Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-15-2019, 12:01 PM

Default 600 to 1K steel shooting challenge match

Howdy Folks!
I am contemplating putting together a match this spring for a steel challenge match from 600 to 1K.
The situation is this:
We have a range with steel from 600 to 1K in 100 meter increments.
I have experience match shooting out to 1K but from when I shot Palma Match, and the rules are specific and very stringent as compared to an unsanctioned steel match.

Some things to be considered would be to segregate possibly calibre size.
For example 6mm and under and over 6mm?

Rifles: Brakes would be allowed as the vast majority of rifles I see up here that are capable of " going long" have muzzle brakes installed.
Bipods or front and rear rests would be allowed.
Two weight classes of of 15lb.s and under and over 15 lbs.?
Or maybe 12 and under and over 12? Just spit balling here, looking for suggestions.

I would be hesitant to allow any practice on the long range before the match but we could possibly allow practice tom take place on or short range which is 100 to 500 , personally I am torn on that point.

Course of fire: maybe say, 5 rounds at each range?
Anybody that has organized or shot this type of match or even wants to and never has please jump in or even PM me, I really want to get this up and running.
Any and all suggestions will gladly be taken into consideration.
Cat
Old 12-15-2019, 12:35 PM
Banned

I will probably not make it up for that, but what about optics/sites?
Old 12-15-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I will probably not make it up for that, but what about optics/sites?
I fon’t Think I would put any restrictions on the optics .
As far as irons go, there are so few of use that actually shoot irons at those distances I think I will leave them out .
Cat
Old 12-15-2019, 05:01 PM

when are you thinking of shooting it??

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
when are you thinking of shooting it??
Dunno yet , still in the planning stages , pretty rough to get a free weekend in the summer but we do have a heated four position firing line
Cat
Old 12-15-2019, 06:11 PM

Depending on when i might give it a go.
My tikka is good out to 600 along with my 7.5 swiss. Not sure about my ability past that. It would be fun to shoot and miss then watch amd learn somethings new.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
Depending on when i might give it a go.
My tikka is good out to 600 along with my 7.5 swiss. Not sure about my ability past that. It would be fun to shoot and miss then watch amd learn somethings new.
I don't own a 7.5 K31 but I have shot a friend's out to 900 with the match irons and sling and they are a fantastic rifle!
This is going to be a lot of fun, and I fully expect to see far more long range style hunting rifles than pure 1K match rifles, which is what I am hopping for.
Cat
Old 12-15-2019, 06:40 PM

I could be in as well depending on schedule. Be a good to get some extra practice with the F-O rifle.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:47 PM

I’d like to come I’ll be up there this spring not sure of my schedule I’m not a long range guy but I’d try. Be fun to be around some guys that know what there doing and pick up some pointers.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:00 PM

I’ll keep you guys informed .
An F/0 gun will fit right in fir sure, and I plan to rock the one ton Ruger no.1 at this event !
Cat
Old 12-15-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I’ll keep you guys informed .
An F/0 gun will fit right in fir sure, and I plan to rock the one ton Ruger no.1 at this event !
Cat
Pic for attention
Cat
Old 12-15-2019, 11:10 PM

Default Nice RIg

That is a nice lookin Rig Cat. Your shooting contest sounds like it would be a ton of fun. Am I correct in assuming it would take place in Fort Mac?
Old 12-16-2019, 05:50 AM

I stay posted on this thread cat. I may drive up to Fort McMurray for that. I’ll have to weigh my rig but it will be a good time.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
That is a nice lookin Rig Cat. Your shooting contest sounds like it would be a ton of fun. Am I correct in assuming it would take place in Fort Mac?
Yes it will be at our range in Fort McMurray😎
Redneck 7 we will have a scale available there, but not to worry i’m Sure we will fit you on somewhere !
Cat
Old 12-16-2019, 06:49 AM

I'm interested....but....that all depends on the "when" in "spring". I'm sure I could find a partner who would also like to make the trip.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:54 AM

For those concerned ,if you wish you can PM me when things would work for you .
We have lots of room for RV’s and we also have several bunk houses available
fir those traveling from out of town
Cat
Old 12-16-2019, 07:10 AM

Very interested !

300 meter rapid fire on a significantly smaller targets might be fun too cat

Or at 600-1000 you have 4 squares each shooter and they get smaller and smaller

But that's direct competition

You gonna utilize shot timers on each stage and deduct points for misses and such like 3 gun ? Just throwing out quick ideas. Night ( night shift .... grrrr )

As well as a weight class .... might need a bolt vs single shot class too ..... 700s vs #1s etc etc gonna be dfffernt if you do put a speed equation into the mix ..... or strictly accuracy ..... just ideas
Old 12-16-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf308 View Post
Very interested !

