Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-23-2019, 12:07 PM

Man I’m still ticked we never got Stone. Yes would have given up valimaki and traded tkatchuk for a ton of assets. Tkatchuk has great hockey iq, has good hands, and a pest but he doesn’t drive a line and skates on his ankles. Not worth what we’re going to end up paying him urghhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
Thinking trades are coming after free agency opens here July 1st. Need to sign Tkachuk first then see what they have to work with. Can add Jon Gillies to the pile of trades, won't need him with two recent goalie pick ups.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
Man I’m still ticked we never got Stone. Yes would have given up valimaki and traded tkatchuk for a ton of assets. Tkatchuk has great hockey iq, has good hands, and a pest but he doesn’t drive a line and skates on his ankles. Not worth what we’re going to end up paying him urghhhh
He is going to get paid alright, but to be fair with what I have seen last couple of weeks for contracts, does anyone get paid what they are worth anymore in the NHL?
Post our brief playoff run Stone is exactly the type of guy we need, big power forward. Get that and fingers crossed Neal shake whatever bit him last season and the real deal shows up, we would be better over all. That would have been a great addition but here we are.
Flames got a lot of work to do, will be a busy summer.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:46 PM

"Cam Talbot is mulling over his options. He’s kept in touch with #Flyers, was pitched by a new team today, but the smart money would be on a return to Alberta ... with the #Flames."

Here’s what Ryan Pike from FlamesNation had to say…

"The thought process from the Flames side is likely that Talbot would be an inexpensive short-term signing with a lot of upside, and that his struggles were more a product of Edmonton’s shaky defensive system than his talent level. Talbot’s camp likely sees Calgary’s strong defensive group, led by the reigning Norris Trophy winner, and figures a season playing behind them will rehabilitate his career."

I'm not in love with this idea. I said it at the start of last season, and I'll say it one more time. With the exception of one good year, his GAA and SV% have been going the wrong way since 2013. I don't know the quality of the shots, but I do agree that Calgary does do a good job limiting shots against. That being said, if him and Rittich split time, does 150 less SA over 41 games make Talbot a good goalie?
Old 06-25-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
"Cam Talbot is mulling over his options. He’s kept in touch with #Flyers, was pitched by a new team today, but the smart money would be on a return to Alberta ... with the #Flames."

Here’s what Ryan Pike from FlamesNation had to say…

"The thought process from the Flames side is likely that Talbot would be an inexpensive short-term signing with a lot of upside, and that his struggles were more a product of Edmonton’s shaky defensive system than his talent level. Talbot’s camp likely sees Calgary’s strong defensive group, led by the reigning Norris Trophy winner, and figures a season playing behind them will rehabilitate his career."

I'm not in love with this idea. I said it at the start of last season, and I'll say it one more time. With the exception of one good year, his GAA and SV% have been going the wrong way since 2013. I don't know the quality of the shots, but I do agree that Calgary does do a good job limiting shots against. That being said, if him and Rittich split time, does 150 less SA over 41 games make Talbot a good goalie?
Been seeing this a lot last few days. Seems like a lateral move to me. May as well offer Smith a one year contract as a back up, but that said the defense in front of him, would be better so would that help him improve?? Who knows.
If the $$ was right I guess wouldn't hurt, as I was thinking we were going with same duo we had last season anyways. So if turns out to be an improvement great.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:35 PM

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...ttich-bennett/

Let the games begin. Treliving is typically good at getting things done for a decent term and amount, but with the contracts of late I'm not sure. Work your magic Tre.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:23 AM

Looks like frolik is gonna be gone. Frees up 4.3 in cap space.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Looks like frolik is gonna be gone. Frees up 4.3 in cap space.
To New Jersey, or what are you hearing?
Old 06-28-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
To New Jersey, or what are you hearing?
That is one team I’m hearing. I don’t think the flames care about the return as long as they can dump him and free up 4.3 million with him about to be a free agent soon.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:43 PM

Yeah 960 been saying Frolik dump is mostly for cap room and draft picks. Not a player to replace him.
Also seen other than waiting for the Monday deadline Talbot is a done deal for 1 year. I'm ok with that, younger then Smith and was decent with a crap D core in front of him. Give home 35 starts with a solid defense and we will see how it goes.

Old 06-30-2019, 05:00 PM

Think Mike Commodore is having a little fun with Flames fans and it's working Haha. Facebook is on fire with this one.

Old 06-30-2019, 06:09 PM

Mike C nailed Smith to edmonton before everyone so hope he is right on this one 😊

Talbot to Calgary and Smith to Edmonton done deal. Bring on the battle of Alberta
Old 06-30-2019, 08:59 PM

I see Pavelski and Perrry to Dallas, Stars will be stronger next year, Damn we are got getting that much better here. These big contracts are not helping.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:14 AM

Two former Flames amongst the first signed. Fantenberg goes to Vancouver and Hathaway goes to Washington for 4 years for $1.5M/year.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:16 AM

"Seravalli on Stars signing Perry: Dallas has become a legitimate Cup contender"

Really?!?
Old 07-01-2019, 10:25 AM

Loss of Hathaway annoys me. We need to get bigger and stronger and that isn't the way to do it.
Signing 5'9" guys instead of bigger. Ugh. I'm no GM although I like to play one. I think bad move but see what happens over the summer.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Loss of Hathaway annoys me. We need to get bigger and stronger and that isn't the way to do it.
Signing 5'9" guys instead of bigger. Ugh. I'm no GM although I like to play one. I think bad move but see what happens over the summer.

