Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2008, 05:40 PM
Banned

Default Outfitting a camp (Suggestions?)

Ok, who here has ever teamed up with a semi large group of people (Say 8)

Everyone throws in some cash and together they purchase a brand new camp set up. We were thinking 2 Wall tents, Large propane stove, wood tent heaters.. and all the other toys, even to the point of talking about a enclosed trailer for hauling and a hot water shower. I mean everything right down to a camp chain saw.
Basicly, the only thing a person would have to bring to camp is a sleeping bag and his/her personal effects. Think what it would be like to go on a guided/Outfitted hunt. Of couse with out horses or a quad. (The guys can deal with those things by themselves)

Has anyone ever done this?
Could anyone add some suggestions as to how it works? Or how it couldnt work?
I have mixed feelings on the idea, but am willing to look at it.

Also if you happen to have a list compiled in regards to your equipment I sure would appreciate seeing it. Remenber this will be a camp for approx 8-10 people.

Thanks
Jamie
Old 10-22-2008, 05:53 PM

Thats a big group Jamie !!

Over the years I have compiled my own camp ( relatively inexpensive )
10 x 12 wall tent , camp stove , generator , trailer , quad etc etc and I can leave at a moments notice. Our group is small , 2 or 4 guys and thats it
good luck with your venture.

Rob
Old 10-22-2008, 06:23 PM
Banned

Ruger... That is also one of my problems... Not sure how it would be with all those different personalitys. Dont get me wrong the guys in mind are all good people. But who knows how it will all shake out? Who knows how it will look in 5 years.. Lots of questions.. No answers.

Jamie
Old 10-22-2008, 06:39 PM

Sounds like a really good way to lose 8 or 9 friends to me.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post

Everyone throws in some cash and together they purchase a brand new camp set up. We were thinking 2 Wall tents, Large propane stove, wood tent heaters.. and all the other toys, even to the point of talking about a enclosed trailer for hauling and a hot water shower. I mean everything right down to a camp chain saw.
Basicly, the only thing a person would have to bring to camp is a sleeping bag and his/her personal effects. Think what it would be like to go on a guided/Outfitted hunt. Of couse with out horses or a quad. (The guys can deal with those things by themselves)

Also if you happen to have a list compiled in regards to your equipment I sure would appreciate seeing it. Remenber this will be a camp for approx 8-10 people.

Thanks
Jamie
What happens when you opt out (take it as a loss)?

Can you transfer parternership to somebody else to get your money back?

Can you invite anybody you want (kids/wives/friends)?

Who stores the stuff?

Who maintains the stuff?

Camp is always set up in the same place or?

All this stuff must come out in the open before you spend anything. There will be more stuff to. Think of anything that can go wrong and bring it up. There is aften a falling out among the group. The bigger the group the more problems.

Somebody has to be the lead partner. Not so much as the ruler but there has to be someone who is the main point of contact to put people together to get things done or set things right.

It's easier than it sounds. I was in a camp of seven for quite a few years. I moved on. Good luck if you go ahead on this.....
Old 10-22-2008, 07:49 PM

Have each person in the group spend the same amount of money buying gear for the camp. And come hunting season if one of the group can't make it he/she still has to let the others use his gear. And for some reason that a member doesn't want to continue they either sell their gear to the others or take it with them it's their choice. This way your not in a conflict.

Just a Idea
Old 10-23-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post

Thanks
Jamie
I'm not sure if it can be done that way. I think the best way is too have one person take the bull by the horns and purchase the equipment. Usually the person that is the biggest diehard, that never turns down a hunt. The rest of the "camp" can pitch in, and that way you dont get any bickering about one not wanting to go out, or one person using the equipment too much.
Thats how our group has done it, and it works out very well.
Hot shower and a crapper trailer I never thought of that.
& spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!
Old 10-23-2008, 09:50 AM

8 is likely too many to hunt an area at the same time.
Maybe if you half it, or 2 groups 4 at a time.
Our camp has 3 partners, 3 families, and not all wives & kids hunt either,
so we have lots of room in camp and on the land to hunt when all partners are there at the same time.

Topwater is correct, 8 or so is too many, not all will be happy.

TBark
Old 10-23-2008, 10:16 AM
Banned

Tbark.. Yes I also have concerns about that.
As it stands right now, we both like to hunt with our fathers. SO that makes 4 as it stands, but we also can see that comming to a end (Due to time, age ect)
We are trying to recruit like minded hunting partners. So that we can continue this great tradition. I just wonder if the proper size is going to be 6 people. Including our dads?

Still lots to think about. Myself I am a big fan of actually buying a place and have found a few 1/4's around that $45,000 mark that back onto Green space.
The problem with the Outfited camp idea is that there is no investment value. Equipment breaks, land tends to hold its value.. If not go up.

So lets say, you buy your chunk of land for $45,000 put $20,000 into a Mobile home and some basic services. That meens you owe $65,000. If as a group you can scratch up 30% down ($20,000) That would leave you with a MRTG of Approx $45,000. Payments would be approx $300/ month.. Sure I am missing taxes, utilites and general costs to run the camp.. But still that makes more sense to me than buying a tent.

