Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-10-2016, 12:41 PM

Default 6.4L hemi - Good or bad?

I know this engine is fairly new to the Ram line up.
I'm considering trying one out in a 2500.
Any feedback good or bad?

Cheers
MG.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:28 PM

I have about 30000km on my 2015 6.4 now. I average about 14-16L/100KM with a mix of highway and city driving. I jumped up from a 2006 half ton 5.7 and it got about the same mileage as the new one does so I am happy with that. I pull anywhere from 6000-10000lbs. Mostly shorter distances but a few longer ones. Mileage is terrible when pulling but all gas engines are. Power is decent. You will still feel what ever you are pulling on hills etc. High RPM to keep it up to speed on hills when pulling. Overall I am happy with it. It has done everything iv asked of it with relative ease. Smooth ride compared to the older (2013) 3/4 ton rams. If your not towing id prob stick with the 5.7 hemi. If your towing lots and over 10000lbs I would maybe consider getting the 4:10 rear end or diesel. I have the 3:73 in mine.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:04 PM

I have a 2014 with 95,000 km on it.

To echo B-Rad, mine gets the same mileage my 2012 5.7 hemi half ton got, and tows decently. I also have the 3.73 gears. My fifth wheel is an older 24 foot long unit and this thing is totally fine pulling it. On a couple trips to Kootenay Plains last summer I was passing diesels going up hills, although there are lots of morons that have no business running a crazy carpet much less an RV on that stretch of road.

If I tow B train I do feel the weight a bit more, but I think you would no matter what. I don't own a diesel for comparison but obviously the torque rating of a diesel would have the advantage for towing. On the flip side, my maintenance cost is quite a bit lower than a diesel.

I also have the 3.73 gears and for running around the patch it is great, but when I am towing I do wish I had the 4.10's instead.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:03 PM

Thanks.
I'm thinking I would go with the 410's. My trailer is around 8500.
I don't expect it to perform like my diesel for pulling.
But I probably only pull for about 3k km's / year so I think I could live with it.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:58 AM

i have a 2014 2500 6.4l and love the truck they have a couple issues right now
1 front track bar frame mount can crack repair is available in the states but not in canada yet
2 the muffler has a flapper valve some have found a weld that prevents it from opening fully causing reduced power and gas mileage
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=205401
Old 02-12-2016, 03:23 PM

I company I work for bought some ram5500 with the 6.4l for crew trucks and everyone that drives them say they are gutless. and within the first 5000km both units has new engines put in. im not sure it was just a one off but it doesn't inspire to much confidence in that engine for myself.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmit9 View Post
i have a 2014 2500 6.4l and love the truck they have a couple issues right now
1 front track bar frame mount can crack repair is available in the states but not in canada yet
2 the muffler has a flapper valve some have found a weld that prevents it from opening fully causing reduced power and gas mileage
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=205401
track bar mount cracking is not on many trucks and chrysler sends a weld team from the factory to repair it if a crack is found, they were welding the mount on manually , now a robot does it .
Old 02-12-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodyGil View Post
I company I work for bought some ram5500 with the 6.4l for crew trucks and everyone that drives them say they are gutless. and within the first 5000km both units has new engines put in. im not sure it was just a one off but it doesn't inspire to much confidence in that engine for myself.
first batch of engines some had wrist pins from a 5.7l , they rattle bad so those got full engine replacements. thats the draw back of the first out i guess, i learned that in 09 with the first new style half ton i bought , it had 30 something recalls and rrt's , lucky i work there so i did them all myself and got paid for it.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:22 AM

I got a 15 power wagon. Love the 6.4 gets as good and better mileage on the highway than my 12 Silverado did with the 5.3
Old 02-17-2016, 09:05 AM

i'd first ask myself.........why would i want a gas guzzler hemi over the awesome truck i now have?
Old 02-17-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laker View Post
i'd first ask myself.........why would i want a gas guzzler hemi over the awesome truck i now have?
I would answer myself with...... I have a diesel with under 100k that is going on 7 years old. It has been a good girl, but it is a diesel and it's warranty has long since lapsed.
Also, since this girl is going on 7 years old, and is a dodge , I know her skin will soon start to get old....and her value will start to drop significantly.
The fact that she is still good...still has good skin and our neighbors to the south are paying top dollar for her....I think it may now be time to make a move.
And if I make this move now I won't have to do it in 3 years when I have reduced income

anything else I should ask myself?
Old 02-17-2016, 03:20 PM

I plan on keeping my 06 cummins until the day I have to call the kidney foundation to come and get it. I do not mind throwing on the odd fender or door. I picked up a door with matching color for my buddies van at pick and pull and he was happy. But a wise saying is that you can finance your first vehicle but any vehicle after that you should pay cash.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
I would answer myself with...... I have a diesel with under 100k that is going on 7 years old. It has been a good girl, but it is a diesel and it's warranty has long since lapsed.
Also, since this girl is going on 7 years old, and is a dodge , I know her skin will soon start to get old....and her value will start to drop significantly.
The fact that she is still good...still has good skin and our neighbors to the south are paying top dollar for her....I think it may now be time to make a move.
And if I make this move now I won't have to do it in 3 years when I have reduced income

anything else I should ask myself?
Yes, maybe like do I need new? That thing will go for a longtime as much as you use it.
i have a few buddies that have that year truck and said they will never part with them. And the skin will last if you wash it.