I'm okay with Fantenburg leaving, but the loss of Hathaway annoys me as well. At $1.5M, one would hope it wasn't the money, possibly the term, but I thought he was an excellent 4th line guy.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:30 AM

Dang, Panarin signs for $11.642M per for 7 years.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:31 AM

So.... looks like flames are gonna be regular season sensations and playoff mice again? They add some grit?
Old 07-01-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
So.... looks like flames are gonna be regular season sensations and playoff mice again? They add some grit?
"Grit" wasn't the problem, Colorado isn't a big, heavy team that pushed the Flames around, think Calgary even outhit them by a wide margin. It was a simple matter of passion and heart. We essentially had two players show up, Smith and Bennet, which unfortunately, wasn't enough. We could add a ton of grit, Kassion, Maroon, Simmonds, etc. and if nobody is playing with any heart and passion, same result will be achieved. Some of those locker day interviews were pretty non-nonchalant.....
Old 07-01-2019, 10:39 AM

To have grit is to have heart and passion.
Can’t be a gritty player if you have no heart.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
To have grit is to have heart and passion.
Can’t be a gritty player if you have no heart.
I guess I associate grit with toughness, and you can definitely be tough and have no heart and passion.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:33 AM

Talbot for 1 year at $2.75M. A bit higher than I would have liked, but I guess it's just for one year.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:30 PM

Well lots of teams got much better, Flames weren't one of them. The Talbot thing meh could be worse. Has decent numbers and it's one year and think home and Dave solid enough to hold their own. Loss of Hath pizzez me off, this team needs to get bigger and this is not the way to do it.
Colorado got better for sure , Dallas yikes. How do we take them out come playoff time? Going to have Tkachuck pester them to death? Sorry but we did NOT get better. Let's home something comes out of moving Brodie and Frolik. Although at this point may want to keep Frolik. Keep the 3M line together. We need that production.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Well lots of teams got much better, Flames weren't one of them. The Talbot thing meh could be worse. Has decent numbers and it's one year and think home and Dave solid enough to hold their own. Loss of Hath pizzez me off, this team needs to get bigger and this is not the way to do it.
Colorado got better for sure , Dallas yikes. How do we take them out come playoff time? Going to have Tkachuck pester them to death? Sorry but we did NOT get better. Let's home something comes out of moving Brodie and Frolik. Although at this point may want to keep Frolik. Keep the 3M line together. We need that production.

Colorado might have gotten a bit better with Wilson and Donskoi, but I'll take Barrie and Kerfoot for Kadri and Rosen all day long.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Colorado might have gotten a bit better with Wilson and Donskoi, but I'll take Barrie and Kerfoot for Kadri and Rosen all day long.
Today it looks like Toronto won, but Barrie is an RFA and at 29 is looking at a big contract if his numbers stay the same. Kadri is locked up for another 3 years with a cap friendly contract. Kerfoot might be the difference maker in the trade if he put up some good numbers with the Toronto's skilled offence
Old 07-02-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talking moose View Post
so.... Looks like flames are gonna be regular season sensations and playoff mice again? They add some grit?
58bdba99fabb5b9061f48d8365a07e06.jpg
Old 07-02-2019, 10:44 AM

Can anyone fill me in on the offer sheet situation for Aho? A brief comparison first, Aho and Panarin are within an 1" of 8 lbs of each other, Aho is considerably younger and plays center, and they were within 2 goals and 4 pts of each other last season. I'd say Aho's arguably more desirable than Panarin, as he's younger and plays center, who just signed a 7 year, $81.5M ($11.6/yr) contract.

Caroline had something like $20M in space, Aho is by far their best player, of course they are going to match a 5 year $42M ($8.4M/yr) contract. What was Montreal's angle? They must have known they weren't going to get him. Why not go after Point, were Tampa has less than $7M in space and still needs to sign four players? Almost seems like a "see, I tried, but we didn't get him, oh well.".
Old 07-02-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Can anyone fill me in on the offer sheet situation for Aho? A brief comparison first, Aho and Panarin are within an 1" of 8 lbs of each other, Aho is considerably younger and plays center, and they were within 2 goals and 4 pts of each other last season. I'd say Aho's arguably more desirable than Panarin, as he's younger and plays center, who just signed a 7 year, $81.5M ($11.6/yr) contract.

Caroline had something like $20M in space, Aho is by far their best player, of course they are going to match a 5 year $42M ($8.4M/yr) contract. What was Montreal's angle? They must have known they weren't going to get him. Why not go after Point, were Tampa has less than $7M in space and still needs to sign four players? Almost seems like a "see, I tried, but we didn't get him, oh well.".
Carolina has always been a budget team. Montreal fashioned the deal that Aho would get $22 in the first 12 months of the deal. Montreal was hoping that would be too rich for the Carolina owners.

Remember Carolina could be doing a "F-U" to Bergevin right now. Montreal can not do anything else until Carolina signs Aho because the cap space is tied up until then. I say Carolina waits until the last minute on the 7th day.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:52 PM

https://flamesnation.ca/2019/07/05/d...y-arbitration/

HHmm sounds like things just got complicated for Mr. Treliving. Going to be a busy summer for him to get this all sorted by Sept / Oct.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
https://flamesnation.ca/2019/07/05/d...y-arbitration/

HHmm sounds like things just got complicated for Mr. Treliving. Going to be a busy summer for him to get this all sorted by Sept / Oct.
He had to get it done by Sept/Oct anyway. Player(s) wouldn't come to camp without a contract, that would be suicide. They'd just sit out instead.

Arbitration just ensures there will be resolution as I think the decision is binding.

Does have the potential to create some hard feelings though. The agent pumps the players tires and the GM tries to let the air out.

Doesn't mean they can't reach a deal before the hearing either I believe.