Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-20-2013, 07:47 AM

Well call this CN,
Cause this thread has got DERAILED!

Some great pics tho, thanks for sharing!
Glad to see the population is thriving and that its just my poor luck/skill and not dwindling numbers as feared!
Old 10-20-2013, 05:24 PM

1000 Yards:

Not neccesarily...

I finally found that old picture I had of a big non typical jackalope I got by Fort MacMurray. I was driving along in my zircron encrusted Ram pickup(gleaming in the moonlighty night) and noticed about 400 yards away there was critter drinking at a pond. I got my reading glasses out and sure enough it was a big 'lope just a licking up that slough water. And to my surprise it was the even more elusive non typical jackalope.

Well luckily this was a couple of years ago when you didn't need a licence or a draw to hunt lope. I had my trusty 1902 stevens single shot open sighted .177 caliber pellet rifle in the truck so I got out, stood on the roof of my truck. Cracked the barrel and put in the pellet. I didn't want to get any closer and spook or rile up the beast so I took the shot and he fell with out a flinch. I paced it out at 395 yards. Never did get him scored.

I think that south country doesn't have any lopes left. Try Ft. Mac for jackalope. I am not sure why but the area seems to produce alot of non typical jackalopes.
Go north where they haven't been shot up as much yet. A few days ago you mentioned 'no rainbow for reference'. Up around Ft. Mac there is always a few rainbows for reference. But the rainbows are on the water, not in the sky.

I think I know why you are having such a hard time connecting on getting a poke on a 'lope....

You forgot the password! Yikes!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg normal_jackalope_03.jpg (27.7 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Red Bullets; 10-20-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
Well, I haven't told anyone about this yet...but we have one in captivity. It is already 450 pounds!

We haven't told him about the critter or he would likely get mad and expect us to give him at least half when we butcher it later.

Don't be too quick to get the jackalope butchered. It may be worth more if you break it for the saddle. A good mount for the great gopher roundup every year down in Bugtussel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JackalopeHistory3.jpg (28.2 KB, 24 views)
Old 10-21-2013, 10:39 PM

Found this one while sitting in a cut block facing NSW.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (72.0 KB, 17 views)

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel