Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-18-2017, 03:18 PM

Bustercluck if you read my earlier post I clearly spoke about using mirage. Again I'm no expert and still learning but I do find mirage to be very helpful.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman3 View Post
Bustercluck if you read my earlier post I clearly spoke about using mirage. Again I'm no expert and still learning but I do find mirage to be very helpful.
Mirage is extremely difficult to read. It always looks as vertical lines going across your optics. You have no way to determine as to whether it is full or half value, both look the same. And this is where sitting at the bench and learning with the most basic of tools comes into play. Thus in my long range shooting, sometimes I don't even fire a single shot. I get a reading from my anemometer, I observe the grass or leaves, fell the wind on my face. Then, I send it. Be it where I wanted to land or not, either way I've learned what I needed to know. A 10 MPH cross wind does this, and a 20 MPH crosswind does that.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:07 PM

I use mirage. It is my primary source of information. Without it I have a really hard time.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Mirage is extremely difficult to read. It always looks as vertical lines going across your optics. You have no way to determine as to whether it is full or half value, both look the same. And this is where sitting at the bench and learning with the most basic of tools comes into play. Thus in my long range shooting, sometimes I don't even fire a single shot. I get a reading from my anemometer, I observe the grass or leaves, fell the wind on my face. Then, I send it. Be it where I wanted to land or not, either way I've learned what I needed to know. A 10 MPH cross wind does this, and a 20 MPH crosswind does that.
Play with the focus on your optics and you will see it. Bring it slightly out of focus and it will be easier to see. If you can read it well it sure helps with lower wind speeds. It will wash out if the wind picks up though.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:12 AM

Or sometimes mirage is so bad that I have not been able to shoot. Worst was a spring day shooting over a cultivated black field. Cool outside temps with bright sunshine warming the field. Looked like the gong was dancing all over the place. Most extreme mirage I have seen.