Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 06-26-2017, 06:25 PM

Default Yellowstone to Yukon phone survey

I just answered a YTY phone survey. BE AWARE when answering their questions all the questions are loaded and can and will trick you. I am not saying you shouldn't do the survery just be aware of the questions. They put a double negative at the end of the question to trick your response. If you are slightly distracted you'll miss the loaded questions.

Just a heads up
Bill
Old 06-27-2017, 07:31 AM

Y2Y has partnered with Take a Stand For the Highwood against the clearcutting slated for the area starting in August. Trappers will be affected by this, and the trapper most immediately impacted co-wrote this article.

http://calgaryherald.com/opinion/col...-for-k-country

I see no sinister motives behind Y2Y. One may not agree with every single project they are involved in nor every opinion they put forth, but protecting the wilderness is something most of us support.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 06-27-2017, 10:52 AM

Maybe ask Y2Y what their support is for hunting/trapping carnivores, especially wolves? And would they support a limited grizzly bear hunt where their numbers are high? You'll find out they aren't quite on your side. Trappers especially need to be aware of this group.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonnage View Post
Maybe ask Y2Y what their support is for hunting/trapping carnivores, especially wolves? And would they support a limited grizzly bear hunt where their numbers are high? You'll find out they aren't quite on your side. Trappers especially need to be aware of this group.
Excellent point.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:58 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
I see no sinister motives behind Y2Y. One may not agree with every single project they are involved in nor every opinion they put forth, but protecting the wilderness is something most of us support.
Very sinister motives if you like trapping, hunting, access, ATV's, even fishing. I believe these people to be amongst the worst enemies of all for Alberta mountain trappers.

My belief is that they simply try to be winsome on the surface, they have an agenda to accomplish and will give big smiles and act like our friends, etc, but when alls said and done they hate trapping and hunting, ATV access just as much which is quite necessary if you want to actually do any sort of work.

That's my take. I try to look between all the smiles and "partnerships", handshakes, BS and things and read what these people's actual agenda is and then look down the road to conclusion of what the new mountain trapping world will look like after they have achieved their "protected areas" which ultimately mean areas essentially shut down to all common sense use.

Yup, all the way from Yellowstone to Yukon
Old 06-28-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Very sinister motives if you like trapping, hunting, access, ATV's, even fishing. I believe these people to be amongst the worst enemies of all for Alberta mountain trappers.

My belief is that they simply try to be winsome on the surface, they have an agenda to accomplish and will give big smiles and act like our friends, etc, but when alls said and done they hate trapping and hunting, ATV access just as much which is quite necessary if you want to actually do any sort of work.

That's my take. I try to look between all the smiles and "partnerships", handshakes, BS and things and read what these people's actual agenda is and then look down the road to conclusion of what the new mountain trapping world will look like after they have achieved their "protected areas" which ultimately mean areas essentially shut down to all common sense use.

Yup, all the way from Yellowstone to Yukon
X2!
Old 06-28-2017, 10:56 AM

I agree do not trust the Y2Y bunch of Spandex & granola crowd. They believe the wilderness has nothing but cuddly grizzly bears and wolves are just big puppies.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:35 PM
Banned

I've never heard of this organization but every time I hear about similar organisations I immediately cringe. It's a rain day so I decided to have a look at who they are and what they are doing. On the surface they do not appear to be anti trapping or anti hunting and their main concern appears to be resource development (lumber and O&G) along that corridor. I found one example of them working in cooperation with a local trapper to oppose clear cutting in the Kannanaskis area.

Y2Y's Hunting, Trapping, and Fishing Policy

Revised Spring 2017
The Yellowstone to Yukon Conservation Initiative (Y2Y) is committed to the ecological integrity of, and long term health of habitats and wildlife populations within, the Yellowstone to Yukon region.

Within this context, Y2Y recognizes that hunting, trapping, and fishing:
• are indigenous rights;
• are part of the cultural heritage and economy of the Yellowstone to Yukon region;
• are appropriate activities within the Yellowstone to Yukon region, provided that they are conducted in an ethical manner that includes fair chase principles; and
• may be appropriate means to help maintain or manage fish and wildlife population health.

In addition, Y2Y acknowledges the legitimacy of wildlife sanctuaries set aside from hunting, fishing, or trapping where wildlife populations can recover from the impacts of the developed landscape, to protect wildlife genetics from the impacts of selection from human-caused mortality, and which act as source populations for hunting, trapping, and fishing opportunities outside their boundaries.

From here: https://y2y.net/about-us/faq/faq#wha...-yukon-region-

Is Y2Y opposed to development, resource extraction, hunting, and off-road vehicle use?