300 meter rapid fire on a significantly smaller targets might be fun too cat

Or at 600-1000 you have 4 squares each shooter and they get smaller and smaller

But that's direct competition

You gonna utilize shot timers on each stage and deduct points for misses and such like 3 gun ? Just throwing out quick ideas. Night ( night shift .... grrrr )

As well as a weight class .... might need a bolt vs single shot class too ..... 700s vs #1s etc etc gonna be dfffernt if you do put a speed equation into the mix ..... or strictly accuracy ..... just ideas
Nope no shot timers or rapid fire , there will of course be a time involved that will be fairly quick but direct fire not rapid fire .
I may just keep the weight restrictions to Fclass , under 18lbs and over but with no max in the open class , but I am also wondering about dropping the lightweight class to 14lbs .
Bolts, semis, single shots will all shoot together , the action won’t be the deciding factor in this type of match especially with our tricky wind conditions up here !🤪
Cat
Old 12-16-2019, 12:45 PM

Oh ya .... stupid wind in the spring ...... yuck
K well I'd love to come hit heavy metal again with you
I'll be there if life doesn't suck and get in the way

Last edited by wolf308; 12-16-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-17-2019, 12:05 AM

I think keep it simple and keep it fun.
Those who shoot this all the time and have the rigs for doing so can show those of us with out some tricks and let us drool.

I have been thinking something like this would be awesome. Glad you are thinking out loud about such an event/ get together.
Old 12-17-2019, 05:44 PM

Default range pics

For those that have not been to our range , here are some pics of the long range layout
Cat

Old 12-18-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerfan View Post
I could be in as well depending on schedule. Be a good to get some extra practice with the F-O rifle.
I have decided to run with the F/TR and F/O rules for rifles except brakes will be allowed .
Or shooting positions are set up so the barrels are outside of the building and there are wing walls to minimize the side blast .
Fir those not familiar, F/TR includes rifles chambered in either .223 or .308, with a Max weight of 18 kilos .

F/O includes any rifle chambered in any cartridge with a max weight of 20 kilos
However as with the no brake rule in F/Class shooting , the max weight for the open guns will be waived .

Bipods attached to the rifle is included in the weight , but a front rest is not .
Rear bags are also allowed , but lead sled style rests or rail guns are not .
Cat
Old 12-18-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have decided to run with the F/TR and F/O rules for rifles except brakes will be allowed .
Or shooting positions are set up so the barrels are outside of the building and there are wing walls to minimize the side blast .
Fir those not familiar, F/TR includes rifles chambered in either .223 or .308, with a Max weight of 18 kilos .

F/O includes any rifle chambered in any cartridge with a max weight of 20 kilos
However as with the no brake rule in F/Class shooting , the max weight for the open guns will be waived .

Bipods attached to the rifle is included in the weight , but a front rest is not .
Rear bags are also allowed , but lead sled style rests or rail guns are not .
Cat

Take it easy with the rules Cat.
Caliber restrictions, and weights are fine, but let’s face it you’ve gotta soften the presentation before you set the hook.
308/223, skip that, just throw it open vs ftr by weight, and over or under 6mm.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-18-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Take it easy with the rules Cat.
Caliber restrictions, and weights are fine, but let’s face it you’ve gotta soften the presentation before you set the hook.
308/223, skip that, just throw it open vs ftr by weight, and over or under 6mm.
That is why the .223/308 are in a class by themselves , they tend to be harder to control hits once the ranges get longer .
Most of the guns around here that will make the trip to IK are big cased , braked up hunting rifles anyway .
I really think the only guns that will actually be affected by F/TR rules would are designed for them anyway !
Shim that Palma Rifle of yours and I will do the same and let’s get at it
Cat
Old 12-18-2019, 02:29 PM

Cat will all shooting be done off benches or is prone an option? What are the size of the targets at each range?
Old 12-18-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Cat will all shooting be done off benches or is prone an option? What are the size of the targets at each range?
Actually there are two prone tables there now and we may just get rid of the benches and shoot everything prone depending on how many people want to shoot off them.
That will have to be determined later, me being a died in the wool belly shooter however I am a bit biased ...
As far as target size, I think the steel is 4 minutes in diameter for each distance but I will check right away.
Cat
Old 12-18-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
What are the size of the targets at each range?
we have a 1MOA and a 4MOA disc at each distance except at 900 and 1K, those are 4MOA.
It is easy enough to paint a 1 MOA circle on them however
Here is a better pic

Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 12-18-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:14 PM

sounds like fun,,, may partake depending on dates. one question, with a bunch of shooters do you have enough steel to allow 4 shooters at a time to avoid having to run down and paint constantly?
Old 12-18-2019, 08:32 PM

Thanks Cat. Post some dates as soon as you have an idea when.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo1010 View Post
sounds like fun,,, may partake depending on dates. one question, with a bunch of shooters do you have enough steel to allow 4 shooters at a time to avoid having to run down and paint constantly?
We have two gongs at each distance , with spotters we should be fine - we have some members with pretty fast ATV’s as well if need be!
Cat