Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-16-2018, 04:53 PM

Default Old Eskimo Ice auger question.

A few weeks back I traded a case of beer for an old Eskimo power auger. Its got a red 49cc Tecumseh engine with almost no plastic parts and an 8" auger with shark decal on it. Today I installed a carb kit and she runs like a champ.

The oil/ fuel mixture stamped on the power head however is 1:24, I fired it up on the same 1:50 mix I use in my other 2 strokes and it ran nicely. Just wondering what mix other guys are running in these old augers, with modern oils does one still need to mix so rich?

As well I'm wondering what sort of replacement blades I can use on this auger? The blade configuration looks a bit different to me than the newer Eskimo augers.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:36 PM

If the blades are more triangular shaped they are called turbocut blades and you can still order them I believe. If they aren't turbocut or quantum blades then good luck.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:35 PM

I have an old jiffy from the 70s that originally recommended the 24:1 ratio but with improvements of oil they now recommend a 40:1 mixture. Add a little seafoam in to keep it clean. Its a tecumseh engine as well so probably very similar.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:52 PM

I have an old Strikemaster Magnum III Plus with the 49cc Tecumseh. I run premium gas at 50:1 and haven't had a problem since I've owned it (3 seasons).
Old 04-16-2018, 07:30 PM

Thanks guys, that's more or less what I thought.

Just another question... what do you guys think of running a 10" auger on this powerhead? I have a similar engine on an older Jiffy and I know it wont run a 10"... but the Eskimo is geared far lower and seems like it would have enough torque.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Thanks guys, that's more or less what I thought.

Just another question... what do you guys think of running a 10" auger on this powerhead? I have a similar engine on an older Jiffy and I know it wont run a 10"... but the Eskimo is geared far lower and seems like it would have enough torque.

What horse power is your older jiffy?? My Jiffy is a 3HP 2 Stroke and I run a 8 inch and a 10 inch with out issue. Sure is a lot more ice to chew through with the 10inch but nice to have on days targeting big pike.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookset View Post
What horse power is your older jiffy?? My Jiffy is a 3HP 2 Stroke and I run a 8 inch and a 10 inch with out issue. Sure is a lot more ice to chew through with the 10inch but nice to have on days targeting big pike.
I think the Jiffy is a 2hp. Its got a 49cc Tecumseh on it but it must be a generation or so newer than the Eskimo, way more plastic. That Jiffy is my favorite auger, its pretty light, it spins the blade at Mach 3 and just chews through the ice. However with that high gear ratio I don't think its got the torque to turn a bigger auger.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
If the blades are more triangular shaped they are called turbocut blades and you can still order them I believe. If they aren't turbocut or quantum blades then good luck.
The blade is not a turbo cut blade, it resembles the quantum blades but there is only one and it seems to be mounted at a much steeper angle.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
The blade is not a turbo cut blade, it resembles the quantum blades but there is only one and it seems to be mounted at a much steeper angle.
Is it one of these?

https://www.lawnmowerhosp.com/produc...-barracuda-461

Might just be a regular quantum blade. You are better off taking a picture and contacting Eskimo or lawnmower hospital, they will be able to confirm replacement availability(or take your blade off and go compare it in store to a quantum blade).
Old 04-17-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Is it one of these?

https://www.lawnmowerhosp.com/produc...-barracuda-461

Might just be a regular quantum blade. You are better off taking a picture and contacting Eskimo or lawnmower hospital, they will be able to confirm replacement availability(or take your blade off and go compare it in store to a quantum blade).
Thanks, it does look like a quantum blade, just mounted at a steeper angle. I touched up the blade with a file today and tried cutting some holes. The blade seems to be cutting good now, but the ice is pretty soft so its hard to tell. It doesn't cut so fast as my Jiffy, but it starts nicer... and I really do think it would do OK with a 10" blade. Gonna have to borrow a 10" bit off someone next year and try it. At under $60 its going to make a good spare.

Thanks for the help AO, I knew I'd find all the answeres here.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Thanks, it does look like a quantum blade, just mounted at a steeper angle. I touched up the blade with a file today and tried cutting some holes. The blade seems to be cutting good now, but the ice is pretty soft so its hard to tell. It doesn't cut so fast as my Jiffy, but it starts nicer... and I really do think it would do OK with a 10" blade. Gonna have to borrow a 10" bit off someone next year and try it. At under $60 its going to make a good spare.

Thanks for the help AO, I knew I'd find all the answeres here.

I have an Eskimo 10" lower leg with blades you can borrow.

Give me a call when your in town next time
Old 04-19-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
I have an Eskimo 10" lower leg with blades you can borrow.

Give me a call when your in town next time
What town is that?
Old 04-19-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
What town is that?
PM Sent