Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-03-2017, 12:12 PM

Default 6.5 Creedmore ..what's going on ?

I'm just wondering what people see in this cartridge that is causing the Lemming-like migration to the Creedmore retailers... same with the .260 Remington.
As paper punchers I can see these two as having merit. As a hunting cartridge neither will ever replace the old 6.5x55 Swede as king of the hill in a modern non-magnum .264 cal. cartridge.

What is the attraction ? Short action?, lightweight? suitable for AR Zombie platform ?, cost?, low recoil ?. Whatever it is, I'm missing it. I desperately need some help.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
I'm just wondering what people see in this cartridge that is causing the Lemming-like migration to the Creedmore retailers... same with the .260 Remington.
As paper punchers I can see these two as having merit. As a hunting cartridge neither will ever replace the old 6.5x55 Swede as king of the hill in a modern non-magnum .264 cal. cartridge.

What is the attraction ? Short action?, lightweight? suitable for AR Zombie platform ?, cost?, low recoil ?. Whatever it is, I'm missing it. I desperately need some help.
It has a Cool Name haha
Old 06-03-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger338 View Post
It has a Cool Name haha
6.5x55 Swede is way cooler.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-03-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post

All of the above, barrels with the appropriate twist rate, good barrel life and great accuracy with (most importantly)...factory ammo.

If you reload, you won't get it, because you can do the same or better with any cartridge. For those of us with neither the time nor access to a backyard range, it's brilliant.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:10 PM

I've got an uncle that shoots at 1000 yards, his two rifles for that distance are the 6.5 creed and the 300wm

he loves his 6.5 because the recoil out of a heavy rifle is so small that he can watch the 1000 yard gong impact through his scope, and the drop is similar to his 300

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 06-03-2017, 01:51 PM
Banned

Short
Action

Proper twist

Room in the mag box for long, high bc bullets

Has already knocked the swede off the hill.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Short
Action

Proper twist

Swede 55mm
Creedmoor 48.8 mm
------------------------
Difference 6.2mm ( 1/4 inch) ( case length )

Short action, lmao

Huge benefits there,, a smaller case scarcity ??? Duh
Old 06-03-2017, 01:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Short
Action

Proper twist

Swede 55mm
Creedmoor 48.8 mm
------------------------

Short action, lmao

Huge benefits there,, a smaller case capacity ??? Duh
Old 06-03-2017, 03:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
Swede 55mm
Creedmoor 48.8 mm
------------------------

Short action, lmao

Huge benefits there,, a smaller case capacity ??? Duh
One day you might figure it out.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:40 PM
Banned

Ahhh, another 'I don't like it so who needs it' thread.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
All of the above, barrels with the appropriate twist rate, good barrel life and great accuracy with (most importantly)...factory ammo.

If you reload, you won't get it, because you can do the same or better with any cartridge. For those of us with neither the time nor access to a backyard range, it's brilliant.

what he said ^^. i will add the fact that in the states it has gotten a pile of traction with PRS shooters because it fits in almost perfectly with the rules and regulations regarding bullet size and speed. PRS is such a fast growing sport in the states with many awesome shots being made. people want to think they can own a match ready factory rifle and be able to shoot match ready factory ammo and the 6.5CM can get them pretty darn close.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 06-03-2017, 05:19 PM
Banned

I don't personally own one. But I've built 2 of them for clients. The resulting targets were enough of an attraction for me to wish to build one for myself. Given time of course. Short action, low recoil and stellar accuracy, those are the things that draw me to it.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:22 PM

The main reason for the popularity of the cartridge is that it is finally a 6.5 caliber that has risen to vast popularity south of the border. It is a fine caliber but not much different to the 6.5x55 or 260 Remington. Judging by the data, it will be here for a long time. I might have to try one
Old 06-03-2017, 05:29 PM
Banned

It was designed to hold the long sleek bullets far enough out to still fit the powder in and fit into a 2.8" mag box. I'm having one made with a 3" mag box right now. It is one of very few cartridges that was purpose built from the ground up.

Naysayers, please list the flaws of the 6.5 Creedmoor, I'd be interested in hearing them.

PS, "because I have a 130yr old cartridge that will do the same thing" is not a flaw in the Creedmoor, nor is it true.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:48 PM
Banned

Read all you want (not a bad thing). Actually trying one out in real time for yourself.....priceless.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:58 PM

A cartridge that is designed to fit into any magazine is a non issue for me because I prefer single shot rifles .
The Creedmoor is a 6.5 cartridge that is no better ballisticly than any of the other 6.5's IMO because it is the bullet not the case that makes the difference unless you want it to go into something like a certain action .
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 06-03-2017 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:15 PM

Default Comparison of 6.5mm cartridges

Check it out:

http://www.eabco.com/6.5_mm_cartridges.html
Old 06-03-2017, 06:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
Sure enough. More reading material, however good information. But trigger and target time trumps all that stuff.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:30 PM

There are s bunch of 6.5's missed in that comparison chart
Not sure if that chart is truly representative of " the best " either
A26 Nosler for instance in the rifles it normally is built in,would be outdone in a mixed woods deer hunting situation by a smaller cased 6.5 like the 6.5MS in a light carbine
I can state this from experience of shooting various 6.5's in different weights if rifles fir over 30 years
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 06-03-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:23 PM

