Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn Blair CBC View Post
I am a hunter too, of quotes. (-;
Sorry but many here are leery of journalists and especially CBC.... Do you have pics of yourself with downed game?
Old 07-29-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
I think its great that shes looking for input from people who are more educated then those anti-hunters.
Ever see how a journalist can twist words? I wanna see hunting pics.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo101 View Post
I"m sure I'll get bashed for this...but I think what is at the route of the outrage is the idea of Trophy Hunting. Yes I understand what it does for the local economy etc but I'll never understand the "desire". This sentiment that if you're not into the idea of Trophy Hunting means you're an anti is tiresome.

The other thing that is getting old is the "outrage" from social justice warriors sitting by Facebook, Twitter etc to lay "Shame". Trophy Hunters are an easy target for these people and maybe, as hunters we'd be smart to not fuel the fire. It would be similar to laying your views on abortion, religion, lgbt, etc etc on your status and being surprised by the backlash.

To each their own....
For me I get the desire. I have the same desire to put a huge tom cougar on my wall. I cant afford to head across the world to hunt, nor is my place big enough to house trophies of those sizes. Since you arnt headed to africa ill use an example you will understand. You have an elk tag in your pocket. You come into a meadow and low and behold 2 bull elk standing broadside at 100yrds. One is a young 4X5 that might break 220", The other is a massive 6X7 that will def go over 370". What one will you shoot?

Younger bull is gonna taste way better but the trophy aspect of the larger bull, well I know what one I would shoot and it would make me a trophy hunter.

Whether you hunt for food, trophy or both the biggest thing to remember is we are all HUNTERS. Nothing more, nothing less. We hunt that is it. We as a group need to focus on getting a solid separation between hunters and poachers. Poachers are not hunters they are poachers. You never ever see a media story about a man taking an elk and supplying his family good quality meat for months and months. But you hear stories often about a deer shot and left. The general public see the same stories and guess what they think..... HUNTERS shot and left that deer.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
I believe Tork was referring to the documentary "blood lions", the link I posted, about "canned", aka "game farmed" lion hunting in South Africa, in his statement about the end of lion hunting
Quote:
I was talking about the movie made about captive bred lions, not the poaching incident elkhunter
This incident will likely get more publicity, and do more to damage the reputation of hunting, than any documentary will, and it would not have occurred , were it not for the illegal actions of the PH.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I think its great that shes looking for input from people who are more educated then those anti-hunters.
I think she captured the discussion and concern quite appropriately. No one is aghast at an animal being taken through hunting, but some are concerned that the proper laws are followed and wondered whether they were. Of course responsible hunters are concerned with laws and ethics. And the answer is "Lets see as the facts reveal themselves over time".

Those that are experienced in African hunts should take the opportunity to contact her and fill her in.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Sorry but many here are leery of journalists and especially CBC.... Do you have pics of yourself with downed game?
Shes a quote hunter :P
Old 07-29-2015, 01:50 PM
Banned

Wow...reading many of the comments here it's no wonder 1/2 the population hates hunters/hunting.
What they did was ILLEGAL.
So anyone who is not a hunter reads some of the dimbulbed comments here and figures hunters just feel they are above the law...that we can kill whatever we want, whenever we want...laws be damned.
And then you wonder why they try so hard to get hunting banned...by voting for whatever political party is anti-gun.
Some of you can't see any further than the end of your noses.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Shes a quote hunter :P
Of quotes.... Gotcha!
Old 07-29-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Ever see how a journalist can twist words? I wanna see hunting pics.
Of course I have, aswell as everyone else with a head on their shoulders lol. I dunno I guess I appreciate the fact shes on a forum looking for opinions and such from hunters. I mean really she could be strolling the streets of downtown calgary asking random people on the streets who just finished their gluten free frappe latte crap what they think about it.... I would rather see a story on tv with info that came from a group of hunters, then a story where info came from a group of tree huggers.

