Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2008, 12:02 PM

Default Satellite Phone HELP!

I would like to know from personal experience if anyone has used or can recomend a satellite phone? I can't go this year without family communication because of a new little one and the wife & her being on their own. It just seems like it would be irresponsible to not go this way.

I am in the Edmonton area & have an option at this time of using the following:

Globalstar (however the sat's are under repair and the calls can be hard to get out immediately; up to 30min's.) 2.5lbs

Irridium: 1.5' x 1' <5lbs available

The review i read on the internet said the call quality is poor on the irridium vs the global star.

Do you think it is a big deal if a call maybe hard to connect immediately vs a poor quality audio call?

Please give any advice or information possible to help make this decision.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-06-2008, 12:16 PM

Iridium is the way to go here Boss. Connection times on the globalstar are crap......and I mean really bad.

As far as poor connections on the Iridium...IMO they are a non issue. You just have to understand that you are on a sat phone.....treat it like a radio. Both parties should speak clear and concisely and then sit through that "uncomfortable break" in the conversation. As long as both parties are on the same page and understand how to use it.....there is no issue.

Look at the Northern Lights Package at Iridium.....it may suit your needs better than buying minutes.

Respectfully,

tm
Old 08-06-2008, 12:20 PM

Default Exactly

TM,

Thanks, this is excatly the logical response i am looking for. I will continue with my plan to visit the irridium supplier.

Simpatico
Old 08-06-2008, 12:46 PM

I've been using a globalstar for a few years now , sporatically , and it was horrible awhile back.
LAst time I used it on a fishing trip a couple months ago I can say that the connect time was better than before.
I know they said they had ''satellite problems '' before and were working on upgrades.
It's unfortunate that they aren't , or at least weren't reliable , when in fact that's the whole reason I have it is for emergencies.
Can't speak about the other one mentioned, but definitely compare costs and plans , and if thinking Globalstar , I'd contact them about their service issues and hear their propaganda about rectifying the issue's they were having.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:56 PM

Hey Simpatico,

Have a look on e-bay....they have some really good deals. I've seen a few 9500's go in the $700 range as of late. Can't do the internet thing or text....phone only. I've seen a few of the Kyocera's that use Iridium system and they are pretty small.....don't know how well they work but they are easier on the pocket as well.

Even when globalstar was working at 100% we lost signal at the 76th parallel....who woulda thunk

Been an Iridium fan ever since......even more so now that globalstars really suck

tm
Old 08-06-2008, 01:26 PM

We tried a Globalstar out in NW Ontario (actually same latitude as Calgary) in 2005, 2006 and 2007. Lets just say that I was seriously thinking smoke signals after those frustrating experiences. Very hard to get a sattelite signal and if you moved 1/1000 of an inch during your call while talking the call was lost. I would say less than 25% of the time we could get a signal to make a call. Not all that good when the main reason for the phone was emergencies as our cabin there is a fly in only show.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:38 PM
guidehunt

Default sat phone

global junk
Old 08-06-2008, 02:12 PM

Iridium all the way. I have used both and like others I have spent up to 30 minutes trying to just get a signal and even then the call didn't necessarily go through. The iridium took 2-3 minutes to get signal and few calls were dropped. The iridium worked well in all conditions (snow, fog, from tent). My husband rented it from the states last year for guiding in the NWT. Good luck.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:05 PM

Most definately Iridium. Globalstar says their satellites won't be fully functional until sometime in '09. The delay is also a bit shorter in the Iridium than the Globalstar, making it a bit easier to talk on also. At work we use the Iridiums from Alberta to the NWT to Russia, and work well in all places. If you still have your heart set on a Globalstar, I may have a couple to sell CHEAP...............
Old 08-06-2008, 08:22 PM

Default no

DO NOT TAKE GLOBAL STAR, GET A IRIDIUM,not beign able to get out and getting cut off is the worst on top of the hills, we use 5 sat phones a year and switched last year to iridium and they are awsome.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:03 PM

Globalstar is useless. When you turn on the phone, you get the message "safety is your first call". Unfortunately, your battery may die well before you are able to get service. I have the minimum airtime package, and that is costing me $720/year. I guess it's time to cancel. My concern is that those Spot Satellite Messengers are using Globalstar's satellites, since they are sending out brochures with their sat phone bills. I emailed SPOT about this, but my email was bounced back as spam. I can see from the above comments, that I am not the only unsatisfied Globalstar customer. I think I'll forward a copy of this thread to Globalstar and see what they have to say.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
Globalstar is useless. When you turn on the phone, you get the message "safety is your first call". Unfortunately, your battery may die well before you are able to get service. I have the minimum airtime package, and that is costing me $720/year. I guess it's time to cancel. My concern is that those Spot Satellite Messengers are using Globalstar's satellites, since they are sending out brochures with their sat phone bills. I emailed SPOT about this, but my email was bounced back as spam. I can see from the above comments, that I am not the only unsatisfied Globalstar customer. I think I'll forward a copy of this thread to Globalstar and see what they have to say.

Or you could do what we did and just call them and tell em that you cant get your calls through and this phone is useless to ya if you cant use it,
They totally agreed and cancelled all bills on our account and we discontinued our service with them until it is fixed, she was fully aware of the problems right now and had no issue at all,clearing it up.

Last edited by gunslinger; 08-06-2008 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
or you could do what we did and just call them adn tell them that you cant get your calls through and this phone is useless to ya if you cant use it, this is what we did and they totally agreed and cancelled all bills on our account and we disontinued our service with them until it is fixed, she was fully aware of the problems right now and had no issue at all...
I guess that's the answer Gunslinger. I'm never billed for extra minutes, because I can rarely get a connection. A big phat refund would be nice.
Anyone want to buy a Globalstar phone, cheap? I only bought the phone for emergencies, but I am constantly trying it to see if I can get service.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:45 PM

Default u bet

Quote:
I guess that's the answer Gunslinger. I'm never billed for extra minutes, because I can rarely get a connection. A big phat refund would be nice.
Anyone want to buy a Globalstar phone, cheap? I only bought the phone for emergencies, but I am constantly trying it to see if I can get service.

and also if you guys are going to buy a iridium then tell them you got a globarstar and you aint gonna use it anymore, iridium will take your phone for 500$, i know its alot less than what we payed for the globalstar but we aint ever using global again.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:26 PM

When I contacted Globalstar about the connection issue , they're ''broken up english'' operator was quick to say that they're problems would soon be fixed and that they would give me 1 free month service.
I kinda laughed .... told them it wasn't a money issue...didn't care about the free month ... just wanted the frigging thing to work when I needed it !!!

Surprised their still in business....
Old 08-07-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
and also if you guys are going to buy a iridium then tell them you got a globarstar and you aint gonna use it anymore, iridium will take your phone for 500$, i know its alot less than what we payed for the globalstar but we aint ever using global again.
I believe Globalstar and Iridium are partnered up some how. Last time I signed a contract for an Iridium, Globalstar was also on the paperwork.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Was actually doing a search on an older thread about those SPOT Satellite Messengers to see how it ended and saw this. A bit disappointing, was really close to buying one of those.