Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-21-2022, 04:36 PM

Default Thoughts on trigger weight

I am bedding a pre 64 Winchester for a friend, that has replaced the barrel. The trigger is horrible, I am guessing well north of 6lbs. To get it lighter I will probably have to replace the spring. Not sure if it is factory, the ends are not a nice flat but looks like someone just cut a spring. I run about 1.5lb on my hunting rifle but know it would be to light for my friend. This rifle gets used by different people throughout different seasons, he has family from down east come out to hunt and the rifle gets used by various people. What weights do most hunting rifles run?

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-21-2022, 04:44 PM

I’d aim for 3lbs maybe 3.5 for that situation.
Old 02-21-2022, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I am bedding a pre 64 Winchester for a friend, that has replaced the barrel. The trigger is horrible, I am guessing well north of 6lbs. To get it lighter I will probably have to replace the spring. Not sure if it is factory, the ends are not a nice flat but looks like someone just cut a spring. I run about 1.5lb on my hunting rifle but know it would be to light for my friend. This rifle gets used by different people throughout different seasons, he has family from down east come out to hunt and the rifle gets used by various people. What weights do most hunting rifles run?
If it were me, seeing how other people use the gun, I’d go about 4lbs.
Old 02-21-2022, 05:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
I’d aim for 3lbs maybe 3.5 for that situation.
I think this would be good also
Old 02-21-2022, 05:21 PM

I run mine around 3, but for that situation I'd use that as a minimum, 3.5 might be better. On my custom set up I'm going to go 2.5. Unless somebody has lots of experience, a light trigger can be dangerous. I've got a revolver that is 18 oz in single action, and I won't let anyone else shoot it unless I know they are very experienced, and with a warning. It is really light. So for a loaner type set up, at least 3.5, even 4.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-21-2022, 06:08 PM

If the people that are going to use the rifle are competent, I would go with 3lbs.
Old 02-21-2022, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If the people that are going to use the rifle are competent, I would go with 3lbs.
If they are not, they shouldn’t be near a gun.
Old 02-21-2022, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
My point exactly.
Old 02-21-2022, 06:55 PM

I haven't shot a normal trigger for ages so I don't know. I will set it at 3lbs and see what my buddy thinks. I was thinking 2.5lbs but I guess I have to bump that up.

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-21-2022, 07:03 PM

A good crisp and safe trigger at 2.5 pounds is normally not an issue for a bigenner
Cat
Old 02-21-2022, 07:22 PM

I run all my hunting rifles at 2.75, but would think 3.5 lbs would be a good setting for a loaner rifle.
Old 02-21-2022, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
A good crisp and safe trigger at 2.5 pounds is normally not an issue for a bigenner
Cat
I didn't mean to insinuate they were beginners, his son in law grew up in Alberta and his Grandson is an accomplished hunter in his own right although young. They just choose to not fly with guns as Grandpa has a good selection.

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-21-2022, 07:45 PM

At one time I use to have all my hunting rifles set at 2lbs. I fond it fine for benchwork but a little light for cold hands. Changed them all back to 2.5.
Old 02-21-2022, 07:56 PM

2.75lbs

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 02-21-2022, 08:44 PM

3 lbs is where I set all my hunting rifles for myself or others. That seems to work fine even with those who have limited experience.
I just don't like them any lighter in the woods, in the event I am fumbling around with cold or frozen fingers.
Old 02-21-2022, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
If only competent people can shoot your guns, how do you introduce new shooters to firearms? I have my RSO cert, and been shooting for almost 50 years, and have taught lots of new shooters. I enjoy it, and it's good for our community. Competence is learned from proper instruction and experience. But people have to start somewhere.

As an example, I took a friend to the range this weekend, and he *IS* an experienced shooter. I brought my Sig X5 which has an incredible trigger on it, and light. I warned him before he shot, that if he wasn't really aware the trigger was light and had a very short reset, that he could inadvertently have a double tap.

He didn't really believe me, until he did it twice. Then he understood, and really concentrated on that target trigger and shot a fantastic group.

All that to say, people have to start somewhere. Put them on a platform where it is appropriate to their skill and comfort level/experience. A super light trigger isn't the place for a novice. But it isn't fair to say 'if they aren't competent don't let them near!'

Better to accommodate and teach in a safe way and on appropriate equipment, and with proper instruction they will become competent. It is up to the person training and instructing to maintain safety.

