Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-25-2011, 06:53 PM

Default Bad winchester supreme ammo?

Just got back from wholesale And bought 2 boxes of 160gr accubond winchester supreme ammo. Got home to check them out and a bunch of the tips (3-4 per box) had fallen off, and there seems to be some excess jacket material around where the bullet meets the neck. Most comes off with my nail, but still has me worried. I will try to get some pictures up in a bit but what would you guys do? Ammo is final sale at WSS, so next step is email winchester? Thanks for your help.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colour86 View Post
Just got back from wholesale And bought 2 boxes of 160gr accubond winchester supreme ammo. Got home to check them out and a bunch of the tips (3-4 per box) had fallen off, and there seems to be some excess jacket material around where the bullet meets the neck. Most comes off with my nail, but still has me worried. I will try to get some pictures up in a bit but what would you guys do? Ammo is final sale at WSS, so next step is email winchester? Thanks for your help.
there is a post on CGN site about bad winchester ammo 30-06, 270 some have ruptured primers. http://http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=621709
Old 06-25-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmit9 View Post
there is a post on CGN site about bad winchester ammo 30-06, 270 some have ruptured primers. http://http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=621709
Why do you guys assume that everyone is a member at CGN??

Quote:
You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
Old 06-25-2011, 07:37 PM

Ya not a member. Primers look good, but it is just giving me a bad gut feeling. I dont want to be out 100 bucks for ammo either though.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJ View Post
didn't say you were just thought the post there had more info about bad winchester ammo.

or in your opinion i shouldn't share any info from CGN on here?????

here is part of his post for those who are not on CGN.
a box of 270 Winchester 130gr silver box super-x ammunition. They seemed to fire well enough but upon cleaning the rifle at home I noticed that there is now a deep etching around where the primer is on my bolt face!!!

Examining the brass reveals that three out of the 20 rounds had ruptured primers!
Old 06-25-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmit9 View Post
didn't say you were just thought the post there had more info about bad winchester ammo.

or in your opinion i shouldn't share any info from CGN on here?????

here is part of his post for those who are not on CGN.
a box of 270 Winchester 130gr silver box super-x ammunition. They seemed to fire well enough but upon cleaning the rifle at home I noticed that there is now a deep etching around where the primer is on my bolt face!!!

Examining the brass reveals that three out of the 20 rounds had ruptured primers!
Share all you want and I'm glad that you did the copy/paste thing..that's way better than posting a link that not everyone can see.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:52 PM

here are some pictures. the cases seem to have little dents/dings on them too. think this is safe to shoot? im guessing no. anyone have a email address for winchester customer service or a way to contact them? i have been looking and they seem to keep emails and numbers private lol.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Dude, everyone IS a member at CGN.

I talked to Petra earlier and she suggested a different outcome.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:01 PM

go back to whole sale final sale or not that's garbage and a good loud yelling will get it changed out.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonka View Post
go back to whole sale final sale or not that's garbage and a good loud yelling will get it changed out.
X2 its not your fault that they are selling junk. Don't take no for an answer. Just ask for the manager the girl at customer service is not the right one to yell at.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchardy1972 View Post
X2 its not your fault that they are selling junk. Don't take no for an answer. Just ask for the manager the girl at customer service is not the right one to yell at.
correct never yell at the poor cashier but that damn manager well hes paid to take crap.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:39 PM

Went to WSS and they actually fixed it. Looked at them all and were as surprised as i was. They took a few more boxes off the shelf and they were the same. Only the 160gr though. I got a straight trade for a few boxes of the 140gr and im happy. All tips are in place and cases are fine. Still a bit of material around where the bullet seated but it comes off with my nail. Guys at WSS were actually great to deal with over this.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:41 PM

Good to hear. Enjoy your shoot.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:14 PM

Quick question. On the second picture i posted you could see the material between the bullet and case. Is that a cause for any concern? Just making sure.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:41 PM
grind stone

Exclamation return them

Quote:
Share all you want and I'm glad that you did the copy/paste thing..that's way better than posting a link that not everyone can see.
x2 well said i am not a member Either .

Quote:
Dude, everyone IS a member at CGN.
no not true

Quote:
tonka go back to whole sale final sale or not that's garbage and a good loud yelling will get it changed out.
Good advice on so many levels wss should know the product they are selling is not up to par and that ammo doesn’t look good or safe .Good luck thanks for the heads up
Old 06-26-2011, 09:55 PM

I would have just e-mailed Winchester and got a bunch of ass kissing paraphernalia..

my friend did that and they sent him a case of ammo.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:14 PM

I've noticed that all of their lobolox coated ammo is like that. There's tons of weird material between the bullet and the case. It's very strange. Winchester has ridiculous quality control. Avoid at all costs.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
+1, go back and ask for refund, or at lease for exchang....you paid for Premium ammo, but not this garbage.....
Old 06-27-2011, 01:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage shooter View Post
I've noticed that all of their lobolox coated ammo is like that. There's tons of weird material between the bullet and the case. It's very strange. Winchester has ridiculous quality control. Avoid at all costs.
ya i have seen some pretty ****ty looking wichester bullets to, i usually buy cheap ammo and get the fedral powershock they havn't let me down so far.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
And you wonder why you get poor service at these places.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thredneck View Post
And you wonder why you get poor service at these places.
X2

I get better results with honey than vinegar.....simple reason why ammo is final sale. For safety, integrity, and quality control.

.....but there are exceptions and I have seen 2 cases where WSS fixed them against their own policy. One the guy claimed to have been handed the incorrect ammo, .300WM vs .300WSM really his fault....but they exchanged them, another a guy opened the box and found 2 primers seated wrong...also got an exchange.

I think the issue you had with the ammo and getting an exchange is a reasonable request.....opening a box and seeing purple ballistic tips instead of red is not (yes I saw a guy want to exchange ammo over this). Opening a box and shooting 3 and they don't go where you expect and you want a refund? (yes I also witnessed this).....

one thing people have to realize when it comes to hunting and fishing stores and it is no excuse for bad service.....but you should see the types of people and things these guys have to deal with....its not worth $100 bucks an hour, and trust me they do it for alot less.

My Father was involved in the retail gun sales business for most of his life.....the stories he could tell!

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 06-27-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:49 PM

I think we all know to start nice but there is nothing wrong with tearing a strip of them if they wont help.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:53 PM

When i buy ammo at the WSS in calgary, the sales guy open the box, pulls a couple rounds out, and then hands them to me. Every guy, every time, even 22 bulk, and they look though the plastic on 17 ammo.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:02 PM

Default Now thats a hollow point!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colour86 View Post
Looks like it would put a right good smack down of hurt!
Old 06-28-2011, 05:19 PM

^^^^ Of course, the ballistic tips and accubonds are always like that. The plastic tip pushed down to help it spread out even faster. The accubonds are deadly!