Well anyhow.. Just a few thoughts

Jamie
Old 10-23-2008, 04:20 PM

Jamie, 8 is a lot of people. My cousin and I made our wall tent. He had the canvas and togeather we sewed it up on a borrowed sewing machine. The stove was made out of an old fuel tank off a wrecked highway tractor. (steel square tank). we hunt togeather and depending on how many are going we either use his big tent 17x20x5 ft wall or use my 12x14x5 ft wall tent. We both have stoves for our tents. One person should be responsible for storing the equipment, but the rest should help in maintaining it. IE setting it up to dry and rolling it up after the season.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:15 PM

jamie, I have never done that but sounds like a great idea!

All pitch in equal shares for 1/8 of the property. Like you said, it will probably increase in value so if you ever want to sell your "chunk", next person would get a good deal.

The season is pretty long so you can book different weeks to keep the groups smaller as 8 guys in a mobile would be pushing it.

Great idea but getting 8 guys all on the same page might be the biggest obstacle.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:15 PM

IMO with that many people involved you are looking for trouble. If a couple of guys want to go on a hunt that conflicts the the rest of the group? Who decides what group gets the goods? With that many people there will be conflicts on dates as all probably won't be able to get time off work at the same time.

I normally go with a group of 4 guys and last fall when I bought the tent the same discussion came up within our group. I am anal about my stuff and a control freak. I bought the tent so that I didn't have to worry about the tent getting wrecked or not being there when I need it. It was a good thing as the guy who bought the tarp for the floor stored it in a seacan and was full of mouse crap and chewed to hell. If I had put in 25% of the tent for it to show up chewed to **** by mice I would have freaked.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:18 PM

Default Our (my) Camp

We have done this for years. Our camp started in the early 90s and continues today. The members have changed and there is only 2 of the original members who go every year (2-3 times) and others who come and go. The original camp was owned by one person and when he stopped hunting we borrowed and salvaged items for camp. It has evolved to now where I own 95% of the camp but I make it availiable for anyone in our group to use if needed. We divide the cost of food and disposables (plates,cups, matches, spices, etc) equally for each trip and everyone chips in for propane, generator fuel etc. Everyone BYOBs and mix (Evening use only). If someone finds something that they feel would be an asset in camp and it is not a significant dollar value they purchase it and donate it to the camp. As far as who can join or not when someone mentiones that another person is interested as long as no one going on the current trip has an objection the person is allowed to come. Only once in 17 years has anybody been sent home, but it can happen. The person who asked if the "dude" could come just packed him up halfway thru the hunt and took him home.

Our (my) Camp; 14 by 16 wall tent (c/w internal frame), tent pegs, fly, wood stove, heat activated fan (goes on top of wood stove), 8 or 10 tarps of various sizes, propane stove, 6 propane bottles (2-30lb, 2-20lb,2-5lb), propane tree and hose, picnic table, 3-bunks (c/w 3in foam mattress) , cots (3), lanterns (gas and propane), 2500W generator, power cords, 120volt lights (clear xmas), chain saw (oil and gas), axes, firepit grate, complete set of pots,pans,dishes,utensils, 2-stove top propane heaters, 120 volt heater, portable shower, lawn chairs, weiner sticks, 2 large pulleys (for hanging meat pole and game), wack of rope, tie downs and bungee cords, tow rope, chain, booster cables, hammer and nails, tool kit, coolers, 4-water jugs, flashlights, thermo cell all in an inclosed trailer. I know that I forgot a fer things but this is most of it,

We use the trailer as a kitchen in the cold hunts and storage in the warmer weather. All food is locked in it and we run the generator and the electric heater or a propane heater to keep the food and water from freezing in the winter. I also can move a few things into my garage and use the trailer as bunkhouse for a short weekend alone or for 2-4 guys. We have used this camp for +30 to -30 and have been comfortable. When we leave we ensure that everything is picked up and the only sign of our presence is the matted down grass and the ashes from our fire. All garbage is hauled out and the ****ter hole is filled.

Hope this helps. Good hunting!
Old 10-23-2008, 08:03 PM

I have split things in the past with only one buddy 50/50. I would only do this with a couple of close friends, and even then with great caution. I think with 8 people it would be a recipe for someone not being happy because "Joe and John" use the gear more, or he ripped the tent so he should pay for the repair, etc... Pettiness will rear its ugly head with 8 owners over time. In theory communal ownership sounds good, but just look at any fridge in a workplace lunchroom. If one person owned the fridge that used it and was in charge of allowing people use it it would not be full of moldy old sandwiches and rotting fruit.

If you and your Dad have the means then buy all the gear, you are responsible for it, storage, cleaning, etc and just invite the 8 guys and you two are in charge of it. It seems alot simpler this way to me and the end result is the same.

Last edited by LongDraw; 10-23-2008 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:14 PM

If your looking for a good sized tent for that large of group check out kings coat in Red Deer they deal in millitary surplus and have these tents that are 16' x 8' and you can just keep adding 8' sections as you need and they are cheap and good quality.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:25 AM

Sounds like a likely scenario for a 8 man brawl.
Sooner or later, sooner or later.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:08 AM

Default tent group camp

Jamie, a freind of mine and 10 other guys have had a shared camp for more than 25 years, and it works out for them very well. They have two portable wooden tents ( sleeps ten comfortabley), stoves, gen sets eveything, each year just before elk season starts they set up camp and take it down in mid dec. They set it up in the same location each year or within a couple hundred yards anyway. over the season its like a drop in centre for the guys and their families and freinds. No one person spends the whole time there maybe a week or two and some weekends. I think the most that ever is there at once is maybe 6 or 7. usually three or four is the normal. I have gone there a couple of weekends over the years and the guys all get along great.