Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-04-2008, 10:50 AM

Default ATTN: Sausage Makers

Question for all you folks who make yer own. Can previously processed game that was made into burger and then frozen, be unfrozen, made into some type of sausage, and then re-frozen? Any help appreciated.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:19 AM

It can, but make sure to remove anything that has even a hint or freezer burn - you can tell by the color. Your dogs/cats will appreciate the trimmed stuff. If you add fresh fat (pork or beef) and use fresh seasonings and herbs it can work, but if the thawed out ground meat is a year or so old you might want to fry a bit up plain to check it for "old" flavor. Wild meat's usually very lean so the fat rancid problem is not a big issue, especially if it was oroginally wrapped and frozen properly. Best bet is to try a small batch, a few pounds. Finish it and try it out. I'm using a bunch of last year's ground elk and moose for a batch of cured, smoker-cooked garlic sausage as we speak because the small test batch worked well. It'll be refrozen but eaten very soon. Need room for this year's stuff!
Old 10-04-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Red Man View Post
Question for all you folks who make yer own. Can previously processed game that was made into burger and then frozen, be unfrozen, made into some type of sausage, and then re-frozen? Any help appreciated.
You might wanna talk to Buckmaster he is the sausage king.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:45 PM

Default Sausage Makers

I have been doing it for years using venison up to 2 yrs. old with no problem. I just use fresh pork trimmings usually picnic shoulders every time. I refreeze all the sausage and my friends are unable to tell the difference. Altho i just make seasoned and cured or smoked not fresh. This time of the year I use up all old meat to make room for the fresh stuff soon to be had. Go to the Bradley Smokers Forum for some great recipes especially the summer sausage.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:03 PM

No problem.
I've done it and am still here to say that it's better that way than to make a 100lb batch and end up tossing freezer burnt kubie a year later.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:35 PM

Default sausage

You asked about using already ground burger for sausage, lots of people do and they seem happy with the result. I never would though once it's ground lots of things happen to make for less than decent sausage. The best way in the future is to freeze your trim in one kilo bags and grind/make sausage every few months. Remember this equation for food SI=SO **** in=**** out use the best quality ingredients to get the best quality.

the chef
Old 10-05-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
You might wanna talk to Buckmaster he is the sausage king.
The meat should be fine as long as the patties are not seasoned/cured.Also check for freezerburn as the meat can taste bad/rancid!
Old 10-05-2008, 09:46 PM

One thing I like to do when I get game is to give the meat that is to be ground up a single course grinding then freeze it in 2lb packages. As I make sausage, jerky etc throughout the year all I do is pull out the amount required and make what I want. I find this better than making large batches and getting tired of the sausage.

One thing I make it a point to do is to remove all fat and never use a saw on bones when I process. Bone dust can make the meat taste pretty gross.

I've used meat this way that has been over two years old and have had very good success.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:20 AM

Default Sausage Stuffer

Thanks for the replies. The ground I have was packaged and processed well and has no freezer burn. In fact, I frequently make excellent chili and spaghetti with it.

So, next question: can anyone recommend a good grinder (to add some pork) and sausage stuffer. I see Cabelas has some stuffers, but the reviews are poor. Thanks again.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:26 AM

Most good grinders will come with sausage tubes, just use them. I have used both the stuffers and the tubes on the grinders and I found the stuffers to be a pain in the ass. If you buy a good electric grinder its easy to start and stop and make any size rings or links.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:30 PM

Default What Grinder

OK Trav, thanks. Can you recommend a good grinder/stuffer?
Old 10-06-2008, 02:00 PM

princess auto just had a grinder/stuffer on for 69 bucks.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Red Man View Post
OK Trav, thanks. Can you recommend a good grinder/stuffer?
Well, I bought a manual one from Cabela's last year, they had them on sale for like 70-80 bucks or something. I am working on rigging it up with an electric motor (which reminds me I should finish that someday). They also have some nice ones which are electric, not sure if they are any good or not. I can say go for the bigger grinder though, a #32 is the size I got, and I wouldn't want to go any smaller.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:20 PM

Smile Princess Auto $69 Grinder?

Well, I just bought one of the Princess Auto specials-have not used it yet-will see how it handles things this fall.

I spoke with the sales clerk and she said if I was not satisfied for any reason, just bring it back.

It only has a 500 watt motor, dont remember how to make the horsepower conversion-maybe someone electrically minded on the forum can let me know the formula . . .

Sorry if this was a thread hijack.

"It is not the shirt on the man, but rather the man in the shirt"
Old 10-07-2008, 02:00 PM

Just read your inquiry on sausage making. Buy a box 1kg. of sifto quik-kure
for meat curing There used to be a recipe in the box makes very good sausage.
Have used this for years simple and dont need any special equipment.
Have just taken the last of the moose out of the oven.
One box will last for years I hope they still have it.
If you need the recipe PM me or could post if some are interested.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:31 PM

Default Update

Hey Folks,

Well, I ended up buying one of the Princess Auto grinders. Grinds things up really well, but is a little less than to be desired when stuffing the casings. Going to look at a good stuffer for this portion of the job. Used the High Mountain sausage kits that include cure/spice/casings and would highly recommend these. The sausages turned out great.

PS Used about 20% pork fat added to a couple of cubed up Elk roasts from last year (about 15 lbs total).
Old 10-28-2008, 11:29 PM

Check Halford Hides they have a good slection of stuffers and grinders.