Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-01-2008, 07:51 PM

Default bear Pepper spray

Does anyone know for sure how long the cannisters are good for. Has anyone tried to discharge a cannister and it failed to discharge. Somehow I do not trust that the cannister will work when I want them to.:
Old 05-01-2008, 08:04 PM

My buddy had an old one in his truck a while ago, and with 4 of us in his extended cab, he sprayed it out the window to make sure it still worked. well the wind shifted. You can guess what happened next.
Oh to be 17 again...........
Old 05-01-2008, 08:17 PM

i had a group of scouts do the same thing......nasty stuff
Old 05-01-2008, 08:33 PM

There's an expiry date printed on the cannister. Had a couple cannisters expiry late fall and decided to use them for target practice, right after we shot them we walked over and the pepper spray was still in the air, didn't notice any burning to the eyes so we are going to make sure our cannisters are up to date.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:46 PM

Artie,
I have been carrying bear spray for several years now. I never had to use it (and hope I never will) but I do trust it will work if need be.

There is an expiry date on the bottom of every can. The expiry date is there to protect you and the manufacturer but I'm sure it would be quite effective past the given date. There have been many field tests done using bear spray and the experts say it is proven to deter bear attacks providing it is used correctly. You can buy it in different sizes, with strengths as strong as 2% Capsaicin in the States. Health Canada will only allow 1% here.
I have fired off expired cans of this stuff and it was still very potent. Always make sure you shoot down wind because it could capacitate the user. Recently I was experimenting with an expired can. Later that day my eye started burning and I had to get to the river real quick to flush. I accidently got the stuff on my finger without realizing it and rubbed it into my eye. My eye remained red and sore for the rest of the day.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:24 PM

Default spray more effective than guns

Interesting article that bear spray is more effective than a gun in a bear attack

go to CBC.ca then search spray more effective than guns against bears
Old 05-23-2008, 12:42 PM

I have had to use it on several occassion all successfully including a grizz in the Yukon.

The expiration date is not for the potency of the contents but for the propellant. I have fired off many cans of expired spray and all worked but I wouldn't trust them in the field.

Broke one can in a storage facility took almopst 2 weeks for it to clear enough to go in without a respirator.

Kevin
Old 05-23-2008, 04:26 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2...bearspray.html
Old 05-23-2008, 04:56 PM

Default Expiry date

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsArcher View Post
I have had to use it on several occassion all successfully including a grizz in the Yukon.

The expiration date is not for the potency of the contents but for the propellant. I have fired off many cans of expired spray and all worked but I wouldn't trust them in the field.

Broke one can in a storage facility took almopst 2 weeks for it to clear enough to go in without a respirator.

Kevin
I agree with Mathewsarcher, The spray may work after the expiry date, but I wouldn't bet on it. I had an expired can I thought would be good for "practice"... there was absolutely no propellant left at all. I still buy and carry this stuff, but I'm a bit skeptical on it's effectiveness with any wind at all, after practicing with a couple new cans... not quite the shot pattern I would want.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuc View Post
Artie,
Always make sure you shoot down wind because it could capacitate the user.
Here we go.... As a hunter I tend to sneak around with the wind in my face if I can help it. In the mountains, when looking for sheep, many a time the wind is a tad more than a simple breeze.

Guess where all that pepper spray is going to end up, if I have to use it on a startled bear that didn't smell me coming.

I'm not a big fan of pepper spray. But despite that I was thinking of starting to carry one. Shooting one, even if self defense, seems to land you in very hot water.

Frans
Old 05-23-2008, 05:46 PM
-TROUT-

a real smart guy sprayed a can in a real small shed 2 days ago while me and him were in it, just about ended up in the hospital due to having a real hard time breathing and face swelling.......but id still prefer a gun, what if you spray the bear and tick it off instead of scaring it away?
Old 05-23-2008, 07:38 PM

Frans, you make a good point there. Carrying it would still improve your chances, I think you are talking worst case scenerio.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:08 PM

Yep, worst case scenario... but a plausible one.

Frans
Old 05-23-2008, 08:14 PM

Default Worst Case Scenario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuc View Post
Frans, you make a good point there. Carrying it would still improve your chances, I think you are talking worst case scenerio.
Hey Tuc, do you mean worst case scenario, like running into a bear and needing a defense, or worst case scenario like the wind blowing in the mountains? I was really surprised how a slight breeze made a drastic difference on the spray. From my bit of testing, when I sprayed at a tree about the distance too close for comfort, the spray never even came close when spraying across the wind. When spraying with the wind it worked almost as well as I would expect, but it was a real eye opener knowing how close the bear would have to be.

Like you said, it still would improve your chances, but it's worth the $40 to practice how far the spray doesn't go.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:32 PM

As far as the expiry date goes , I've tested cans that were expired 5 years earlier and they tested good. Or at least appeared ok, as I couldn't recall the difference from brand new.

If nothing else it gives you a sense of protection you don't have otherwise.

Whether it will effectively work on a charging p''''d grizzly or a starving black bear is probably a good debate in it's self.

Having said that , if you really feel that you need it for protection I would suggest having a fresh can on hand.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsArcher View Post
We have had many debates here about spray versus guns, mostly argued by people who have had experience with neither (myself included). Kevin, I'd be REALLy interested to hear about your experiences using the spray.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Hey Tuc, do you mean worst case scenario, like running into a bear and needing a defense, or worst case scenario like the wind blowing in the mountains?
Worst case scenario in Fran's post ....
Quote:
In the mountains, when looking for sheep, many a time the wind is a tad more than a simple breeze.
Guess where all that pepper spray is going to end up,