Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2020, 11:22 AM

Default Erin O'toole

How happy are you with him in the first few days? I love his appointments and find him very leader like. Anyone else?

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-09-2020, 11:31 AM

Sheer in the shadow cabinet ?

Grizz
Old 09-09-2020, 11:44 AM

Well, I was pretty good till he said he was going to sign on with the Paris Accord. If he keeps going down that path he will end up being no different than the Liberals.
Old 09-09-2020, 12:31 PM

I was a PM supporter but no problem getting behind EO ... and if moving the party a bit left is what is necessary to form the next government, so be it.
Old 09-09-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
I was a PM supporter but no problem getting behind EO ... and if moving the party a bit left is what is necessary to form the next government, so be it.
Likely the only realistic chance. Move left, appeal to Quebec, and play to whatever it is the 905 area code wants. Sucks to say it, but true.
Old 09-09-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Likely the only realistic chance. Move left, appeal to Quebec, and play to whatever it is the 905 area code wants. Sucks to say it, but true.
Not disagreeing, but how far left do we move to make a party electable and still consider ourselves conservatives?
Old 09-09-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Not disagreeing, but how far left do we move to make a party electable and still consider ourselves conservatives?

Absolutely correct.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:38 PM

New conservatives are not being created out of thin air. To have a hope you need draw in those who are on the right fringe of the Liberals.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 09-09-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
“Conservatism” is evolving and there is no going back to the good old days to have a chance of being electable...and that has to be the goal if there is to be any hope of stemming the tide.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
“Conservatism” is evolving and there is no going back to the good old days to have a chance of being electable...and that has to be the goal if there is to be any hope of stemming the tide.

The fact that a true conservative is almost un-electable in Canada is what has convinced me it is time for Alberta to Separate. Eastern values and Western values are now way too far apart. The West has got screwed since Confederation, now it is just going to get 10 times worse as the EAst is openly hostile to Western Canada.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:17 PM

I'm not really a fan. As much as it suck looks matter here in Canada and he has the looks of every other doughy white guy the conservative have put forward. Even the media has capitalized on this be talking about EOs physical appearance compared to the older JT.

They should have elected women at least.
Sliding to the left will continue to fan the fires of separatism this side of hills

I fear we will see JT with 4 more years...

buy gold our paper will be worth nothing soon
Old 09-09-2020, 03:18 PM

I'll still give him,my support.Once he is the PM,then he better do an about face.Start looking after Alberta.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:24 PM
AO Sponsor

Yeah it sucks to say but how long do you hold on just to prove a point all the while slowly going extinct? Do you eventually start making the best decision possible for the moment that is in front of you knowing it isn't ideal even thought it is the lesser of two evils or do you cling on to your moral judgements just to be able to watch the world burn and can say "I told you so!"?

Options are limited folks, and if we want to pout in the corner while everyone else keeps moving, then so be it, but if you really want to do something about it, make the best out of what you can while trying to demonstrate a better way and hope to change a few minds along the way.

Unless it is AO of course... Nobody here ever changes their minds! Just look at the 9000 Covid threads!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 09-09-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
I'll still give him,my support.Once he is the PM,then he better do an about face.Start looking after Alberta.
That didn't happen with Harper at the helm. What makes you think the guy with a seat in Ontario will do better?
Old 09-09-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean2 View Post
well, i was pretty good till he said he was going to sign on with the paris accord. If he keeps going down that path he will end up being no different than the liberals.
ditto!!

Love to Live, Live to Shoot
Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...
Old 09-09-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKP View Post
That didn't happen with Harper at the helm. What makes you think the guy with a seat in Ontario will do better?
At least harper was moving forward, the clown in Ottawa now has set Canada back fifty years.....
You can get behind the toole or you can support the turd...The choice is yours, and many on this forum supported the trud and look where that has gotten us.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:08 PM

Canadian politics swing like a pendulum and the Liberals will not form government in perpetuity. Electors eventually tire of entitlement. We will have another Conservative government long before western separatism gains traction.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Yeah it sucks to say but how long do you hold on just to prove a point all the while slowly going extinct? Do you eventually start making the best decision possible for the moment that is in front of you knowing it isn't ideal even thought it is the lesser of two evils or do you cling on to your moral judgements just to be able to watch the world burn and can say "I told you so!"?

