Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-09-2018, 09:03 AM

Default Braided/Mono/Flouro

What's your preference on the NSR? I have been using mono/flouro for years. But the thought of better sensitivity using braid makes a lot of sense.
What color/brand do you use? Is a mono/flouro leader necessary? If so how do you attach?
Old 04-09-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strikemaster View Post
What's your preference on the NSR? I have been using mono/flouro for years. But the thought of better sensitivity using braid makes a lot of sense.
What color/brand do you use? Is a mono/flouro leader necessary? If so how do you attach?
I use mono or flouro down on the NSR as it tends to shed the detritus that comes down stream much better than braid. I found with braid you would end up with huge clumps of crap stuck to the line mush more so than with the monofilaments.

You can choose to attach the flouro leader to mono by either FG/ impoved Albright knot or with a swivel. My preferred method is with a swivel as it is usually a bit stronger and can help with line twists some.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:01 AM

20lb braid with an FG knot to 8-15lb flouro. I used to use swivels attaching them, but now I just use a swivel if the lure is prone to twisting, but usually I use lures that dont spring (jigs or rapalas).
Old 04-09-2018, 10:35 AM

The Fishin Hole have their April re spool event on (50% off). Is this a good deal or is it still better to buy your own spools? Cheers!
Old 04-09-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
The Fishin Hole have their April re spool event on (50% off). Is this a good deal or is it still better to buy your own spools? Cheers!
If they have the line you want it is a good deal. They only have a few select lines in bulk though.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Even at regular price it is often a better deal then buying your own spools. At 50% off they are losing money on this line but it gets people in the door. While you are there pick up some spring fishing gear and support the service you are getting.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Far better. You'd be looking at an average of $2-$3 to get a reel spooled with mono. The line winder also does a good job of spooling the line tightly.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:33 PM

Thanks for the info all!
Are the different colors options there for different types of waters?
Old 04-09-2018, 04:05 PM

10-20lb ghost colour Sufix 832 Braid

Double uni knot to

10-15lb maxima fluorocarbon
Old 04-09-2018, 04:22 PM

I do a 20lb PowerPro braid (green) with a slip sinker rig. 17lb fluoro (17lb is what I happened to have on hand, no reason for it to be so specific), and breakaway 8lb mono to my pyramid sinker.

In terms of what line to use, do some research online. I don't mean to be rude whatsoever, but reading a few pages online will go a long way! So much information out there
Old 04-09-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info all!
Are the different colors options there for different types of waters?
Colours fall into two categories. High visibility (yellow, red) which allow you to see your line easily which can be beneficial in certain situations and low visibility (green, blue, brown) which are meant to camouflage the line into surroundings.

Ultimately colour isn't that important. I have used pretty much every colour there is and it all catches fish. If you are worried about the fish seeing your line then a fluoro leader is far more important then your line colour.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
I use mono or flouro down on the NSR as it tends to shed the detritus that comes down stream much better than braid. I found with braid you would end up with huge clumps of crap stuck to the line mush more so than with the monofilaments.
I've found the opposite to be true when trolling with braid vs mono.

I troll primarily with 10/4 Fireline or 15/4 Power Pro for a few reasons (increased depth per ft of line out, easier to read lures, etc...) but one of the biggest advantages is that a quick snap or two of the rod will cut through any surface weeds or other junk that fouls up my lines and get things back to running clean without having to reel in every time. Mono is thicker, "duller", and with the stretch, won't snap tight, so it doesn't cut the weeds, and they just pile up.

I love the Power Pro Super Slick in 10lb for the majority of my fishing. I use either the timber brown or the the high visibility yellow is really nice when fishing a jig. Knot strength is excellent, it's nearly indestructible, and it's super smooth casting with no "singing" through the guides. I always use a fluorocarbon leader either tied direct or with a small barrel swivel depending on application. I don't know if it's necessary all the time, but it gives me peace of mind.

