Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-26-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Please READ the article YOU, YOURSELF attached.

Your article has NOTHING to do with lobby/special interest money "spent".

The money was "spent" on regulations and changes required as a result of new legislation and regulation. It is a cost.

YOUR ARTICLE describes the COST to industry in having to meet new regulations, stringent guidelines, etc...

That was my point.

If you don't want to believe Industry has more to loose, spends more money lobbying and is incurring the cost of environmental regulations read your own article.

I need a break ...... I'm out and done with this ....... congratulations .... I'm out.
You miss the point. I didn’t say billions spent on lobbying. Plus. The amount of lobbying is minuscule compared to the spend from just Tides alone. Plus the hundreds of billions being spent is huge inducement to do anything one can and say anything one can to get a share.

Follow the money.

You posted a tiny amount of money spent over many years. It is meaningless.

More money was spent in the 2019 Federal election
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 12-26-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:10 PM

Default Facts

For a thread that’s supposed to be about “facts” there aren’t many on here. The vast majority of people who actually study our atmosphere think we have a real problem. The “alarmists” like the military and even energy companies get it (even though some are still lobbying against it). But here on AO we’ve got a fine collection of deniers and accusers, per usual. I love hunting and the outdoors, but the sheer wilful ignorance on here is baffling. It’s like the cancer/smoking link deniers back in the day. Merry Christmas though.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:39 PM

For those that don't think money overrides environmental conscience...a few very simple examples.

1)Bought a truck battery at Costco a few months ago. Where was it made?....SPAIN

2)Replaced some toilets this spring. Where were they made?....MEXICO

3) Take a look at the country of origin of "No Name" pickles....INDIA

4) Check that frozen salmon you may have recently purchased....from CHINA...then sent to Canada's east coast for packaging

I could go on and on...

Why is this done?...because it is cheaper to produce it elsewhere and transport it here.
Does anyone think about the environmental footprint of this stuff at the checkout?

Now just think about transporting this stuff across the globe with cargo ships....

From the link below;

"Every day the clothes, tech and toys that fill the shelves in our shopping centres seem to arrive there by magic. In fact, about nine out of 10 items are shipped halfway around the world on board some of the biggest and dirtiest machines on the planet.
It has been estimated that just one of these container ships, the length of around six football pitches, can produce the same amount of pollution as 50 million cars. The emissions from 15 of these mega-ships match those from all the cars in the world. And if the shipping industry were a country, it would be ranked between Germany and Japan as the sixth-largest contributor to global CO2 emissions."

https://inews.co.uk/news/long-reads/...llution-515489

And some cities have an idling bylaw....
Old 12-26-2019, 08:55 PM

Default Greta ticks off German railroad

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/15/europ..._blogfooterold

Lol

Handlers sleeping?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-26-2019, 09:05 PM

That is a staged shot.

Poor thing...all alone looking forlornly out the window...
The voice of climate change...alone against the evil world...struggling to get home with all that baggage by herself...

The fact is that she was in the company of her father and her handlers during that train trip...

But sitting first class wouldn't be the image they would want us to see.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:42 AM

Default More on our friend Greta

Facebook Glitch Reveals Greta Thunburg's Father Posting As Teenage Climate Activist

A Thursday evening software update at Facebook accidentally allowed anyone to view exactly who is posting under the accounts of public figures, businesses and other entities, according to Wired. The result? For starters, some 3 million followers of teenage climate activist Greta Thunberg have been reading posts written by her father, Svante Thunberg, and a climate activist in India who serves as a delegate at the UN's Climate Change organization, Adarsh Prathap. Thunberg, Inc. claims Greta is still the one writing the content.

Greta, Inc. explained this in a Saturday Facebook post purporting to be the young climate activist. "Some people have been asking who manages this page. First of all, since last spring I only use Facebook to repost what I write on my Twitter and Instagram accounts," reads the post, in which 'she' says she tried Facebook "early on," but didn't like it, so she uses "my father Svantes account to repost content." "The rest that is shared on Facebook is reposted from Twitter and Instagram by the guy who founded the Greta Thunberg Facebook page long before I knew it existed. His name is Adarsh Prathap and he lives in India. Since a lot of people thought it was my official page in the beginning I asked if I could co-manage it and he said yes." Greta claims to have written all the content posted by her father and Prathap. In other words, "of course it's not me silly - you should have known I just 'co-manage' the fan page."

Except - by all outward appearances it appeared to be her page alone. Facebook's 'page transparency' shows Greta as the confirmed owner - with the only clue suggesting she might have help being a page manager located in India.

According to Facebook, the flaw was quickly fixed - but not before the people behind famous accounts were revealed and shared on public forums such as 4chan. "We quickly fixed an issue where someone could see who edited or published a post on behalf of a Page when looking at its edit history," said the company in a statement. "We are grateful to the security researcher who alerted us to this issue."

Facebook says the bug was the result of a code update that it pushed Thursday evening. It's not something most people would have encountered on their own, since it took navigating to a Page, viewing an edit history, and realizing that there shouldn't be a name and profile picture assigned to edits to exploit it. Still, despite the Friday morning fix, screenshots circulated on 4chan, Imgur, and social media appearing to show the accounts behind the official Facebook Pages of the pseudonymous artist Banksy, Russian president Vladimir Putin, former US secretary of state Hillary Clinton, Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau, the hacking collective Anonymous, climate activist Greta Thunberg, and rapper Snoop Dogg, among others. Facebook points out that no information beyond a name and public profile link were available, but that information isn't supposed to appear in the edit history at all. And for people, say, running anti-regime Pages under a repressive government, making even that much information public is plenty alarming. -Wired