Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-14-2019, 02:05 PM

Steyr scout
Old 12-14-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino81 View Post
and non of them made any theoretical sense lol.
So I see you lost an argument in another thread .... and now you come over to try and win friends by making idiotic statement in this one .....Some of us have forgotten more than you will ever learn in your mom's basement..
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:57 PM

Thanks to all who replied. I greatly appreciate and value your opinions. Greatly appreciate the PMs from a guy I received as well, it really helped to make my decision. The decision being that I may have become an owner of a 30-06 Sako A7 Roughtech Pro in desert tan for about $1,070 delivered. “May have become” is because when I went through the check out process at a store where I found it, something glitched up and I wasn’t able to finish the checkout; the gun went out of stock. I gave them a call and they set the rifle aside for me until their tech guys fix it up and let me know how to proceed to purchase it. The store I bought it from is Calgary Shooting Centre. Pics will follow in this thread when (or if, lol) I receive it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Christensen Ridgeline without a doubt. Pick the chambering you want. After playing with one in 28 nosler, it’s the one I would choose.
This one was actually on the top of the list, as far as “nice” guns go. At some point I was confident that this will be my next gun, even though it is outside of the price range I mentioned. Then I started reading reviews and overall what people have to say about them on other forums, mainly US forums, and I wasn’t impressed. While there are many who praise these guns, there seems to be almost as many who weren’t impressed/had problems/accuracy issues/etc. I then looked at CA Classic Carbon (one can be imported from down south for just under 3,000 CAD all in or about that by my calculations). And I found a lot of the same or similar feedback about those rifles as well. So I figured it just isn’t worth the risk and investing this much money into an “unknown”, if you know what I mean, and crossed out Christensen Arms from my list altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
A Winchester featherweight in 270 or 30-06.
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I love the Winchester Featherweights but if I could find a Ruger1B in a cartridge that grabbed my fancy I’d jump at it - IF I were looking for another rifle !
Cat
Both are excellent rifles. I actually think I would feel bad shooting them, lol. I was looking at this one:

Thought I would be obsessing about scratching it, lol. So I opted out of nice wooden stocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS906 View Post
My choice is the Browning X Bolt , synthetic stock with the dura touch camo finish it is great to handle. The action on the X Bolt is so smooth and the overall quality of the Browning is excellent. Price point is okay so just pick the caliber that suits you.
I was thinking about it. I like how my .243 X-Bolt handles. In spite of many complaints, I do like the trigger on it as well. I am not sure if it is just my rifle, but the trigger on it is very nice. Maybe mine is a lemon, lol. It shoots well too. The synthetic stock with dura touch is also nice to feel and seems to be made to last a while. It is also light enough to carry in the bush all day and that’s what I used exclusively this season for my hunting. The finish does not seem to be effected by constant bush rubbing and scratching. I didn’t like the buckhorn pattern (I think that’s what it’s called) on mine, but it was literally a bargain to buy and I don’t regret getting it (clearance and Canadian Tire money set me back only about $150 in hard cash).

I wanted something different though for the next gun. Rather not another X-Bolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
The Kimber Hunter in a .270win would be a great rifle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweb View Post
Remington 700 CDL in 25-06
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrobert View Post
Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather. In 30-06, 270, or 7mm. Should be able to spend close to $1000 on glass and come in around the $2500 mark gun and optics.
These were on the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
If I had $2500 to spend, I would purchase one of the customs in the buy/sell priced at 50-70% of the build price.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the caliber. There are a bunch of good choices and anyone who has put the effort into building a custom rifle will have likely chosen a cartridge that will work for you.
I thought of going this way, but I haven’t seen too many that tickled my interest at much discount on here. I have been watching for a while, not daily, but I looked. Perhaps, I missed some or maybe don’t know what to look for.

