Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2008, 03:58 PM

Angry Lacombe ford sevice

Well, i had to replace a seat cover (stock upholstery) and get an oil change on my new SuperDuty, so i booked the appointment in with lacombe ford to have it done at 11 am today. Told them i would wait, as it SHOULD be a quick job. (i drove out from red deer cause i got suckered by the Tires4life loyalty program) Seen the truck come out of the service bay at 2:40, finally. I then waited till 3:00 until i finally walked up to the girl at the desk and told her my tuck is done, and that i would like to go home now. She rang me through ($110 for the oil change, holy crap!) and i got back on the road at 3:10. Should it really take 4 hours to change out a seat cover and the oil??

So with travel included, i have lost 5 hours of my day. I guess i am not alone, as the constant topic of conversation in the service dept was about ****ed off customers.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:09 PM

holy crap thats nuts i dont know about a seat cover but i can do my own oil in 20-30 minutes and i dont think that a seat cover should take 3-3.5 hours
Old 06-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Banned

110.00 doesn't sound like warranty. Regradless, i would never let a dealership change my oil free or not.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leverboy View Post
110.00 doesn't sound like warranty. Regradless, i would never let a dealership change my oil free or not.
in what world is an oil change ever free?? Regular maintenance is not warantee. Diesel's take lots of oil, by the time you buy the oil, filter your into it for $50.00 or more and then you have to dipose of 13 litres of used oil. The seat had to fixed so why not get the oil done at the same time and save your self the grief of Crawling around underneath the damn truck.For an additional $60.00 bucks it's done for you and no mess to deal with.I don't like working on vehicles and work hard enough day in and day out to be able to afford to let mechanics do their jobs.The point of this post was about the crappy service.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
Should it really take 4 hours to change out a seat cover and the oil??
Short answer YES.

And $110 for an oil change, welcome to the world of diesels. Nothing's cheap not even the fuel.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:03 PM

The seat cover was warranty work, and the oil change was done there because of the "tires 4 life" program, which is only valid if i get all my scheduled maintenance done there. If i stick to it, any new tires needed while i own the truck are free, kinda pays for itself. I have changed more gallons of oil than i care to remember, i understand it is a straightforward process.

Well, new development. The drive from Lacombe to Red Deer resulted in the seat cover loosening (this is the factory upholstery, not an aftermarket cover to protect the upholstery) I suppose it will be another 4 hours to get that dealt with.

Last edited by lilsundance; 06-11-2008 at 11:49 PM. Reason: remove remarks re deleted post
Old 06-11-2008, 06:13 PM

Changing out upholstery is a big job, plus I noticed they booked you just before lunch so not sure who's fault that was, BUT I do know that tech's like to have lunch too so you can add an hour for that. If you don't like waiting around, here's a tip book 1st thing in the morning or 1st thing after lunch. That will cut an hour of wait time out for ya right there.

Last edited by russ; 06-11-2008 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:22 PM

I deal with lacombe ford when I buy tires, they are usually slow, but their tire prices are excellent.

Last edited by lilsundance; 06-11-2008 at 11:50 PM. Reason: remove quote, post was deleted
Old 06-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Nationwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leverboy View Post
I have to agree i would never never let the dealership change my oil my boss his wife went for a oil change and was chareged 95 dollars for a oil change he was ****ed her response was its ok its the dealership they know what they are doing .

I never heard you asked why is it "Taking so long"after the first 2 hours
just a observaton.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:35 PM

Russ, got your PM. No worries.

Nationwide, i did, in fact, go up to the service desk and ask how much longer at about 12:30. He told me he was just bolting the seat back in and then he would get on the oil change, and it would be another hour or so. 2 and a half later, i got my truck back.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:03 PM
-TROUT-

and ya $110 for an oil change is normal for a diesel. I used to work at a kal tire a couple eyars ago..thats the normal price
Old 06-11-2008, 10:06 PM

yeah, i expected the oil change price, just nuts that it costs all most as much as a tank of fuel.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:14 PM
-TROUT-

yeah its horrible....just like everything, prices are riseing
Old 06-12-2008, 02:24 PM

Thumbs up

Dont who you were dealing with,but I just got back from Lacombe Ford.They quoted an hour for warranry work as well an oil change and they were right on time. I have dealt with these guys for years and have never had a complaint about the service
Old 06-12-2008, 08:35 PM

I usually change my oil myself. Cost to me is $5 in fuel, plus $8 for a filter, and $40 for oil (or $66 if synthetic). Takes me about 20 min start to finish plus I get a chance to grease the two nipples and inspect for any leaks myself. Oil is dropped off at Cdn Tire for free. I may spend $18 to have Walmart change the supplied oil and filter i time is short or it's cold out.

Dealership cost was $150 for oil change. They never greased the two grease nipples voiding my warrenty on the tie rods. Had them perform three oil changes never again. They failed to report any of the numerous leaks comming from the underside of the truck, they used the incorrect oil viscosity, almost voiding my warrenty.

When asked they said these trucks dont have any grease nipples, and Diesels cost more for an oil change. They are harder to do. Me and the service manager went out to look at one their little cars in the parking lot. When we popped the hood we couldnt find the oil filter, nor could the tech point out where it was and mumbled these cars are a pain to work on. Cost to change the oil $20 on this car.

We get hauled to the cleaners by the shops because you drive a diesel. Yet for the most part they are easier to work on then other cars and trucks.

As for the wait times, seems everythin gat a dealership takes no less then three hour to do. Including changing a tire.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:59 PM

Just an update. Lacombe Ford had a customer care rep call me and get details of the issue. "They will look into it and get in touch"
Old 06-18-2008, 11:58 AM

Well it looks like my next oil change is free. Good on em to keep me happy!