Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 07-20-2009, 09:56 AM

Smile Zone 4 Otters

Hey all the trapping section of this forum is getting a little slow so I thought I would add a new thread and maybe get some advice. I have a registered line in WMU 348 and my west boundery runs along the Mcloed River.I was junior partner on this line for two years and now the senior for this past two years and in the four years total of trapping on this line the otter population has increased dramaticaly,and is starting to take its toll on the beaver population.My question is what avenues could I take to try and get my quota raised to a more realistic number as my current quota is 1 . I would like to get the ball rolling and have someone at least take my inquiry serious,before I have no beaver left to trap. Oh ya... I im a member of the A.T.A is this somthing I could address to them?? Any way thanks for reading and have a great day.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:34 AM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

Hey M.V. Don't want to hijack your post but thought I would comment. I saw what I SWORE was an otter cross Highway 748 at Bear Lake this past spring and mentioned it to some friends. They all told me I was getting old and senile. I feel better after reading your post....now I know I am just getting old.

Keep Your Powder Dry
Dave
Old 07-20-2009, 04:17 PM

Default Otters

My line is in 346 with the athabasca being my northern border. Saw an otter trail on one of the creeks on my line last season and set a 330. 13 days later I had an otter and could have had 2 if I had set the other end of the culvert. I've been on the line the last 3 seasons and have seen otter sign but alot of it is otters traveling cross country with no chance of returning to that spot. I don't believe the otters on my line are that plentiful and a quota of 2 is tough enough to fill for myself.
I would like to see the season open earlier to coincide with the beaver season since otter are prime in November and there could be an opportunity for a little open water trapping. Bring it to the Edson or Whitecourt locals. If the motion p***** the local can take it to F&W.
Why would the otter displace the beaver?
Old 07-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Banned

The situation you have with otter, is one that is constantly brought up by locals in the form of resolutions, that are then presented to the gov't and their powers to be. Because, this has never been a wide spread "problem", it is not often that any wholesale changes are made. I, do believe, there has on different occasions, minor adjustments made to quotas. Secondly, are the adjoining trappers, having the same problem as you. Ask and find out ?? And thirdly -- There is also studies out that indicate, otter do not adversely affect beaver population and they state why they make such statements. Maybe, tularemia or food supply could be the problem. I'm lucky I don't have your problem cuz, I've only got a quota of 2..
If you want to get more activity, during the dog days of July, you'll have to find that "soft spot ",
Old 07-20-2009, 07:38 PM

I am hoping to start trapping this season and am also curious why otters displace beavers?
Old 07-20-2009, 10:30 PM

I run a line in the late '80's to early '90's in NS. Lots of beaver and a fair bit of an otter population. In my experiences, the otters seemed pretty content to live off of fish, clams and the odd muskrat. I personally don't believe that they have a significant impact on beaver populations. Never managed to catch one though, and more than once went over the top of my waders in November open waters getting to active slides. Cool critters.

Tree
Old 07-21-2009, 01:16 PM

The otter quota was a topic of discussion at the ATA AGM. It appears that many trappers share your comments about otter populations. The suggestion was to inform your local officers about population levels and sightings, with as much specifics as possible. It was also brought up that reporting incidental otter catches is important. While there is no proof it happens, it has been suggested that in the past trappers have dumped incidental otter catches, as they had no interest in skinning an otter just to hand it over. Apparently you are no longer obligated to skin incidental catches and by turning them in you demonstrate their presence for sure. I have no quota but i've seen otters in sheep creek and the kakwa
Old 07-21-2009, 09:17 PM

Brian, do you believe that otters have a big impact on beavers? I'm sure they take kits when they get the chance, but mature adults gotta be a handful for 'em. My experiences are only from NS, but I've taken a few blanket bachelors that had me putting extensions on the boards that I don't think even a bold eastern coyote would mess with!

Tree
Old 07-22-2009, 09:31 AM

Smile

It is only my opinion that these otter are the cause of my declining young beaver population, I have talked to many old trappers and my nabouring trappers that have given me stories from predatoin of young kits to destruction of dams and draining of ice covered ponds (which seems to happen alot these past two years). I have spoke to local F & W who told me to talk to local biologests,which I definately will ,the reason I posted this thread was to see if anyone else has been seeing this similer situation on ther lines.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:52 PM
Banned

Draining dams - unless one gets lots of cold temps before we get an y snow, the lower portion of the dam does not freeze and is then later insulated by the snow, so the water contiues to leak out without any coming in. This is what I see happening to my water levels and as I said before, I don't have a lot of otter to do this to me.At the same time, when the water goes, guess what happens to the feed raft. Well they loose most of it and IMO this has a bearing on litter size and population in general. But there are prob others who have diff. thoughts.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:00 PM

I don't have enough otter experience to comment on mortality between otter and beaver. I believe that it would be a hell of a battle between two mature adults. More likely that beaver kits get predated on by otter.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:54 AM

Default Otters

Yesterday I had lunch with 2 season trappers with probably 80 years experience between the two of them. I asked what harm otters can do to beavers? They told me that they had both seen where otters burrowed out the bottom of beaver dams draining the pond so the could kill the beaver kits. I don't know if there is any officially documented cases of this happening but it makes you wonder.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:53 PM

Bull Getter - any animal that can dig through a beaver damn has earned a lunch of beaver. I don't see adult beavers standing around watching their kits get predated on but who knows? Them old guys have seen a thing or two in their day.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Banned

I won't touch this one with a 10' pole. However, I've heard These older trappers say that beaver will cut out their own dams, when food gets to far away, so that the water can fill a downsteam dam. Now that's just what they say . Guess they can do as they like, it's their water...
Old 10-12-2009, 12:18 AM

I'm not an old trapper but I have spent many hours in the bush. I have seen three otters attacking a young beaver. I have also had many dams and beavers lost to otters digging out dams. Like brian stated we must bring in all accidental caught otters (unskinned) to f&w. They will usually give them to trapping locals for skinning and sale. I trap off the McLeod river as well and make sure I fill my quote of one otter every year.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:10 PM

i don't trap but found a dead one on the hiway near lawrence lake past athabasca it made the awsomest mount and the fur is so soft wicked find