In fact, I thought I would buy a rifle new or used from classifieds here, but I never saw anything I couldn’t get at some store new for about the same price or just a little bit more. I actually watched a Winchester Featherlight on here for a while, but the guy selling it never dropped the price below what it retails for at Cabela’s even and can be found cheaper elsewhere. I am sure there are good deals to be had, but these were my observations.

I figured it’s like when people say that a new vehicle driven off the dealer lot looses 30% in value. Yet when you go and try to find one, you realize that they are still selling as new or at a small discount, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Personally, if I wanted something to "keep forever" I would not be buying a Tikka. JMO.

Since someone is bound to point out that I'm being unhelpful, I'll give an opinion. If I was purchasing a new rifle today for general hunting purposes it would be either a Winchester All Weather, a Remington Mountain Rifle, or a Weatherby Vanguard Backcountry. Either 270win or 30-06 for me.
Not unhelpful at all. And you know I value your opinion (look at the caliber I chose, lol). By keeping forever, I meant rather something reliable and consistently good. Something I wouldn’t have to find a buyer for a couple of years down the road. At the same time, I understand that it can happen with anything I buy. I didn’t mean something I would pass along to the next of kin or anything like that, if that’s what you meant.

I don’t see Tikka being any less of a gun than the ones you mentioned. I didn’t check all over the internet, but Tikka has more positive reviews than probably any other gun anywhere I looked. Really. Having said that, the Weatherby you talk of was at the top of my consideration, as far as practicality and reliability goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Gusto View Post
Steyr scout
Didn’t even consider it, to be honest. Not because it is bad, seems to be quite the opposite from a brief look I took.

Once again, appreciate all the replies. I skipped answering to those who recommended Tikka, the answer to all of you guys is thank you! Sorry if I missed and skipped anyone else. Thanks to all of you guys.
Old 12-14-2019, 11:05 PM

Wow nice summary fishnguy. It’s awesome to see it worked out and you were able to summarize your thoughts for everyone.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:36 AM

Can’t go wrong with a Sako good choice of gun and caliber lots of bullet choices. That featherweight is absolutely beautiful glad it wasn’t my choice I’d have caved and bought it wait..... no I can’t I’ve got enough guns according to the wife
Old 12-15-2019, 06:57 AM
Banned

Sako A7 is a great rifle, you’ll be happy with it I’m sure.

On a side note, I’ve owned a lot of the rifles on the list of recommended rifles, my featherweight is a natural born killer, and probably my favorite rifle of all time. I can’t seem to miss with that thing, but I hate scratching it. I’ve owned 3 Christensen's, 2 Ridgelines and a classic, all were tac drivers, but so was my A7, and as a matter of fact my A7 was more accurate than all 3 of my finnlites.

Congrats on the new rifle!
Old 12-15-2019, 06:59 AM

Have you thought about getting into reloading instead of another rifle?
Old 12-15-2019, 10:01 AM

Gorgeous! congratulation! I love the 30-06 .
Old 12-15-2019, 10:19 AM

I wanted that one perfect hunting rifle a few years back and ended up with a Sako 30-06.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:24 AM

https://store.prophetriver.com/monta...n-s-n-c180279/

There are no absolutes
Old 12-15-2019, 10:42 AM

Smile Best Buy !!

Can't go wrong with Bighorn special, you'll have a jewel and keep it forever!! Or get a Sako and mount a $2000.00 scope on it and your done.??? JMO.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:46 AM

Default What rifle

My Sako A7 will do anything that any custom rifle will. If I had an unlimited budget for a rifle, I would still buy an A7. It would have a Swarovski 4-12X On top of it. Great hunting set up.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:50 PM

I just meant that, if I'm going to carry a gun for several decades it needs to be a rifle I'm going to love. Not one that I wish I'd maybe spent a little more and upgraded for the next 20 hunting seasons. While a T3 will work perfectly well, its a gun I would eventually regret having purchased. I think you will not regret going with the Sako.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post

Not unhelpful at all. And you know I value your opinion (look at the caliber I chose, lol). By keeping forever, I meant rather something reliable and consistently good. Something I wouldn’t have to find a buyer for a couple of years down the road. At the same time, I understand that it can happen with anything I buy. I didn’t mean something I would pass along to the next of kin or anything like that, if that’s what you meant.

