Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-10-2015, 04:32 PM

Default Road kill

Hello guys and gals,was wondering who has obtained a permit to pick up road kill for bait stations,looking towards the resident trapper's basically,cheers Peter
Old 10-10-2015, 08:34 PM
Banned

I was into the F&W office this week and I asked about that. Unfortunately there were no Officers handy and I'll have to email them about it. Someone on here mentioned setting up a found dead wildlife agreement with F&W where they photo'd, logged and just took the roadkill as they came across it. I want to see if I can set the same thing up in this area. I've salvaged roadkill in the past and all that I had to do was email a picture with the specifics (species, sex, etc). It'd be great if a fella could just log that stuff and not have to go through it every time though. Thanks for the reminder, I'll get on it and let you know when I receive a reply.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:50 PM

Hey Peter I have a letter from the officer in my F&W office saying that I can legally possess road killed deer and moose in my wmu for baiting coyotes. I have to take pics email them and location and sign a form at the office within a week of pick up. Due to cwd I have to turn in the head also I am not allowed to keep any antlers. You know it is worth the Hassel. Now if you could find a butcher or slaughter house and make a deal to get the inedibles that would be the ticket. Steady weekly bait. I almost smell all those yotes
Old 10-10-2015, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill9044 View Post
Hey Peter I have a letter from the officer in my F&W office saying that I can legally possess road killed deer and moose in my wmu for baiting coyotes. I have to take pics email them and location and sign a form at the office within a week of pick up. Due to cwd I have to turn in the head also I am not allowed to keep any antlers. You know it is worth the Hassel. Now if you could find a butcher or slaughter house and make a deal to get the inedibles that would be the ticket. Steady weekly bait. I almost smell all those yotes
Interesting Bill,i requested a permit to do the same as well,when I got some permission paper's back for rats there was a sticky not attached saying the officer wanted to limit the pick up of road kill to Registered Trapper's only,so I think that this is discrimination as you have stated that you were able to obtain a permit,why was I not is the BIG question here,any thoughts,anyone?

Last edited by PCP_ECOM; 10-10-2015 at 11:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-11-2015, 06:41 AM
Banned

Default Road Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP_ECOM View Post
Interesting Bill,i requested a permit to do the same as well,when I got some permission paper's back for rats there was a sticky not attached saying the officer wanted to limit the pick up of road kill to Registered Trapper's only,so I think that this is discrimination as you have stated that you were able to obtain a permit,why was I not is the BIG question here,any thoughts,anyone?
In our area they give out permits to both Resident and Registered Trappers and their Juniors. Looking at last years letter the stipulations on the letter include not picking up any until Nov. 16, reporting the pick up to their Office right away with species etc. and a map showing which Counties/WMU's that raod kill can be picked up. (Concern for possible CWD infected carcasses).

There are many trapping related processes that are presently in the works to get standardized across the Province so hopefully this is one of them.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:21 AM

Martin, what are the many trapping standards you mentioned that are being standardized. Who is doing this SRD or ATA. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:47 AM

Out east where I am there are no Line's. But she did say at the office they limit the amount of letters they hand out.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Martin, what are the many trapping standards you mentioned that are being standardized. Who is doing this SRD or ATA. Thanks.

SRD.

Here are some examples.

The ATA according to the Executive Director have not been formally consulted as of yet.

RFMA transfers are now done by the Area Biologist (no more rubber stamped transfers), qualification to be a Senior and Junior Partner, cabin and miscellaneous outbuilding standards (in some cases transfers will be refused unless cabins meet requirements), trapline activity (activity and trapline useage will be monitored).

All good stuff. Long overdue. It's going to take some time to implement but looks like they are on the right track. Just tightening up some loose ends and putting some teeth into the rulebook.

Stay tuned for more Wildland Park designations and Provincial Park expansions similar to the Castle area.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:00 AM

Keep in mind that cannot be from domestic animals
Old 10-11-2015, 12:07 PM
Banned

This letter that has been mentioned, is it a standard F&W form that they use or is it a letter that they have to write for each individual? Could someone post a copy of the letter on here? I intend to apply for the letter and it'd be great if I could get all of my ducks lined up in a row first. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:37 PM

The office administration types up the letter and what restrictions officer has noted. I am limited to my wmu.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:54 PM

Picking up road kills without documentation can land you in hot water. The ones I picked up last year I contacted an officer BEFORE collecting them. Then I took pictures and texted them and collected the proper exhibit paper to be able to possess the carcass, ASAP, the pictures showed my truck and plate number as well as the animal I collected....anything with antlers had to stay where I left it.

LC
Old 10-11-2015, 05:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Picking up road kills without documentation can land you in hot water. The ones I picked up last year I contacted an officer BEFORE collecting them. Then I took pictures and texted them and collected the proper exhibit paper to be able to possess the carcass, ASAP, the pictures showed my truck and plate number as well as the animal I collected....anything with antlers had to stay where I left it.

LC
You can legally pick roadkill up first and report it as soon as it is reasonable to do, Lefty. A couple of examples of doing it that way would be after normal office hours when you can't get in touch with anyone at F&W, or no cellphone reception. You don't have to leave the roadkill until you have contacted F&W under those types of circumstances.

If you salvaged roadkill for your personal consumption or as dog food, they'll send you a permit to have possession of it in your freezer. I have received them in the past but never for roadkill that I intended to use as bait for coyotes. Other offices may do something different but this has been my experience with the Spruce Grove and Barrhead offices.

I intend to contact the offices this week to see about the system that fellas have in place with their local offices and see if I can make similar arrangements. I'll post up the outcome this week.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:06 PM

Everything that is being talked about is in the letter and is quite clear not lawyer language. The letter I have is never real handy when I am online. And yes I can posses and declare when office is open next.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:15 PM
Banned

Bill, is it a form letter or something that they write up from scratch. I'm wondering if there may be a number on the bottom corner of the page that I could refer to (ie. GA129 or something like that).