No - as long as these activities are carried out responsibly, sustainably, and with a minimal negative impact on the wildlife, ecosystems and human communities of the area. People are an integral part of the region. Y2Y encourages people to participate in responsible recreation activities, and we understand that many communities in the region depend on resource extraction for their livelihood. We believe the land should be maintained, enjoyed, and its resources utilized responsibly for the well being of both the human and wild inhabitants of the region.

To me, they don't sound anti-trapping and their opposition to development in that corridor could actually be beneficial to trappers trapping that area. I have barely scratched the surface though, but from what I've read I think that there may be a common mindset between Y2Y and trappers wrt preserving the corridor for trapping. IMO, they could potentially be a good ally of trappers.

Just my opinion based on the little research that I have done.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:48 PM

Dave, a little more reading is in order...thankfully rob looked into this group of granolas.

They are absolutely not a 'conservation organization'- they are preservationists with funding and personnel ties to several American and international ecoterrorist groups (see links below). They are essentially anti-human use. Their goal is a massive no-go zone that encompasses the entire Rocky Mountains. They frequently use emotional wedge issues such as logging, ATVs, bear hunting and wolf control to garner support from outdoor enthusiasts who are well-meaning but unaware of the organization's history and long game. Slowly but surely they intend to chip away at the number of people allowed into the mountains. Unfortunately they also have the backing of several prominent biologists and authors, and our environment minister Shannon Philips was (potentially still is) a supporter.

http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/arc...ts-may-08.html
http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/arc...s-june-08.html
http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/arc...s-july-08.html
Old 06-28-2017, 02:59 PM
Banned

Thanks, I'll have a look.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Dave, a little more reading is in order...thankfully rob looked into this group of granolas.

They are absolutely not a 'conservation organization'- they are preservationists with funding and personnel ties to several American and international ecoterrorist groups (see links below). They are essentially anti-human use. Their goal is a massive no-go zone that encompasses the entire Rocky Mountains. They frequently use emotional wedge issues such as logging, ATVs, bear hunting and wolf control to garner support from outdoor enthusiasts who are well-meaning but unaware of the organization's history and long game. Slowly but surely they intend to chip away at the number of people allowed into the mountains. Unfortunately they also have the backing of several prominent biologists and authors, and our environment minister Shannon Philips was (potentially still is) a supporter.

http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/arc...ts-may-08.html
http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/arc...s-june-08.html
http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/arc...s-july-08.html
Interesting read but without elaborating on how Y2Y is connected to the loonie-toons organizations mentioned in the articles, how do you determine that they are affiliated in any way?

"Y2Y is just one of several projects that falls under the umbrella of another organization called “The Wildlands Project” (TWP) based out of Florida with field offices in Vermont and Arizona."

I'm not defending the organization in the least. I'm just saying that an explanation of how the organizations are connected should have been offered.

If they do have some sort of nefarious agenda to make huge tracts of land non-usable to humans they certainly have a lot of people fooled. Their partners/donors include The Assembly of First Nations and other First Nation groups, State F&W Departments, Backcountry Hunters & Anglers, Trout Unlimited, and a bunch of Universities.

https://y2y.net/work/who-with-our-partners

It doesn't matter to me either way, I'm just sayin......
Old 06-29-2017, 01:37 AM
Banned

Never mind. I read enough. Not my circus, not my monkey.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Interesting read but without elaborating on how Y2Y is connected to the loonie-toons organizations mentioned in the articles, how do you determine that they are affiliated in any way?

"Y2Y is just one of several projects that falls under the umbrella of another organization called “The Wildlands Project” (TWP) based out of Florida with field offices in Vermont and Arizona."

I'm not defending the organization in the least. I'm just saying that an explanation of how the organizations are connected should have been offered.

If they do have some sort of nefarious agenda to make huge tracts of land non-usable to humans they certainly have a lot of people fooled. Their partners/donors include The Assembly of First Nations and other First Nation groups, State F&W Departments, Backcountry Hunters & Anglers, Trout Unlimited, and a bunch of Universities.

https://y2y.net/work/who-with-our-partners

It doesn't matter to me either way, I'm just sayin......
Trapping without the use of OHV's gets mighty tough. They've cherry-picked their supporters too. First nation groups have their own playing field and this will be played against non-first nations, back country hunters and anglers are fine supporters but they exclude OHV's. They're not into making large tracts of land unusable to humans but they want to restrict access by shutting down existing OHV access. This is all fine if you want to trap/hunt/fish and haul everything out on your horse or back..............if hunting/trapping are even permitted by non-first nations.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:22 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Never mind. I read enough. Not my circus, not my monkey.
Oh!!!!!

Thank you Dave
Old 06-30-2017, 07:26 AM
AO Sponsor

Noooo.... that's wrong

OOOOOHHH....Thank You Dave!!!!!