I don’t see Tikka being any less of a gun than the ones you mentioned. I didn’t check all over the internet, but Tikka has more positive reviews than probably any other gun anywhere I looked. Really. Having said that, the Weatherby you talk of was at the top of my consideration, as far as practicality and reliability goes.

Old 12-16-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510-Gem View Post
X 2. I own an MPR in 6.5 PRC - my first expensive rifle, and by far my favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
x3. Just got a Christensen in 6.5 creedmoor. My son took his first buck with it. Accurate. Mild mannered. Lots of fun.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyallpeder View Post
Thats what I was thinking. Practice, practice,practice.
Takes a big gun on elk at 500. A lot of people who don't shoot much can't shoot a big gun at that range.
Its not so much about the gun as its about who is using it and how much experience and confidence.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:09 PM
Banned

I've bought and sold many rifles in all my years, I can say this, most of them, I regret selling. Especially a Model 94 3030 AE, Pedersoli 4570 sharps and a Ruger #1 in .223.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:37 PM

I have a few rifles and when I talk about down sizing..It almost always comes down to two rifles...A Sako Grey wolf in .260..Or a Tikka t3 in 6,5x55..Both shoot, (really well) both have good and bad features. I lean towards the T3 only because it is a bit lighter...Will it last a 100 years like the Sako ? probably not but still a good quality rifle..
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 12-21-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrobert View Post
Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather. In 30-06, 270, or 7mm. Should be able to spend close to $1000 on glass and come in around the $2500 mark gun and optics.
Excellent choice I have one in 7mm best and favorite rifle I own.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Thanks to all who replied. I greatly appreciate and value your opinions. Greatly appreciate the PMs from a guy I received as well, it really helped to make my decision. The decision being that I may have become an owner of a 30-06 Sako A7 .

Lol

I didn't even have.to post. God filled in the blanks for me

Good choice
Old 12-22-2019, 11:14 PM

Thanks for all the replies and comments, once again! Glad you approve of my choice, huntinstuff and everyone else.

Bushleauge, I understand what you are saying. Not sure I fully agree, I still think Tikka is a nice enough rifle, lol. You are probably right though; I am sure you handled more rifles than I had seen and I value your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyallpeder View Post
I have. I would still need another rifle. To be honest, I simply do not have any space to set up for reloading. The wife would probably not approve of a new (and another) “rabbit hole” type of hobby either. It is kind of in the plans for future, but we will see what the future brings. Also, except for you guys and other internet resources, I don’t have anyone in real life, so to speak, to learn about it from and try things out. I think mainly it is space and probably costs associated with setting up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
Thats what I was thinking. Practice, practice,practice.
Takes a big gun on elk at 500. A lot of people who don't shoot much can't shoot a big gun at that range.
Its not so much about the gun as its about who is using it and how much experience and confidence.
Believe me, I will never shoot at an animal unless I am 100% confident. I had an experience (and not all that long ago) to doubt my shooting abilities to the point I actually considered to quit hunting altogether. Thanks to a few people in my life and some people on this forum, I recognized that that experience in all likelihood had nothing to do with my shooting. Besides, the elk shooting within that range was quite an exaggeration and meant more like a rifle/caliber capable of doing so with a fair amount of certainty if the animal is hit right. Those who know me well and probably the very few people that met me from here would probably say that I am more of a get close and “intimate” kind of a guy, lol.

