Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2008, 01:04 AM
Banned

Default Trap Shooting 2008

Well I made it out to the range. Its my first time shooting trap since X-mas in Pheonix.. And I really didnt shoot that much down there. Perhaps 50-75 rounds.

I was all full of excitment as I put my gun back together, as I walked up to the 16 yard line.. It was great!!
Then I dropped 7 out of 25 YUCKKK
The second 25 was much better though I smoked 23/25. and I know on one of those the bird should have broke.

Anyone else on here planning on doing any trap this summer?
My tournaments will be few and far between this summer, as I had to make some promises in order to get to hunt Brown Bear.

I think the one tournament I will be going in will be the Alberta Championship. It will be held here in Calgary.

Jamie
Old 05-17-2008, 07:10 AM

Not going to be shooting any tournamnets this year, but have been getting out almost twice a week since the hew year.
heading out this morning as well.
Gonna shoot my trap and skeet mostly with my 20 this year, still getting to know the gun...
Cat
Old 05-17-2008, 07:28 AM

Planning on busting a lot of clays this summer. My young fellow is turning thirteen and needs to learn before he gets heavy into field hunting.

Been shopping for a left handed autoloader for months for him with no luck. Sellection sure does suck for lefties.

He's been shooting my O/U 20 but I've got the chokes so open I don't believe he's getting any more then over confident and making his old man look bad.

Does any one know if that place by Innisfail is still open? I think it was called Praire Sporting Clays or something like that.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:01 PM

Dont know if I will shoot any trap but I'm going to make sure I get alot more shooting in this year(skeet and sporting). I'm seriously thinking of shooting that 600 bird Canadian Championship thing down in Calgary though so I may have to shoot some bunker to get ready for that.

I just got back from a big shoot in Gold River BC. Was nice to shoot on my old squad again.

MK2750,

I phoned that place in Innisfail when I first moved here last year and she said they havent shot clays there in 7 years. The web site still says they do though????

Heres to having three in your pocket on stand 8. Happy shooting.

Hilgy
Old 05-18-2008, 10:03 PM
Banned

Well this was a interesting weekend at the Calgary AHEIA firearms center.
Saturday was fantastic. Instead of shooting I voluntered to help out with a Birthday party for a group of approx 20 people.
What a rewarding experiance. It's a fantastic feeling to help someone hit there first clay or handel a gun for the first time.
On a bad side note, I got sunburnt so friken badly I wanted to cry. Man.. When will I learn!!
On a great note, it looked like the gentleman who owns lammles had such a great time he was back on Sunday and bought a membership. I enjoyed my time with him.. Good fellow

Sunday I also voluntered to help with the shoot. Let me tell you, I will NEVER NEVER get upset at a scorer again. Thats a tough job. For the most part we have teenage kids helping us out. The Sunburn had me crying all day.

I did manage to sneak in to the singles portion of the tournament. I did fairly well considering I have only shot less than 200 rounds since last fall.
I managed to win my division and ended up with a nice B.Brown print (Framed)

Its nice to be out with all those guys again. But I do want to spend more time helping this year.. Like I said, very rewarding.

The offer is allways open to anyone who wants to come shooting at the club. Just get in touch and we can head out. Even if you have never done it before, all equipment can be supplied.

Jamie
Old 05-20-2008, 05:42 PM

well i joint the youth/ 1st time trap/skeet group in lethbridge... my record it 6 out of 25... my shot gun is full chock... i blam that for when i miss
Old 05-20-2008, 09:36 PM

Going to try to get out a few times a month with my HP9. Not great but it works and its fun

New trap gun is on the wishlist.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:43 PM

Silver Willow Sporting Clays in Carstairs is a great way to spend the afternoon. He will also provide actual birds if you want.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:00 PM

Default Jamie...

Jamie,

I am assuming that the range you are talking about is south west of Calgary near Okotoks. How does a person get started with the club? I used to shoot lots growing up but it has been awhile. I need another hobby so maybe you can help.

Cheers,

Pat
Old 05-23-2008, 12:23 AM
Banned

Pat.
Yes that is the place. Just turn West at the Tee pees, and follow the road.

I would guess that back when you were shooting, it was called the "Calgary Trap and Skeet Club"
A few years back, that organization turned it over to AHEIA (Alberta Hunter Education instructors association)
AHEIA has managed to turn it into a very busy place. In fact they hope to throw over 1,000,000 targets this year. We are open 7 days a week during the summer and open year round on Wed and Sundays.

Your best bet to get involved is to call Gert (Manger, teacher, mentor and all round good guy) He can be reached at 256-0665
Failing that, I would meet you out there and introduce you around. Of course we could shoot at the same time.
I believe membership in AHEIA is $20/year and a gun club membership is $80/year. This of course entitles you to all that AHEIA has to offer. At present, I use the Alford lake range, my wife takes HUGE advantage of the training center in Calgary. (She is a teacher and has managed to talk most of the teachers into taking the kids over there for a course or 2) Its also nice, the AHEIA office is right next door.. Perhaps a 100' or so

I joined for what it could do for me.. I became a life member for what I could do to help. Funny... Its still what it can do for me. I like being involved.

Good people
Great leadership
Fantastic idea

Jamie
Old 05-24-2008, 09:48 PM

Thanks for the information Jamie. I will drive out there on my next day off and sign up.

Cheers,

Pat
Old 05-28-2008, 10:33 PM

whoot i just came home from shooting a round of skeet... a new personaly best 14 or 15 out of 25 can remember... im trying to get out lots so that i am averaging 17 or better... there is a turny on july 5th that i wana go to so i need a lot of practise... i hope on getting out 2 or 3 times a week
Old 05-28-2008, 11:26 PM
Banned

Buck, congrats, and good luck in your shooting.
I dont know why I didnt get involved with Skeet. I was just natuarlly drawn to Trap.
I do like sporting clays though. To bad we do not have a full course down here in the south end.

Jamie
Old 05-29-2008, 02:01 PM

I heard Gert quit.

Jamie I will load you thrower with some special clays...

Hope to see ya out there...
Old 06-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Banned

Trail, I just spoke with Gert..
No word about him quiting.

Jamie
Old 06-04-2008, 11:47 AM

I asked Rob last night and he also said gert is staying.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:05 AM

Hey guys, i was going to start a new thread but though some of you might be watching this one.

I might be moving to the edmonton area and need to find somewhere with a skeet field. What is the closest skeet field around. I'll put machines in if they are empty houses... i just heard Edm gun club has none.

any advice?

thanks.