Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-18-2019, 11:04 AM

Default Buying coyotes whole

I am just looking at getting some answers on what is fair for buying peoples coyotes they have shot? I get quite a few people from hunting season trying to sell me coyotes, most times not a fur friendly caliber, I hate seeing waste though but dealing with coyotes guts hanging out and fur covered in blood is bloody time consuming.

What should be the difference between a messy not prime coyote to a properly shot/trapped prime coyote?
Old 10-18-2019, 11:28 AM

If they want to give it to me, I'll take it if it's in good shape, but I'm not paying for anything. If they want to make money, they're free to skin it themselves.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:38 AM
Banned

50% of what you'd pay for a snared one.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:15 PM

How much should a prime snared coyote go for?
Old 10-18-2019, 12:46 PM
Banned

First, you need a fur buyers license to buy fur legally. Without that you can be charged with trafficking in wildlife.

You are in competition with licensed fur buyers and they likely won't tell you what they are paying.

Pay whatever you think is fair.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:57 PM

Sorry about the confusion. I am talking about people selling coyotes in the whole. So a snared coyote that someone wants to sell me to put up and send into auction with my furs, what should I pay them for that coyote?

I've read about people doing custom skinning, I don't think I am experienced enough to be doing that quite yet, maybe in a few years when I've put up a few more hundred.

Thanks
Old 10-18-2019, 01:19 PM

You still need a fur buyers licence like previously mentioned. It is illegal to buy unprepared fur wether it is whole coyotes or a dried pelt without a buyers licence/permit. I would suggest these guys gift them to you However if you have the needed paper work give what you think is appropriate I’ve seen anywhere from 0-25$ Paid for shot ones.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:36 PM

I have been educated by you both and I called fish and wildlife to confirm... seems crazy I would have to spend 100$ to not let a half dozen blown up coyotes go to waste. I guess they can gift them to me and that's gonna be my way to go unless I can find some solid coyote hunters.

Thank you!
Old 11-12-2019, 04:46 PM

Default Coyote Den Fur Buyer

Seems Crazy they can go to waste, but Hunter Dave is correct on permits. Looked into it last year, learned that a detached shop was necessary in addition to licences - gave me an excuse to build one. Class 1 permit allows folks to drop yotes off to you - $100. Class 2 for an additional $500 enables you to pick-up. Prices vary on shot to legally snared and condition. I pay 20-50 and those with dog lice / damaged neck are almost worthless to me. Hope this helps.