Last edited by Walleyedude; 04-10-2018 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
I've found the opposite to be true when trolling with braid vs mono.

I troll primarily with 10/4 Fireline or 15/4 Power Pro for a few reasons (increased depth per ft of line out, easier to read lures, etc...) but one of the biggest advantages is that a quick snap or two of the rod will cut through any surface weeds or other junk that fouls up my lines and get things back to running clean without having to reel in every time. Mono is thicker, "duller", and with the stretch, won't snap tight, so it doesn't cut the weeds, and they just pile up.

I love the Power Pro Super Slick in 10lb for the majority of my fishing. I use either the timber brown or the the high visibility yellow is really nice when fishing a jig. Knot strength is excellent, it's nearly indestructible, and it's super smooth casting with no "singing" through the guides. I always use a fluorocarbon leader either tied direct or with a small barrel swivel depending on application. I don't know if it's necessary all the time, but it gives me peace of mind.
Use the same for trolling as you for basically the same reasons.

I guess I should have been more specific. I use Mono or Flouro down on the river when bottom fishing as it captures and holds less detritus than braid. When bottom fishing at the NSR river, given the angles involved, a quick snap with the braid does not cut the detritus so I have found it better to use a line that does not capture as much of it in the first place.
Now if I were fishing faster current than the NSR the braid might work beer. It might work better also if one fished with the line mostly down stream as the cutting angle would better then. I have however not found this practical where I fish.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:14 PM

15lb Suffix 832 braid with a 15-30lb fluoro leader. I'm finding it really effective with all species (haven't caught a sturgeon yet) in the NSR.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:38 PM

Thanks for all the great info guys! On the NSR what length of leader do you use? Looking on line opinions vary greatly from 1’ to 2x rod length.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the great info guys! On the NSR what length of leader do you use? Looking on line opinions vary greatly from 1’ to 2x rod length.
Leader length depends on how important you think line visibility is. This depends on the species you are targeting, some species like say trout can be line shy whereas others like sturgeon will bite heavy nylon braid and pike will bite steel leaders. It also depends on the water since if the water is super clear the fish might be able to see 20+ feet or if it is murky they might only be able to see 2-3 feet.

Having a shorter leader is advantageous in that line to leader knot doesn't have to come through your guides when you catch a fish. This means you can get away with bulkier knots instead of having to rely on say the FG knot which is trickier to tie and can be less dependable(especially when learning to tie it).

On the NSR you are usually targeting fish that are not super line shy and the water is usually murky. There is no reason to have a long leader imo but I also wouldn't tie on a super short leader either (kind of defeats the purpose plus you need long enough leader to account for tying on new lures).

For most of my fishing I usually tie on around 6 ft of leader and change it out once I get down to around 3 ft. That is what I would recommend doing.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:17 PM

I use 20lb power pro green on the NSR with either a 12” 30# steel leader if it’s murky or a 24” 20# floro leader attached with a barrel swivel if it’s clear water conditions.

I hate casting a line with a knot going through the eyelets, it just doesn’t feel right to me.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Colours fall into two categories. High visibility (yellow, red) which allow you to see your line easily which can be beneficial in certain situations and low visibility (green, blue, brown) which are meant to camouflage the line into surroundings.

Ultimately colour isn't that important. I have used pretty much every colour there is and it all catches fish. If you are worried about the fish seeing your line then a fluoro leader is far more important then your line colour.
Stumbled on this video and it does a good job of visualizing/understanding my comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds-yqvoejis
Old 04-16-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post

You can choose to attach the flouro leader to mono by either FG/ impoved Albright knot or with a swivel. My preferred method is with a swivel as it is usually a bit stronger and can help with line twists some.
This! If you've got crap in the water braid is a real nuisance! Last year I tossed a line into the Athabasca after a good rainstorm... took me about a half hour to reel it in The clumps of vegetation kept plugging my rod guides up solid until I physically could not get line to slide through them!