Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-03-2020, 06:48 PM

Default Backswimmers...anyone...bueller

Hey, just wondering if backswimmers have made a showing yet around central or North? Want to spend some quality time next week
Old 09-03-2020, 08:30 PM

I've seen a few (very few) at Spring Lake and heard of a few seen at Muir but no rises/swirls to indicate any serious interest by our finny friends.

I'm still working suspended chironomids with some modest success!
Old 09-03-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
I've seen a few (very few) at Spring Lake and heard of a few seen at Muir but no rises/swirls to indicate any serious interest by our finny friends.

I'm still working suspended chironomids with some modest success!
Yes. Backswimmers were very active at Sundance in Calgary today. They kept landing in the boat. Trout weren’t racing for the splashes yet. They were hitting a backswimmers stripped back just below the surface.

It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-03-2020, 10:35 PM

Backswimmers, is there anything better than a warm fall day with backswimmers splashing down and trout feeding with abandon. There must be, but I cannot think of it. Yes I know there are better and more important things, but but a hot backswimmer afternoon? Good times.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-03-2020, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Backswimmers, is there anything better than a warm fall day with backswimmers splashing down and trout feeding with abandon. There must be, but I cannot think of it. Yes I know there are better and more important things, but but a hot backswimmer afternoon? Good times.
early summer, calm lake and a flying ant hatch ...
Old 09-04-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
This all day. Yes there are tons of amazing hatches. It is the ferocity of the attack during a backswimmer frenzy...can't wait.

Thanks for the updates all! I'm hoping I see one of the days in the upcoming week. Weather looks to be lining up
Old 09-04-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Since you asked...the sedge hatch in the Kamloops region is tough to beat, or floating hoppers for big browns. But a backswimmers are a hell of alot of fun too.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Yes. Backswimmers were very active at Sundance in Calgary today. They kept landing in the boat. Trout weren’t racing for the splashes yet. They were hitting a backswimmers stripped back just below the surface.

Great picture. What did u use for the photo?
Old 09-05-2020, 06:46 PM

I’m hoping to get some of my first baotman/back swimmer action. Anyone have any good patterns/recipes to try ?
Old 09-06-2020, 08:26 AM

Check out Phil Rowley's website.
Old 09-06-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1 View Post
Great picture. What did u use for the photo?
Iphone5
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-06-2020, 10:33 PM

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jGjxh7H7S8Krotnt6
Old 09-18-2020, 09:41 PM

It was raining boatmen from 2 - 4 pm today.

I suspect some people want to know what they look like.

Photos are always nice.

Should help folks tie their flies.

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 09-18-2020 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:00 PM

Old 09-19-2020, 06:33 AM

Just google backswimmer fly patterns. SFOTF did a sxs on the Ultimate boatman ,which is my fav.Rowley's got some also.Don't just think that you have to have foam in the pattern.A very simple pattern . size 10 scud hook.Peacock herl body,with dark blk plastic [garbage bag] strip pulled over the peacock..Definitely increase your tipet size,vicous strikes.Don't handle the live bug,they have stingers .Similiar to a wasp....
Old 09-19-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
Just google backswimmer fly patterns. SFOTF did a sxs on the Ultimate boatman ,which is my fav.Rowley's got some also.Don't just think that you have to have foam in the pattern.A very simple pattern . size 10 scud hook.Peacock herl body,with dark blk plastic [garbage bag] strip pulled over the peacock..Definitely increase your tipet size,vicous strikes.Don't handle the live bug,they have stingers .Similiar to a wasp....
A simple foam boatman works great. I like the black plastic bag idea. I use 12 lb test. Saves getting broke off for sure.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:50 PM

Default Backswimmers

They were dropping the other day at a local eastern Alberta lake, but trout didn’t seem too interested just yet.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:42 AM

Worth fishing them sinking or floating. I fished mine exclusively floating the last two years as that is what I prefer. Just that much more exciting to see the take and set the fly. I'm using 3x most of the time but 2x is not a bad choice in flouro.

Witnessed the biggest hatch I've seen this year. Got to the point where both backswimmers and boatman were landing. Fishing was hot for a bit until they were overwhelmed. Fish stopped feeding on everything. You could see boatman and backswimmers floating around and swimming below the surface unimpeded. Most of the other boats went to trolling. I just went to the windless side of the lake where no one was fishing yet and sure enough, it was on just in that one small section.

I've never tried early spring at ice off. Will have to try that out. And, will use sinking line since they are not landing at that time.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:02 AM

The NSR is loaded with them right now. Goldeye... anyone
Old 09-20-2020, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
Now that’s a blast.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:31 AM

I've watched a few videos recently. Brian Chan's does a great job of explaining it all:

https://youtu.be/U0o7FOjb2ug

Does anyone know where of has bought the preformed foam bodies? Not required for sure but hey, I'm lazy
Old 09-21-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
I've watched a few videos recently. Brian Chan's does a great job of explaining it all:

https://youtu.be/U0o7FOjb2ug

Does anyone know where of has bought the preformed foam bodies? Not required for sure but hey, I'm lazy
I've seen them recently at cabalas south Edmonton. Its the superfly brand. and they work good enough!
Old 09-21-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Cool.

Have always wanted to do some fall flyfishing for Goldeye. Are you fishing towards Fort Sask. or out towards Devon?
Old 09-21-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipco View Post
Cool.

Have always wanted to do some fall flyfishing for Goldeye. Are you fishing towards Fort Sask. or out towards Devon?
I've done both. The boatmen are ubiquitous. I prefer upstream of the city, though
Old 09-21-2020, 12:45 PM

There was a thick amount of them landing all over my boat on the NSR throughout from Fort Sask into Edmonton on Thursday
Old 09-21-2020, 07:09 PM

Can't figure out what's going on in the Stony Plain area trout lakes. Fished Muir on Saturday and today and never saw a rise or swirl both days, nada. Fortunately Plan B with a wooly bugger worked for some good sized browns and rainbows. The water in Muir is very murky, visibility today was maybe about 2ft. I didn't see today's big 'bow in the water until brought to the net.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Can't figure out what's going on in the Stony Plain area trout lakes. Fished Muir on Saturday and today and never saw a rise or swirl both days, nada. Fortunately Plan B with a wooly bugger worked for some good sized browns and rainbows. The water in Muir is very murky, visibility today was maybe about 2ft. I didn't see today's big 'bow in the water until brought to the net.
Took my tube out to Muir after work on Thursday last week and Wednesday the week before. Both times the water was very murky. Seeing some backswimmers around, only a few swirls. But as you said, the fish were not really on to them.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:37 AM

You didn't miss much at Spring on Saturday.

Very, very slow.

Last Thursday afternoon was a head scratcher.

Beautiful warm day, low wind and there were backswimmers and boatman all over the place.

Hardly a rise.

Tried bead head boatman in different colors/patterns, foam boatman, ultimate boatman, different patterns and sizes of backswimmers. Floating and sink tip line. Nada.

A couple 10"-12" on a olive leech.

Weird.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Salmon View Post
There was a thick amount of them landing all over my boat on the NSR throughout from Fort Sask into Edmonton on Thursday
Tim,

Were you out for a boat ride or fishing for goldeye?

If so did you catch a few?

Stan
Old 09-22-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I've seen them recently at cabalas south Edmonton. Its the superfly brand. and they work good enough!
Thanks! I will check it out.