Fully agree on the practice and it’s not the gun but the person behind it points though.
Old 12-23-2019, 12:05 AM

Default Sako

I have a Sako finlight 300 short. Nothing less of incredible, however I would go to the .300 win mag if ammo is a concern. I did find it heavy on the recoil so I put a true deselera pad on it with a muzzle break. This was my 10th season with this rifle and I have not been easy on it. I did put a dove tail design scope mount on it and I have yet to adjust my scope more then an inch in any given year. If accuracy is what you are looking for, you will not be disappointed
Old 12-23-2019, 12:11 AM

Received the Sako today! A few (lame) pics, as promised.

First impression is that I think I am happy

I won’t lie, I was probably overly excited when I checked the tracking and saw that the box was at the local post office; wasn’t as much excited (but still excited) when I checked the tracking again 3-4 hours later and saw that the box was left by my door (we weren’t home). I found the box by the door when we came back home, along with another box that belonged to the same house number one block from us. The lady the other box belonged to was pretty excited when I delivered it to her, lol. So yes, lots of excitement.

So far, I can say it is probably the best fit for me rifle out of the box that I had handled. Not overly excited about the way too plastic’y magazine, but I was aware of that prior to buying. The trigger guard is the same, but might feel better than metal handling in the cold. And a “girly” thing, I was hoping the stock would be a little darker and/or perhaps greener, lol.

It also feels a bit heavier than I expected. That may have to do with the rough night we had yesterday (the 2-year old daughter was sick for a better part of it). Lastly, for the time being, I like the bolt movement better on my .243 X-Bolt, but that bolt had been used quite a bit and something I am used to, I guess.

Anyway, I am pretty happy with my purchase. And once again, I appreciate all your help and replies.

Will post pics once I mount the scope on it.
Old 12-23-2019, 12:21 AM

Well, it's changed pretty much for the last 20-30 years, because there were no thermal or night vision scopes ( like these: http://www.agmglobalvision.com/therm...-weapon-sights ) in that period of time, when I was making my first steps in the hunting. And nowadays, my son just comes to me and show his achievements after a night, which I cannot set up even in the daylight, hah.
Old 12-23-2019, 01:04 AM

Fishnguy I really think you have made a great choice,good rifle that can take all kinda bush conditions and you got a pile of bullets to choose from to hunt with. Good choice all the way and once you get use to it it will become a greater choice.Every a7 I have shot ,shot very well ,so I can't see why this could be different..All these higher end guns are over rated in my mind.That rifle will do what a 4k rifle will do and if you want out,guys buy them up.

I paid 2400 for a sako barvarian when they first came out,worst rifle I every bought,it shot ok ,but it kicked like a dam mule and sold it.

Great buy and a MERRY CYRISTMAS

JD
Old 12-23-2019, 10:10 AM

Fishnguy, you made a great choice! That is a very nice rifle. I think you hit the sweet spot in terms of price vs quality in the A7. If it had bottom metal and mag you would pay Sako 85 money. Be happy man. That one is a gooder!
Old 12-23-2019, 12:10 PM

What action do they use on the A7? IIRC the previous version had a Tikka action, but that doesn't look like a Tikka action. Nice rifle!
Old 12-23-2019, 04:07 PM

Thanks, guys! I am happy. The rings are coming in today, so I will mount a scope on it shortly. Not sure when I will get to shoot it though.

Bushleague, the action is not Tikka and not really 85 either. Here are the three together (Tikka, A7, 85, top to bottom):

Also, while Tikka comes with one-fit-all type action, ie one size, A7s come in two sizes, short and long (or medium, as Sako calls the long).

The pic was stolen from here (a nice review of A7 and comparison to Tikka and 85): https://www.biggamehunt.net/reviews/sako-a7-review
Old 12-23-2019, 04:18 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

you got yourself a heck of a rifle...what are you topping it off with?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-23-2019, 04:28 PM

Thanks, Cat. This is the plan:

Old 12-23-2019, 04:38 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

like the magnification levels from stalking up close to reaching out a bit,,,,very nice and the light gathering front end....good choice.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...