Thats my thought anyways
Old 07-29-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
wow...reading many of the comments here it's no wonder 1/2 the population hates hunters/hunting.
You guys can't see further than the noses on your face.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Wow...reading many of the comments here it's no wonder 1/2 the population hates hunters/hunting.
What they did was ILLEGAL.
So anyone who is not a hunter reads some of the dimbulbed comments here and figures hunters just feel they are above the law...that we can kill whatever we want, whenever we want...laws be damned.
And then you wonder why they try so hard to get hunting banned...by voting for whatever political party is anti-gun.
Some of you can't see any further than the end of your noses.
Im willing to bet the HUNTER you know the guy who pulled the trigger had no idea he was in the wrong. Thats what you pay a PH for. All a PH does is guide you to an animal to kill and the hunter pulls the trigger. Its a shame the hunter has to suffer the backlash from this
Old 07-29-2015, 02:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Im willing to bet the HUNTER you know the guy who pulled the trigger had no idea he was in the wrong. Thats what you pay a PH for. All a PH does is guide you to an animal to kill and the hunter pulls the trigger. Its a shame the hunter has to suffer the backlash from this
I'll bet he knew.
Have you read any of the articles on this guy. He has been convicted in the past for poaching (2006 and 2008) in the U.S.
Oh...and then there were the sex assault charges when he sexually assaulted one of his employees a few years back.
Nope...no way you can defend this guy with good conscience.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I'll bet he knew.
Have you read any of the articles on this guy. He has been convicted in the past for poaching (2006 and 2008) in the U.S.
Oh...and then there were the sex assault charges when he sexually assaulted one of his employees a few years back.
Without knowing all the facts there's no way you can hang him in good conscience either...
Old 07-29-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Wow, Water Ninja, I wonder if you anticipated what a huge debate this post would generate! I am a journalist with CBC Calgary and would be interested in speaking with you about the story of Cecil the lion and some of the concerns it raises within the Alberta hunting community. Some seem to think the hunter did nothing wrong, but they worry that the story will fuel anti-hunting sentiment. Others seem to question the ethics and legality of the Zimbabwe hunt in the story. Either way, the conversation among local hunters is interesting. Please call my desk at 403-521-6153 if you`d be willing to share your thoughts on this. This invitation is open to anyone on this thread. Thanks, and please forgive my lurking. I am a hunter too, of quotes. (-;
good lord, ask anyone but waterninja , hes far from an expert on any subject.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
I'll bet he knew.
Well without knowing the facts im calling bs on the sex assault. You can get charged for that for brushing your hand across someones butt by accident.

I dont know or care about the past offences either. The fact is he paid for a hunt he bought which comes with all the paperwork and all that. The company hands him a PH which then guides him to a trophy animal. Im 100% placing blame on the PH
Old 07-29-2015, 02:45 PM

http://www.theblaze.com/contribution...n-dead-people/
Old 07-29-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Please call my desk at 403-521-6153 if you`d be willing to share your thoughts on this. This invitation is open to anyone on this thread. Thanks, and please forgive my lurking. I am a hunter too, of quotes. (-;
This AO, is called the "Bait". You are Cecil, and there is some tasty meat you can smell over yonder. If you go over there, you will get shot. Please do not take the bait. Your pride (AO) will suffer immensely.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:54 PM

Good read thanks Bloody
Old 07-29-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Good read thanks Bloody
X2
Old 07-29-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
For me I get the desire. I have the same desire to put a huge tom cougar on my wall. I cant afford to head across the world to hunt, nor is my place big enough to house trophies of those sizes. Since you arnt headed to africa ill use an example you will understand. You have an elk tag in your pocket. You come into a meadow and low and behold 2 bull elk standing broadside at 100yrds. One is a young 4X5 that might break 220", The other is a massive 6X7 that will def go over 370". What one will you shoot?

Younger bull is gonna taste way better but the trophy aspect of the larger bull, well I know what one I would shoot and it would make me a trophy hunter.

Whether you hunt for food, trophy or both the biggest thing to remember is we are all HUNTERS. Nothing more, nothing less. We hunt that is it. We as a group need to focus on getting a solid separation between hunters and poachers. Poachers are not hunters they are poachers. You never ever see a media story about a man taking an elk and supplying his family good quality meat for months and months. But you hear stories often about a deer shot and left. The general public see the same stories and guess what they think..... HUNTERS shot and left that deer.
I am like you also. I would take the larger one. That's the hypocrisy I carry. Either way though I'd be taking it for Meat first, Trophy second. And how often do you get your pick between two Bulls...lol. First Elk in front of my Bow this year is going in my freezer.

