Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-12-2018, 08:37 AM

Default Bow River

Tried to search up past threads about the Bow River, and I have come across a few helpful ones, but the search function wont search for "bow" as its too common or short, making it difficult to find solid posts.

Anyone willing to point a Bow River newbie in the right direction? I've got all the appropriate gear except waders, and I will be spin, not fly fishing. Driving down from the Edmonton area over the next week or two to visit a friend, and I would like to get into a couple of fish. I dont mind driving a little bit out of town, meeting up with someone, or taking advice. If there is anyone willing to show me a spot or two or point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated! Feel free to PM me if you dont want to share your info for the world to see.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:06 AM

The Bow is getting a bit muddy as local runoff is finally starting, though a spinning rig is less hampered than a fly rod. I would think slow and deep holes are the first place to start, but if you have a warm day I could see them moving into some faster water. Check the regulations for closures but iirc the bow upstream from the water diversion is closed BUT check . In town there is a ton of access, google maps is your friend. There is a deep run by the douglassdale bridge the should be a spin fishers dream. It will take a ¼ or 3/8 oz jig to get down to the strike zone there and it might take a warm day too since the river narrows down .
Old 04-12-2018, 10:25 AM

Bow River regulations:
From Banff park boundary to Bassano dam...open all year, catch and release, bait ban
Old 04-12-2018, 02:10 PM

See check the regs! Since I got the dog (5 Years) my evenings are spent walking the dog and not fishing, when did that change.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:01 PM

thanks for all the info so far! Ive had plenty of messages and lots of good info!
Old 04-15-2018, 08:19 AM

Not to rain on your parade, but I wouldn’t get your hopes to high on getting into fish on the Bow with only a couple days.
You might find them and catch dozens, but more often then not the Bow leaves you cursing and scratching your head. The Trout in the Bow all have their PHD’s from the UofC I think. One false move and it’s just you and the beavers.
FYI you can use flies with a spin rod and the right line. A couple tips. Be a ninja even approaching the water. Enjoy the fishing, even without catching. Seriously consider a guide if your determined to catch and learn a go to spot and method.
You might target some whites, their a little easier and stack up in bigger groups. And come back during run-off.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:29 AM

one inch 5 o'diamonds, yellow with red diamonds, brass spinners too, keep it higher up in the flow. look for long tall ripples followed by flat water. will send a few spots in PM later. murky water on a sunny day produces well.