Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-10-2015, 05:23 AM

Default road kill

just wondering if a guy is allowed to pick up road kill for bait.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:21 AM

With permission from F&W ..
Old 01-10-2015, 09:54 AM

Yes when I find one I park beside it and then call the fish cops ask sometimes they want me to text a picture but almost always get to take it.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:15 AM

I get a "occurrence" number issued to me at the beginning of each season. When I find any road kill I just call in that night and leave a message with my name, number, and area said animal will be used as bait. I've never had any issues with this system.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:29 AM

Default roadkill

Thanks guys you have been a lot of help.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:21 AM

The fish cop in my area where my line is , is very helpful. He wants me to call and leave a message as to where I find the roadkill and a description of where I put it. That way if someone finds it in the bush he will know it is not poached if he knows these details and doesn't need to waste his time. It works well that way I think. So far I haven't needed to call but one day I may find a roadkill to use
Old 01-10-2015, 11:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
I get a "occurrence" number issued to me at the beginning of each season. When I find any road kill I just call in that night and leave a message with my name, number, and area said animal will be used as bait. I've never had any issues with this system.
I have to arrange that for next year. I'm just wondering if you have to make arrangements with every F&W jurisdiction or will the occurrence number cover you in all jurisdictions. My travels take through two jurisdictions.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I have to arrange that for next year. I'm just wondering if you have to make arrangements with every F&W jurisdiction or will the occurrence number cover you in all jurisdictions. My travels take through two jurisdictions.
My line is actually in Saddle hills county but I never bother calling them. I find most of the bait in the county of Grande Prairie anyway so that's who I deal with. It's certainly worth asking them the question though Dave, much better to stay in their good books.
I had a young officer that didn't know me tell me one time I couldn't use the road killed moose I had found for bait, said he didn't want just anybody baiting wolves. I spoke with his supervisor and the next day I got a call from the young officer apologizing and pointing me towards a few other road kill sights that were reported to the office. He has been very helpful ever since that day.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:38 PM
Banned

I gather roadkills when I come across them but having an occurrence number would definitely be a lot easier than going through the whole process each time. I'll definitely be pursuing this for next season.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:28 AM

I don't know if the system works any differently for licensed trappers but I was looking into this for taxidermy practice. Call, bring the carcass, if they release it it's a $10 fee. That's what I found out anyways.

Image temporarily removed due to size.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHowler View Post
I don't know if the system works any differently for licensed trappers but I was looking into this for taxidermy practice. Call, bring the carcass, if they release it it's a $10 fee. That's what I found out anyways.
It depends on what type of roadkill you want to salvage and what you intend to use it for. If the critter is a protected animal then you have to purchase a permit to possesses it. It's the same if you want to mount the critter or keep the antlers.

For salvaging roadkill deer and moose for dog food or human consumption, there's no requirement to purchase a permit. If you salvage something for human consumption, ESRD will send you a permit for the meat that you put in the freezer. I haven't received a permit for roadkill that I intended to use as dog food/bait though.