I guess the main point I was getting at is we all hunt for different reasons. We all experience different feelings and share different beliefs on ethics etc. I don't buy into the sentiment that we're either all together or we're not. I get a kick out of some peoples ethics being aligned directly with the law. If it's legal, it's ethical. Personally I don't see baiting a near tame Lion from the outskirts of a park, at night, as being all that ethical. I acknowledge that it's not my position to judge those that participate in these hunts or their intentions or reasoning for doing so...just not for me. I never enjoyed guided fishing and I'm sure I wouldn't enjoy guided hunting either. For me, the fun is the Education, Prep, Scouting, Hunt, Processing etc...
Old 07-29-2015, 03:16 PM

Default proper paperwork

how many of you have had a desire to have something done at your house ie contracted, have you ever asked to see the wcb paperwork or the actual insurance and have you contracted the insurance company or wcb to see if they are even legit or just take the word from the contractor? just because the ph says he has a tag do trust him or ask to see the actual paperwork
Old 07-29-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
This AO, is called the "Bait". You are Cecil, and there is some tasty meat you can smell over yonder. If you go over there, you will get shot. Please do not take the bait. Your pride (AO) will suffer immensely.
x2. Don't throw fuel on the fire, you never know how its going to burn.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
X2
X3

A year from now, someone will do a follow up story about that villainous dentist from long ago, and we’ll all think, “Oh yeah, whatever happened to that guy?” Then we’ll see that he lost his business, his family, and his dignity, and now lives as a sad shell of a forgotten man. “Serves him right for doing whatever he did,” we’ll say proudly, as we get back to feasting upon the newest Scoundrel Du Jour. It’s a never ending pattern, played out over and over again by a progressive culture filled with craven wimps, always compensating for their moral failings by tearing down false Satans, too afraid to do battle with the real one.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:47 PM

Shot by a dentist ? always love a story where a dentist gets in Doo Doo. Prices they charge , it looks good on them .

Grizz
Old 07-29-2015, 03:53 PM
Banned

Let's not defend or minimize what happened. It's was unethical at the least, and illegal from the information we have.

The guy is a scumbag poacher.

Period. He's proven that from previous convictions. He had harmed hunting and real hunters more than anyone in the past number of years.

Thank-you to the Dallas Safari Club for calling it like it is...a criminal act that needs to be prosecuted.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
This incident will likely get more publicity, and do more to damage the reputation of hunting, than any documentary will, and it would not have occurred , were it not for the illegal actions of the PH.
100% elkhunter. The PH broke the law and should be punished. The hunter will never admit if he knew the truth either way. The landowner was given this farm when President Mugabe took it in the land grab so he is somehow connected and is likely above the law either way.

As for this film I'm sure it will piggy back its way to fame off this incident.

Having hunted this area of the world, I can see how this incident could happen without the hunters knowledge. And I can honestly say if I was sitting in that blind and that big boy stepped out I would have smoked him too, without hesitation.
It would be heartbreaking finding out after that my PH lied and I didn't have a lion on quota. I feel bad for this hunter, that is if he's telling the truth about being in the dark.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Let's not defend or minimize what happened. It's was unethical at the least, and illegal from the information we have.

The guy is a scumbag poacher.

Period. He's proven that from previous convictions. He had harmed hunting and real hunters more than anyone in the past number of years.

Thank-you to the Dallas Safari Club for calling it like it is...a criminal act that needs to be prosecuted.
Illegal yes, but what was unethical about it ???

Do we all not hope and pray every year we draw a 438 sheep tag so we can sit on the mine boundary and shoot a 200" ram that wonders off the protected area ?

Do we not bait wolves and bears ?

Is it wrong to shoot a bull elk that wondered out of Jasper because some biologist named him Athabasca ?
Old 07-29-2015, 04:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post

Do we all not hope and pray every year we draw a 438 sheep tag so we can sit on the mine boundary and shoot a 200" ram that wonders off the protected area ?

Do we not bait wolves and bears ?

Is it wrong to shoot a bull elk that wondered out of Jasper because some biologist named him Athabasca ?
100% agree.

i think we all need to get out scouting for the upcoming season and forget this thread
Old 07-29-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Old 07-29-2015, 04:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
100% elkhunter. The PH broke the law and should be punished. The hunter will never admit if he knew the truth either way. The landowner was given this farm when President Mugabe took it in the land grab so he is somehow connected and is likely above the law either way.

As for this film I'm sure it will piggy back its way to fame off this incident.

Having hunted this area of the world, I can see how this incident could happen without the hunters knowledge. And I can honestly say if I was sitting in that blind and that big boy stepped out I would have smoked him too, without hesitation.
It would be heartbreaking finding out after that my PH lied and I didn't have a lion on quota. I feel bad for this hunter, that is if he's telling the truth about being in the dark.
One thing I don't understand is how and why this fellows name, occupation and address were released to the public even before any kind of investigation got started? He hadn't even spoken to any authorities and yet he was tried and found guilty by the media and general populace.
Closed Thread