Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-20-2008, 05:49 PM

Default My recurve long bow, help needed.

Hi,
I have a 64" recurve Bow, its labeled (56# @ 28"), but I've never put a string on it. I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light as to what string is best, and what the Bow is designed for.

Its labeled "Deermaster", but I was thinking of using it for targets, or the rare unfortunate Gopher. Anyone know what these are worth used?

Thanks for any help.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:00 PM

Default String?

Chances are it needs a string made out of dacron and should be 3-1/2" to 4-1/2" shorter than than the distance measured on the bow from where the string goes on the limbs.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:44 PM

Thanks man.
Old 07-20-2008, 11:56 PM

Default some more elaboration on this bow

What is the manufacturers name? Would it be Dunarco/Dunmark? If it is it would be from the 60's/70's (made in ON). It's a field/hunting weight bow. With the right arrows you can use it for whatever you want...moose to gophers or targets. A dacron string marked 64" AMO would be the proper string or a custom string for a 64 inch bow would be 61-64 inches in actual length. You should be looking for a brace height of between 7 1/2 to 9 inches more or less. You'll have to play with that measurement to find the sweet spot......more twists in the string to lengthen the brace height will give you less hand shock and less noise. When ordering a string always provide the length of the bow that is stated on the bow. You do not want a string that is actually 64" long for a 64 inch bow. AMO Standards of the past would call for a 4" shorter string when measuring from string groove to string groove on bows made before the year 2000. And on bows made after the year 2000 strings would be 3" shorter from string groove to string groove. EXAMPLE for a pre 2000 recurve bow, when measured from string groove to string groove the bow measures 64" so you would need a 60" string. Here is a good link: http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/pub...easuring.shtml
AMO standards document is att also.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AMOStandards.pdf (125.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 07-21-2008, 06:09 AM

Yup, sure looks like a Dunarco/Dunmark to me.
I have a few, and owned a 60# exactly like that one.
That particular model doesn't have a high brace height ;ike some of the Danarcos, because of its limb design.
The string I made for mine is 3 1/2" shorter than the AMO length
make sure you get a dacron string however, as these bows will not stand a
string made from one of the newer non stretch kind of synthetics.

Is yours a 60" or 62" bow?
Cat
Old 07-21-2008, 10:12 AM

Thats awesome guys, thanks. Heres a couple more pics of the labels.

Twist you say, hmmm. I didn't know that. Something to tweek, I love it! lol
Is a Darcon string hard to find? Can I find one at most sporting stores that sell strings?
Old 07-21-2008, 10:59 AM

Gotta have twists in the string. 1-3 twists per inch is typical. Dacron is common for trad bows......64 inches AMO is common too. A custom multi color flemish twist string (braided loops) is nicer to look at than a standard endless loop string (served loops)....in my opinion. Get an AMO 64" dacron string over the counter. You probably won't find this in a flemish twist...maybe though. If you can't find a flemist twist string find a string maker and order a dacron flemish twist string in a couple of colours. You should have a couple strings anyway.