2 hours of the best time these guys had in a long time, they all had fish stories to tell their family, unfortunately, most of them didn't remember they even went fishin the next day.

Sometimes it's the little things that make you smile.

D.

Old 11-29-2020, 10:49 PM

I cant stand the ones that show up late, and then when they finally get there say they just need to stop and get their license/coffee/bait/lunch on the way.

Now a days in the boat with my old man. I have to pack the boat and remember all of his gear (the boat and gear are stored in his garage), Tie his rods up for him and the majority of the time take his fish off, all he wants to do is show up. I cant exactly pin point the time in which I became the adult and he became the kid, but it gets him out and us spending time together, so I will keep doing what's necessary to keep that going.

Having guided I have seen it all to. Guys spend thousands to come to a fly in trophy fishing lodge and show up with $20 Zebco combos then want your personal equipment when there's fails. They want to head back to the lodge when it rains as they are wet and cold because they bought the cheapest rain gear they cold find or brought there old stuff from 30 years ago that is no longer water proof. Also don't want to buy bait at the lodge because it is to expensive then wonder why the other boats that came in at lunch out fished them 5 to 1. I have got so many stories....
Old 11-30-2020, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
One of my most memorable guided fishin trips was when I volunteered to take 8 guys from the Bethany Care Home here in Sylvan fishin to the main Pier in 2019, before Covid. I brought everything from rods, tackle, bait & the net and did we all have fun. These guys were as old as your grandfather, a number of them had dementia and were in wheel chairs we had life jackets for each of them and they caught and I landed a number of fish for them. It was 2 hours of the best time these guys had in a long time, they all had fish stories to tell their family, unfortunately, most of them didn't remember they even went fishin the next day.

Sometimes it's the little things that make you smile.

D.
Good on you. Iam sure they will remember parts of that day. Seeing those smiles r as good as catching that giant fish
Old 11-30-2020, 07:46 AM
Banned

Some of my best days have come when I'm fishing with 50 or 100 of my friends and associates...

Free