I have several 6.5 X 47L's which pretty much parallel the performance of the Creedmoor...a bit less powder but operate with a bit more pressure. The '47 uses a small primer, and I think Lapua may be making a Creedmoor with the small primer. It is possible the small primer and Lapua quality brass will step up the Creed performance?
Old 06-03-2017, 10:57 PM

Default Seeing impact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
I've got an uncle that shoots at 1000 yards, his two rifles for that distance are the 6.5 creed and the 300wm

he loves his 6.5 because the recoil out of a heavy rifle is so small that he can watch the 1000 yard gong impact through his scope, and the drop is similar to his 300
I was just out today with the 300 wm my targets were 8" balloons at 800yds from prone I could watch them explode through my scope as I smoked each one. I can also spot my own impacts at 1000 with my 308. Both rifles are built on mauser actions and have sporterized weight barrels
Old 06-03-2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
It was designed to hold the long sleek bullets far enough out to still fit the powder in and fit into a 2.8" mag box. I'm having one made with a 3" mag box right now. It is one of very few cartridges that was purpose built from the ground up.

Naysayers, please list the flaws of the 6.5 Creedmoor, I'd be interested in hearing them.

PS, "because I have a 130yr old cartridge that will do the same thing" is not a flaw in the Creedmoor, nor is it true.

I'm certainly not a naysayer regarding the Creedmore. I does very well at what it was designed to do... LR Target work. As a hunting cartridge, it still won't compete with the Swede. First, being designed for an AR platform it has a lower SAAMI operating pressure than a modern 6.5x55 thus less velocity. A Swede on a modern action will run pressures exceeding 62,000 psi. Current Hornady factory ammo for the CR are at 57,000 as the CR blew primers with their initial CR offerings @60,000psi To make up the velocity difference between the two, the CM requires a 28 " barrel to keep up to a 24" barreled Swede with the same bullet .Not a plus for the CM as a hunting cartridge.
Therin lies my difficulty in understanding the popularity and usefulness of the 6.5 CM as a hunting round. Even the old 6.5/.308 (.260 Rem) blows it away in that regard. Being a short action cartridge, running higher pressures, the .260 Rem has far more credentials as a hunting cartridge than the CM will ever have.. almost a Swede as I see it.. Just my take.. not a knock on any of them.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:52 PM

I looked real hard the other day at the 6.5 cm ,always was a fan of the 6.5 sw .always though for 40 years it was one of the most underrated cartridges,i have a 6.5 x55 in a tikka lite and it's a pleasure to shoot and I could not see the big advandage over the6.5 cm,but there selling and the 6.5 cm in lotsa makes .I also am wondering what the big deal is,but there must be some thing cause there selling very well.The 6.53 scramjet buy lazzeroni would give most of them a good run for the money,6.5 stw which is very close the 26 nosler,just buy spare barrels

Last edited by JD848; 06-04-2017 at 12:04 AM.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
I looked real hard the other day at the 6.5 cm ,always was a fan of the 6.5 sw .always though for 40 years it was one of the most underrated cartridges,i have a 6.5 x55 in a tikka lite and it's a pleasure to shoot and I could not see the big advandage over the6.5 cm,but there selling and the 6.5 cm in lotsa makes .I also am wondering what the big deal is,but there must be some thing cause there selling very well.The 6.53 scramjet buy lazzeroni would give most of them a good run for the money,6.5 stw which is very close the 26 nosler,just buy spare barrels
The simple fact is that many people are buying the Creedmoor, because the manufacturers have convinced them that they need one. They have done a great job of marketing, so people are flocking to the Creedmoor, even though it really offers nothing over the 6.5x47l.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:35 AM

The differences are so subtle (with most 6.5's), and most of us are information junkies. I am guilty of this myself. Maybe it is time to rename the .303 British, find the ideal rifling twist for an ultra high BC bullet pushed by the latest most efficient powder. ..let's call it a .31 Super - American Patriot Magnum and it would be hyped liked none other...it is all about selling stuff,imo.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:41 AM

I've bin shooting a couple CM(vanguard & x bolt target) for a few years now( used to shoot a 6.5 - 06),love it for deer(129 gr LRAB) and I use 139 gr lapua scenars for long range target.
I have a friend with a 260 rem (tikka) it shoots great also.
I really don't see much difference in the 2 other than mine has a 28 '' barrel and his a 23 1/2''.Mine gets about 125 fps better with less powder so I think it is the barrel length difference.I have never shot a swedeor a 47 lapua but always have had a interest in them.Between the 4 of them I don't think any game would know the difference at reasonable distance.All the hype on witch one is faster really makes no difference to me as I reload and usally stay away from top end loads because I believe they are hard on barrels and brass and usally the best load isn't always the one with the most powder.
I like the CM but IMO its not better than any of the others.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:42 AM

I think the biggest reason is marketing. The gun companies are really pushing the 6.5 creedmore and they have made lots of guns available in that cartridge
Old 06-04-2017, 11:26 AM

I put a box or a little better through a friends 6.5 Creedmore AI this weekend in a gopher patch. I found it quite pleasant to shoot with. Plenty accurate for sod rats at distance that's for sure. It had a brake so can't comment on recoil but I suspect it would be on par with my .260 Rem. Those long pills sure do look sexy seated in the case. I can see merit in adding another 6.5 to the collection at some point.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:32 PM

I'll just stick with my .256 Newton, .....the Queen of all!
Old 06-04-2017, 02:16 PM

Default don't know

Just bought the 6.5 swede. why? because I had never owned one and I had an empty spot in the rifle rack that needed filling.