Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2008, 06:40 AM

Default chain saw

As usual can not remember what the fuel to oil ratio is.Someone stated that you can buy oil in a single packet something like one packet to four litres.Anyone know where you canpurchase these?
Old 05-22-2008, 07:18 AM

Default Chainsaw

Home Hardware, UFA, or any small engine shop.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:21 AM

I bought a pack of the individual bottles and just refill them. Cheaper, faster and you don't always have to guess at the right amount. Makes up 4L at 50/1
Grizz
Old 05-22-2008, 08:56 AM

Check the fuel/oil ratio requirement for your saw.....sometimes it's printed on the saw. 50:1 is typical, some are 40:1. If its not on the saw, google the name brand/model of your chain saw i.e., "stihl 026 fuel oil ratio". Buy 2 cycle oil in litre containers and mix the proper ratio. There is a sight guage on the side of 2 cycle, 1 litre oil containers.......usually.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:57 AM

check at any dealer, but seems to me we use a product called Opti-2 which comes in a small container and can be poured directly into a 22 litre jerry can for your mix. Been using it for years now, and son uses it in his bike as well.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:23 AM

We also use Opti-2. Jugs mostly, but the packs are handy also. It is a more 'enviro friendly' product that only needs to be mixed at a 100:1 ratio.

I also like to keep my mixed gas in the yellow jugs in order to easily differentiat it from straight gas (learned that lesson the HARD way! ). I will then take a sharpie and write down the EXACT number of milliters of mix required on the side of it. I haven't exactly had the 'sharpest' guys work for me over the years, and 7-8 small engines improperly fueled can get real expensive, real fast!

Tree
Old 05-22-2008, 11:23 AM

I agree with the opti 2 oil used it for years. saws work much better on the synthetic opti than on reg 2 stroke oil. You might have to adjust your carb mixture screws a bit .
Old 05-22-2008, 01:32 PM

Opti-2 most commonly found at husqvarna dealers, I use it with all my fuel mixtures, Much handier than having four different fuel cans. One mix works for all.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:36 PM

Do I understand correctly,
Regardless of the saw the mix with Opti-2 is 100:1
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 05-22-2008, 02:02 PM

I tried the Opti and didn't like it. Too lean a mixture, if you do it like it says.
Besides....I have about 6 gallons of oil for my boat that is TCW3 rated. So I mix what each engine calls for.
Just the way I do it.....
Old 05-22-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoKilo View Post
That is what my mechanic up here tells me is correct as well. We run husqs for everything that honda doesn't make and they work. Takes a little getting used to get over the "uuuuu...is that it" phase

tm
Old 05-22-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
We also use Opti-2. Jugs mostly, but the packs are handy also. It is a more 'enviro friendly' product that only needs to be mixed at a 100:1 ratio.

I also like to keep my mixed gas in the yellow jugs in order to easily differentiat it from straight gas (learned that lesson the HARD way! ). I will then take a sharpie and write down the EXACT number of milliters of mix required on the side of it. I haven't exactly had the 'sharpest' guys work for me over the years, and 7-8 small engines improperly fueled can get real expensive, real fast!

Tree
I used a hot glue gun to write "straight" or "50:1" right on the red tank. I need the yellow for my diesel tractor... This lets me be just a little more organized...
Old 05-22-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post
I used a hot glue gun to write "straight" or "50:1" right on the red tank. I need the yellow for my diesel tractor... This lets me be just a little more organized...
For sure. I don't run anything diesel, so that's why I use the yellow, but whatever works for you is great.

I've lost 7 saws and 2 brand new backpack Stihl blowers on two different occasions from being loaded up with the straight gas. The worst ever was losing a 4 month old Stihl 200ms 'top handle' after lowering it down to be fuelled. I couldda SCREAMED................oh yeah, I DID!

I'm generally stuck having to hire 18-22 year old city kids/university students who have no idea what a carb is ("yeah man, big macs have tons of carbs..."), and in their world, a throttle is what I do to 'em when they inevitably screw something up.

Tree
Old 05-23-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoKilo View Post
U bet! Never had a problem and alot less smoke.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:03 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
For sure. I don't run anything diesel, so that's why I use the yellow, but whatever works for you is great.

I've lost 7 saws and 2 brand new backpack Stihl blowers on two different occasions from being loaded up with the straight gas. The worst ever was losing a 4 month old Stihl 200ms 'top handle' after lowering it down to be fuelled. I couldda SCREAMED................oh yeah, I DID!

I'm generally stuck having to hire 18-22 year old city kids/university students who have no idea what a carb is ("yeah man, big macs have tons of carbs..."), and in their world, a throttle is what I do to 'em when they inevitably screw something up.

Tree

After many years of landscaping, and many gas powered boat anchors, as a result of straight gas, I finally ran everything on mixed gas. It didn't seem to affect the "straight "gas equipment, but put a stop to the burnouts.
Well not the burnouts I had working for me I hear you on some help not having a clue. If we were putting down sod, I had to constantly remind them "GREEN SIDE UP!!!" I finally had to cut out coffee breaks, it was too hard to retrain some of them.

No offence to anyone, but why is it so hard to find good landscape help, roofers, carpet layers, painters or farriers.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-24-2008, 09:39 PM

Default optimal

Optimal, one mix for all 2 cycle ratios, no smoke either
Been running my saw on it since new. 20 years?
Old 05-24-2008, 10:53 PM
Banned

Default optimol

Is anyone running Optimol in their sleds.. My Skandic 550 sure smokes when started..