Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-15-2008, 12:38 PM

Default New bow

Last year my bow was stolen, my fault for leaving it in the trunk of my car overnight, anyway I am now in the market for a new or used bow. The last bow I purchased was 15 years ago and I have noticed that the technology has changed a lot in this time. If any one could give me some advice on a good bow I would appreciate it.

Ray
Old 07-15-2008, 01:41 PM

im shooting a bowtech general right now and love it, very smooth, fairly fast, and quiet.
the majority of the bows on the market are good bows, everything bowtech, hoyt, mathews, alpine, apa, etc. will be good for you. If its going to be a hunting designed rig i would go with parallel or beyond parallel limbs with 80% let off and capability to shoot up to 70 lbs. You will need to go out and shoot lots of bows before you buy one just to find what fits you best and what you like most. Ahigher end new setup is going to run you $1200+ with most of the accesories
Old 07-15-2008, 06:52 PM

Like 7 mag said shoot lots before you decide. I just got back into bowhunting this past winter, bought a bowtech tomkat, and I really like it. Can't go wrong with going to a place like Jim Bow's (5st NE Calgary) I shot several different bows there liked the feel and the price on the tomkat and bought it.

Jim's service is second to none as well, IMO.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:05 AM

The last two posters pretty much covered it all. Shoots different models and see which one feels best in your hands. You'll know right away.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:47 PM

Ok sounds good thanks for the advise