This isn't maybe relevant to the OP as the shooters seem to be experienced, but I wanted to put it out there as I think it is important that we accommodate new shooters and give them a safe (relative to their skill and experience) platform to learn on.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 02-21-2022 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-21-2022, 09:00 PM

^^^^^ Yessir, set them up to succeed, and enjoy!!^^^^

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 02-21-2022, 09:51 PM

3.5-4lbs
Old 02-21-2022, 10:42 PM

Quote:
I didn't mean to insinuate they were beginners, his son in law grew up in Alberta and his Grandson is an accomplished hunter in his own right although young. They just choose to not fly with guns as Grandpa has a good selection.
They will be fine , then!
I have had many fairly new shooters get behind some of my match rifles and shuetzen rifle as well as my muzzle loaders, all with set triggers, and none had an issue after a little instruction and a few shots.
Som=me of my triggers measuer in a few ounces, not pounds!
Cat
Old 02-22-2022, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
If only competent people can shoot your guns, how do you introduce new shooters to firearms? I have my RSO cert, and been shooting for almost 50 years, and have taught lots of new shooters. I enjoy it, and it's good for our community. Competence is learned from proper instruction and experience. But people have to start somewhere.

As an example, I took a friend to the range this weekend, and he *IS* an experienced shooter. I brought my Sig X5 which has an incredible trigger on it, and light. I warned him before he shot, that if he wasn't really aware the trigger was light and had a very short reset, that he could inadvertently have a double tap.

He didn't really believe me, until he did it twice. Then he understood, and really concentrated on that target trigger and shot a fantastic group.

All that to say, people have to start somewhere. Put them on a platform where it is appropriate to their skill and comfort level/experience. A super light trigger isn't the place for a novice. But it isn't fair to say 'if they aren't competent don't let them near!'

Better to accommodate and teach in a safe way and on appropriate equipment, and with proper instruction they will become competent. It is up to the person training and instructing to maintain safety.

This isn't maybe relevant to the OP as the shooters seem to be experienced, but I wanted to put it out there as I think it is important that we accommodate new shooters and give them a safe (relative to their skill and experience) platform to learn on.
I don't take beginners hunting, until they have proven themselves safe with firearms. If it's a rifle, we shoot paper/steel targets first, if it's a shotgun, we shoot clays. It not only makes it much safer, but if they can't hit targets, I don't want them wounding animals.
Old 02-22-2022, 06:40 AM

I like no more than 2 lbs. for hunting rifles. I have arthritis in my hands and with cold hands can't smoothly pull more than that.
Old 02-22-2022, 08:47 AM

Quote:
I don't take beginners hunting, until they have proven themselves safe with firearms. If it's a rifle, we shoot paper/steel targets first, if it's a shotgun, we shoot clays. It not only makes it much safer, but if they can't hit targets, I don't want them wounding animals.
Absolutely, learning to shoot on animals isn't the way to go about it. Range time first.

Old 02-22-2022, 03:06 PM

If one follows all the firearms safety rules , trigger weight should never cause an issue. That being said 3.5 -4 pounds with clean break is reasonable
Old 02-22-2022, 03:56 PM

Well I measured the trigger pull as is, was I ever wrong. It was only 3lbs... How the heck do people shoot that? Felt like I needed a winch to get it to break. I dropped it to 2.5lb and I will get his thoughts before I let it go. Still feels very heavy to me but I guess scales don't lie.

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-22-2022, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Well I measured the trigger pull as is, was I ever wrong. It was only 3lbs... How the heck do people shoot that? Felt like I needed a winch to get it to break. I dropped it to 2.5lb and I will get his thoughts before I let it go. Still feels very heavy to me but I guess scales don't lie.
Some triggers break clean with no creep at 4lbs and feel better than creepy 2lb triggers. People put WAY too much emphasis on weight. If you squeeze the trigger evenly and slowly it makes NO difference. The quality of the trigger is very important though. A trigger which creeps and slips through its travel will cause accuracy issues. I've seen 1.5lb triggers which had this problem and were terrible to shoot.

I Have a model 70 with the classic trigger design and it was worked over by a gun smith LONG before I owned it and it's a dream. I also have a modern production M70 and its trigger is excellent at 3.75lbs. Absolutely clean break from a consistent pressure with no movement before the break. Feels excellent. I've also got a marlin 336 with a 4.75lb trigger which breaks clean too and feels good, shoots good.