Options are limited folks, and if we want to pout in the corner while everyone else keeps moving, then so be it, but if you really want to do something about it, make the best out of what you can while trying to demonstrate a better way and hope to change a few minds along the way.
Dead-on and fluent as usual, Tirebob. As an aside, I wish I could produce cogent, fluid prose the way that you do.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:28 PM

Triple post.

Last edited by sk270; 09-09-2020 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 04:28 PM

Double post.

Last edited by sk270; 09-09-2020 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post

Unless it is AO of course... Nobody here ever changes their minds! Just look at the 9000 Covid threads!
I know what you’re saying, but it’s a little disingenuous to say you either move more liberal or you are just a pouter. I don’t see it that way.

See we can move left until the conservatives vote in the Justin of 2015 instead of the Justin of 2020. To me that is not a win. That is not progress. That is insanity. That is something I can never lean to, nor could any conservative.

Now I’m not gonna pout either. Maybe, just maybe I will point out that conservatives don’t exist in Canada and continue to split the vote until we either are forced to separate allowing us our own destiny or till we run this thing into the ground so hard we gotta hit the reset button. Either option is fine by me, but with either option, the sooner the better.

Confederation is broken, Canada is sinking, look out for you and yours.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Canadian politics swing like a pendulum and the Liberals will not form government in perpetuity. Electors eventually tire of entitlement. We will have another Conservative government long before western separatism gains traction.
That would be an odd swinging pendulum. You see a pendulum must swing from one equal distance to another equal distance. The Canadian politics has never ever swung right, just less left. It’s like somebody put a bungee cord in the center of a pendulum swing and that is how Canadian politics swings.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:24 PM

It doesn't matter if you love him or hate him. The odds of the conservatives forming a majority government are effectively zero. At best they can count on a third of votes in Canada, most concentrated in AB and SK. So they have to pander to QC and ON and Maritimes to be elected. They won't do us much good.

But keep on hoping. I still try.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-09-2020, 09:32 PM

Not impressed, and I am not even a Social Conservative.

Not down with catering to Liberals with the Paris Pandering.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:37 PM
Banned

In order for a Conservative government to get elected they need the votes in the East. A Liberal government doesn’t need Western votes to get elected. If getting Eastern votes means making concessions then so be it. At least some Conservative values will return to Canada. After that O’Toole has four years to de-program people and steer us in the right direction.

Last election seven Conservative seats were lost due to people voting for Maxime Bernier. In the end it didn’t matter but here we go again with Wexit.....sigh. Separation may sound great but splitting the vote will ultimately guarantee a perpetual Liberal government. Talk about shooting your self in the foot!

For some no one will ever be Conservative enough for them. I think that they should look more at what Liberal policies they are getting rid of and the Conservative policies that they will get with O’Toole and forget about the policies that they want but aren’t part of the Conservative platform.

I personally like O’Toole because I’m fully aware that we need votes in all regions of Canada, not just the West. I think that he’ll garner votes in QC and ON. He has relatively strong support in both of those provinces and that’s what’s needed to oust sparkly socks.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:38 PM

he is the other side of the same coin that trudeau comes from. when are people going to start realizing nearly all of them are on the same side?
Old 09-09-2020, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submoa_hunter View Post
he is the other side of the same coin that trudeau comes from. when are people going to start realizing nearly all of them are on the same side?
I hear this one a lot...so what is your solution??
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:00 AM

One of his catch phrases is "take back Canada". I honestly wonder who he wants to take Canada back from, and whom he wants to give it to.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
I hear this one a lot...so what is your solution??
PPC!
Old 09-10-2020, 08:00 AM

He certainly is a big improvement over Scheer. He seems to be able to handle the Media well. I liked his first Caucus Address.