Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-31-2009, 05:42 AM

Default RFMA Notification

For all you guys that have registered traplines, what do you do when a resource company does not give the proper notification before they start bull dosing lines to wells? What is the legal time line 10 days or 10 working days? My guys are coming back to me and just saying sorry and sorry about the disruption and carrying on with business.

Any advice or suggestions?
Old 12-31-2009, 08:11 AM

Send them an invoice for what they damaged and predicted fur lost. I don't have too much problem with the oil companies as they always mail me documentation on what they plan to do. The lumber companies however will walk all over you and not even consider compensation.
Buddy had a good idea the other day. Any time a new well, pipeline or cutblock goes in the registered holder should automatically recieve $500 for the interuption or any potential damage. It's then cut and dryed, over and done with. It can be a full time job trying to work with these guys when no one is listening.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:22 PM

Is this a new line that they are making or is it a old line that they are cleaning up? I believe that they have to give you notice of at least 14 days to give you a chance to move sets etc. The couple of oil companies that I have dealt with have been good at letting us know when they plan on coming in. I had one company that just cleaned a line once that had sets. I tracked the field guy down then asked for his bosses name. Then followed up with him about letting me know about the companies activies in the RFMA in the future. Then he asked me to invoice him for trap losses and time to move the rest that may have been at risk.

Most companies have a public relations person that may help. I just talked to a guy on the line yesterday that contacted us because of our signs to let them know that we are active trappers and how to contact us. Also if they are giving you a run around contact SRD as they have to go through them if they want to do anything out in the bush. Just my 2 cents worth. I hope that you can work it out.