Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-15-2019, 09:54 AM

Default Burris quality?

I am looking for a new scope for my 7mm rem mag. I use the gun for elk and deer hunting mainly but also a fair amount of long range target shooting. I have had Night force, Leupold, and Nikon optics in the past. My question is what range of quality would the Burris scopes fall into. Specifically I am looking at the Veracity in 5-25 in ffp. Any info on the brand or this specific scope would be greatly appreciated! I like the ffp as well as the drop down bars with the option of using the capped turrets to dial my target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-2019, 11:07 AM

If you have been using Nightforce, Leupold and the like you are not going to like the Burris. They are not remotely in the same league, even though some of their higher end models cost almost as much. Inards are not near as well made and the glass is a LONG ways short of top end scopes.

IF you decide to try one, make sure you can return it cause I think you pretty much will want to. I got rid of both the ones I tried.

Last edited by Dean2; 12-15-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:13 AM

I owned a Veracity. I wish I still had it. At the time, I also had an XTR II and was able to compare the two side-by-side. Surprisingly, the Veracity was better in clarity, brightness and colour rendition than its more expensive, larger tubed brother. It punches above its weight.

I never had a chance to do any tracking tests but on one website's test the Veracity was absolutely perfect. It has some minor chromatic aberration but is surprisingly clear.

The turrets are par for the course at that price and the finish is very good. The reticle is excellent. The overall size is a little large in its category but it makes an excellent front focal plane varmint or hunting scope.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:42 AM
Banned

I have a Burris on one of my rifles that came with a rifle I bought. My main rifles all have Zeiss Conquest and there's no comparison. I wouldn't recommend Burris for long range shooting.
Old 12-15-2019, 02:01 PM

I have 1 Burris scope....an E1 ..bullet impacts Vary GREATLY if you turn the power ring...If used as a fixed power it is fine, otherwise it is JUNK.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:29 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

I got the fullfield 3 to 9 by 40...been on my 6-284 for 10 yearsish...hot, cold, wet etc and it is a solid unit....been in the field with the other high end scopes and when looking through them never seen a difference,,,oh and I am not easy on gear.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-15-2019, 04:57 PM
Banned

I used to be their biggest fan
Then they screwed me on warranty issue
I had a set of their best binos and the eyepiece broke
They decided to sent me some pos $200 ones as a replacement
Sold all their stuff that I had
Never again
Old 12-15-2019, 05:00 PM

Junk
Old 12-15-2019, 05:56 PM

Let's just say that I have never heard Burris in the conversation when one is considering "quality glass".
Old 12-15-2019, 06:25 PM
Banned

Steiner owns them
Old 12-15-2019, 06:28 PM

Had a full field 2 and it was junk.... Got it in the only rifle/scope combo deal I have ever bought. Sako A7 and burris.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:48 PM

Default Burris

The early ones were made in Merica and were pretty good ......now in the Philippines not so good.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:31 PM

I have a few different makes and models of scopes. The more I use each of them, the more it makes me want to be more streamlined and have all the same. The transition will eventually come.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:54 PM

Had a fullfield II 3x9 40mm as it came on a package rifle I had bought. Scope was poor quality.. internals gave out after firing 5 rounds ... put a vortex diamondback on and never looked back
Old 12-16-2019, 09:02 AM

I don't like the one that I have. The glass has almost a violet tinge to it. I believe it's a fullfield 3-9 x40. Would not recommend.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:31 AM

Lol Burris and quality good joke. I have the fullfield 2 or now lives on a 22 for gofer plinking that has been the best place for it. I would say there comparable to some of the Bushnell models in comparison.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:09 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

hmm maybe I got a yanky one before they farmed them out to the Philippines....clear glass, no internal issues etc

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-16-2019, 12:11 PM

Tagged, this seems like a very interesting thread
Old 12-16-2019, 01:50 PM

Default story goes

An employee that used to work for Redfield and had some ideas of his own so left and started his own company.That became Burris.True or false don't know?
Old 12-16-2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I got the fullfield 3 to 9 by 40...been on my 6-284 for 10 yearsish...hot, cold, wet etc and it is a solid unit....been in the field with the other high end scopes and when looking through them never seen a difference,,,oh and I am not easy on gear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
hmm maybe I got a yanky one before they farmed them out to the Philippines....clear glass, no internal issues etc
I agree with you. I purchased my Fullfield E1 not too long before Wholesale announced they were closing down. I should have waited a few months and may have gotten a deal, lol (it took a while for me to mount it and it didn’t happen until they were shut down, if I recall correctly). Regardless, I like the scope. Works perfectly fine and I didn’t see that much of a difference in terms of light transmission when I compared it to the Leupold VX3i that purchased last year. Most of the reviews I read online suggest the same. I also like their ballistic whatever they call it reticle (was the main reason I chose it over other options in the same price range).

On a side note, with about two minutes of legal light left on one fine but not overly bright day this fall, I looked through this Fullfield, VX3i, and Zeiss Terra that many trash and my cousin has mounted on his rifle and the Terra was the subdued winner; Burris and Leupold were about the same.

I have never looked at (or through) the more sophisticated and expensive Burris scopes though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I used to be their biggest fan
Then they screwed me on warranty issue
I had a set of their best binos and the eyepiece broke
They decided to sent me some pos $200 ones as a replacement
Sold all their stuff that I had
Never again
That really sucks to hear, man. Did they explain why or wtf in general?