Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-14-2017, 06:23 PM
Banned

Default Bear Banger Question.

So a couple weeks ago my uncle gave me a bear banger to use if needed while picking Morels. We tested it with bangers, flares and whistles. I was very impressed that something that small could make such a huge noise.
His model was a "Tru Flare". This week I bought the deluxe pkg. with carrying case at WSS. They had the "Star Blazer" brand. Now my brother wants to buy some for himself and his family.
My question.... Is it better to buy the rimfire model, or the centre fire model? Does it matter? I bought the rimfire model, and it works great, but is one better then the other? Thanks.

P.S. I cannot believe you can buy these things without a PAL.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:57 PM

Buy only one type. I don't think it matters if you go to rim or centre just don't end up in bear country with a rim fire banger on your pen launcher that is set up for centre fire.

Pal not required. It's not a gun.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:23 PM

Default Bear Banger

I heard some where that the rim fire was going to be discontinued.... I own one myself same brand don't recall if it's centre or rim fire. I'd stick with the centre fire if I were getting one now.

Ken
Old 06-14-2017, 09:39 PM

I imagine the rim fires are being discontinued because they're easy to turn into a pen gun.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:05 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
So a couple weeks ago my uncle gave me a bear banger to use if needed while picking Morels. We tested it with bangers, flares and whistles. I was very impressed that something that small could make such a huge noise.
His model was a "Tru Flare". This week I bought the deluxe pkg. with carrying case at WSS. They had the "Star Blazer" brand. Now my brother wants to buy some for himself and his family.
My question.... Is it better to buy the rimfire model, or the centre fire model? Does it matter? I bought the rimfire model, and it works great, but is one better then the other? Thanks.

P.S. I cannot believe you can buy these things without a PAL.
I am no expert but I have used banger flares before, many years ago.

My experience with then lead me to believe that bear spray was a far better option for bears.

For signalling distress both work fine. I owned a rimfire pen and worked with guys who had shotgun type flares.

The problem I had with the bangers for bears is that I found that when I aimed too high the Bear would often jump as though startled, but not run away.
If I aimed low, there was too much chance that the flare would explode beyond the Bear sending it running toward me.

I only carried my flare pen for on one job, then I left it at home and soon lost track of it. I don't know what ever became of it.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 06-15-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I am no expert but I have used banger flares before, many years ago.

My experience with then lead me to believe that bear spray was a far better option for bears.

For signalling distress both work fine. I owned a rimfire pen and worked with guys who had shotgun type flares.

The problem I had with the bangers for bears is that I found that when I aimed too high the Bear would often jump as though startled, but not run away.
If I aimed low, there was too much chance that the flare would explode beyond the Bear sending it running toward me.

I only carried my flare pen for on one job, then I left it at home and soon lost track of it. I don't know what ever became of it.
Never used them, but I'd be concerned about where the banger went off, could be the exact opposite of what you want.

Grizz
Old 06-15-2017, 08:37 AM

One thing to look out for - on some, the launcher is not made very well. On mine
(a cheapie one, last one WSS had in stock at the time), I cut myself on a burr in the machining while I was familiarizing myself with the unit.

Although it does what it's supposed to do, I'm on the lookout for something that is a little more "professional", for the lack of a better word.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:24 AM

Default Rimfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken3134 View Post
I heard some where that the rim fire was going to be discontinued.... I own one myself same brand don't recall if it's centre or rim fire. I'd stick with the centre fire if I were getting one now.

Ken
I have been hearing this on the rim fires since the 1970"s ....

I see alot more availability on the rimfire flares and bangers.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
I have been hearing this on the rim fires since the 1970"s ....

I see alot more availability on the rimfire flares and bangers.
Same story here. I have heard rumors of the Rimfire Pen Flares being discontinued for decades and I can still find them without any issue. Maybe one day I will have to get a new one. With 20+ years of owning the same launcher I got my money's worth out of it.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:12 PM
Banned

Thanks for all the replies. So as far as durability, or reliability, there is no difference between rimfire and center fire?
I did notice on the "Star Blazer" model that there is a 2nd "saftey" near bottom of launcher. I don't like that. First time using it, lever got hung up on bottom saftey. I don't see why anyone would leave it on saftey at "Full draw". I don't think "Tru Flare" had that 2nd safety.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgvande View Post
Buy only one type. I don't think it matters if you go to rim or centre just don't end up in bear country with a rim fire banger on your pen launcher that is set up for centre fire.

Pal not required. It's not a gun.

ended up doing exactly that, tested one at the ranch and it went off like it was supposed to.

had a grizz walk into our Willmore camp at 2am, bear bangers would not work

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 06-15-2017, 06:01 PM

If you want to scare off something while they are 50 plus meters away use shell crackers out of a shotgun. Pen fired flares are not very reliable! I have had a couple of them explode on the launcher. Likely part of the reason I need hearing aids! If you need protection when the critter is inside 20 meters, bear spray is likely a better bet - try to spray it downwind to the problem!
Old 06-15-2017, 07:57 PM

You used to be able to get a centerfire and rim fire changeable launcher from wholesale. I used mine on 3 bears it worked well on the first 2 the third one just didn't care at all and just walked by like nothing was going on. I find them handy when I'm fly fishing I always have bear spray anyhow. It adds a layer to the old deterrent envelope.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:18 PM

Choose the screamers instead of the banger. The noise starts three feet in front of you and travels away from you. Whereas the banger make the noise start 70m away of however far it is.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:43 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Talking

Take a few out and familiarize yourself with them, remember you are going to use them once in 10 years or so ...

Seen a buddy fumble with them, let it off, over the Bears back and boom...bear ran towards him, past him, he squealed like a newborn ...all 6,4" 220lbs of him...I pee'd from laughing so hard...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...