I have a savage with an "accu-trigger" set very, very light yet it moves before breaking and kind of jumps, then pauses, then breaks. Absolute garbage. Marketing garbage.

Sometimes I wonder if people who insist on such light triggers know how to hold a firearm and how to squeeze a trigger properly. I always see them shooting off a concrete bench with some fancy rest holding the rifle and just barely touching the trigger. I don't think they could shoot from a field position to save their lives.

From the American Sniper Association:
"The ASA recommended pull weight is 3.5 to 5 pounds."

Last edited by savage shooter; 02-22-2022 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-23-2022, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage shooter View Post
Some triggers break clean with no creep at 4lbs and feel better than creepy 2lb triggers. People put WAY too much emphasis on weight. If you squeeze the trigger evenly and slowly it makes NO difference. The quality of the trigger is very important though. A trigger which creeps and slips through its travel will cause accuracy issues. I've seen 1.5lb triggers which had this problem and were terrible to shoot.

I Have a model 70 with the classic trigger design and it was worked over by a gun smith LONG before I owned it and it's a dream. I also have a modern production M70 and its trigger is excellent at 3.75lbs. Absolutely clean break from a consistent pressure with no movement before the break. Feels excellent. I've also got a marlin 336 with a 4.75lb trigger which breaks clean too and feels good, shoots good.

I have a savage with an "accu-trigger" set very, very light yet it moves before breaking and kind of jumps, then pauses, then breaks. Absolute garbage. Marketing garbage.

Sometimes I wonder if people who insist on such light triggers know how to hold a firearm and how to squeeze a trigger properly. I always see them shooting off a concrete bench with some fancy rest holding the rifle and just barely touching the trigger. I don't think they could shoot from a field position to save their lives.

From the American Sniper Association:
"The ASA recommended pull weight is 3.5 to 5 pounds."
No doubt a crisp trigger is better than one with creep. But I would take a crisp 2lb trigger over a crisp 4lb trigger.

The harder you have to pull to break the trigger. The more stress your putting on the grip which can cause problems.

Sometimes as well, your aiming and squeezing and aiming squeezing and the trigger is so heavy you don’t even get to the 4lbs to let the shot off before having the start the process all over again.
Old 02-23-2022, 07:07 AM

My personal rifles are all in the 3 pound range. the ones I bench shoot with are at 2.5. The people you ask about are not beginners I would say for a loaner 3 to 4 pounds.
I have trained dozens of new shooters and some are very good but some are very very bad. My philosophy is If in doubt take them shooting from a bench with you standing at their shoulder ensuring complete muzzle control until they have proven themselves capable of being safe.
I have found some you would expect to be competent firearms user to have not fired a rifle in years and just grab a rifle jump in the truck and go hunting.

My hunting companions and I all shoot our rifles several times a year to avoid loss of the practice trigger control requires. Over the years I have noticed that a large number of the accidental discharges and serious accidents are made by users who i would have expected to be completely competent but instead became complacent.
Old 02-23-2022, 07:27 AM

I have an accutech on my 700 and it's set at around 2 lbs. The trigger is super crisp, money well spent.
Old 02-23-2022, 07:42 AM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
I assume this is JJ's rifle your talking about, he's been shooting it at that pull weight for 50 years so he'll think it's normal, might find a half pound lighter a bit better but, if you didn't tell him you adjusted it I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't feel the difference.

All my Bench rest target rifles are set 2-4 ounces, after shooting them all season when I get behind a hunting rifle with a nice 2.5 lb. trigger it feels like pulling a truck. LOL I've even double checked the safety after going, what the..?
Old 02-23-2022, 08:29 AM

The best trigger is the one you are use to. The OP should ask and not assume. Most animals are shot each season with a factory set trigger by a hunter that has fired a few shots to check zero.

I have shot dozens of animals with Lee-Enfield rifles and can shoot them very accurately. They tend to have triggers like Lee-Enfields.

If a hunter is accustom to a little bit of creep and a 4 pound plus trigger it is best to stick with that. Many hunters place their finger on the trigger before they are on target. Add cold hands, a touch of excitement and a trigger set at under 3 pounds and I would expect some erratic groups. I don't believe a person can become accustom to a light trigger with a range session or two on a borrowed rifle.

I would also consider the hunting style. Still hunters that frequent the bush have little need for a light trigger when changing positions to get the shot. A stand hunter in open country might very well need a finely set trigger if they are reaching out there in a controlled environment.