Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-21-2019, 09:43 AM

Default Rest from a bench

What are you guys using to shoot off a bench?

I need to get a new setup, the rifle rest I have doesn’t work well with my AR style rifles and if I’m using a chrony it’s hard to swap between rests.

I’m thinking a taller bag in the front with 2 different rear bags. One short one for hunting rifles, tall one for AR stocks.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:51 AM

Mine is Sinclair’s lighter model. It is also less expensive. I’m also using the bald eagle rear bag with the handle.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-21-2019, 11:21 AM

Nothing fancy but functional the back rest is adjustable by removing a block.

Old 07-21-2019, 01:18 PM

Most of us use something similar to the two pics above.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:30 PM

rest i fab. protektor bags
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50E84BB8-02C0-48F3-A7FC-3AEAD9F41907.jpg (26.9 KB, 212 views)

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:05 PM

I use a variety of bags for bench shooting. Game changer, Pump pillow and a small rear bag or two.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:48 PM

This is the set up I favor for benching sporter rifles. Note: Small pieces of painters tape affixed to the stock make it easy to reset the rifle after recoil, so it sits in the same position for each shot in the group. IMO inconsistent resets are the most prevalent cause of poor groups.

Next is a look from the backside of the rest set up. For best results, it is critical that the centerline in rear bag matches the centerline in the saddle of the front rest. If setting the pistol grip on the stock about 1/2” back of where it will make contact with the rear bag (to absorb recoil), care must be taken to insure to reset the rear bag back to the pre-shot location...and be certain the bag has not been turned slightly.

Next is a look at how the forestock “fits” into the saddle on the front rest. This stock has a fairly flat bottom (KSA design sold by Wildcat) which makes it easier to handle in the rest as it wants to torque clockwise as the bullet “twists” it’s way down the bore. For best results, it is best for the contour of the bottom of the forestock to fit the shape of the saddle (primarily bottom and a little up the side).

I tried for a better pic of the saddle but looks like I got it a bit off center, but you get the idea. It has a fairly flat bottom that is not too thick so it remains “firm” but not “hard”. There is a bit of support for the sides of the forestock close to the bottom of the stock. Just enough contact to resist a bit of the torque roll, but not enough to impair the rearward recoil slide.

Last edited by 260 Rem; 07-22-2019 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:12 PM

I have been using a Caldwell Rock BR for a couple years. I have zero complaints about it and it serves me well.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:24 PM

Every time 260Rem gives me tips at the range, my shooting seems to improve. Do what he says...
Old 07-22-2019, 09:43 PM

260Rem, is that rear rest custom or store bought?

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2019, 09:57 PM

A couple of things that I watch:: Make sure the sling stud sits far enough forward of the saddle on the front rest to insure it does not make contact (touching typically induces stringing high). And, that the rear sling stud is not resting on the rear bag...so there needs to be enough “drop” behind the ears.
When choosing a rear bag I want one with short bunny ears because the tall ears sometimes contact sporter stocks with cheek pieces....which pushes the stock to one side as it slides back. Or just choose a stock with no cheekpiece.
Another feature I look for in a rear bag is one that has a good lenth-to-height ratio. If they are short back-to-front...and tall...they tend to “rock” back as the rifle recoils. Rocking is not good
Old 07-22-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSlam View Post
260Rem, is that rear rest custom or store bought?
It’s an Edgewood ... was purchased by a buddy ...from Sinclair (now also Brownells) in the US. I don’t know of any CDN dealers but there are similar styles available in Canada that are probably just as good. If thinking of ordering one out of the US, just get the empty bag. That heavy sand is pricey to ship.
The idea with the back bag is that it needs to be “firm” ... not much give so it retains its shape. That means it is best to use sand as fill. Other media tends to change shape under recoil which is not good.
Another thing I look for in the rear bag is a bit of space between the ears (like in one of my pics above)...because most sporter stocks are “rounded” on the bottom behind the pistol grip... and they fit better with the “space” between the ears. I think BR type stocks are more “V’d” on the bottom, so they probably fit better with less space?
EDIT: Not sure what brand the one in Chucks set up is...but I ve seen them at the Range and they look to have similar features to the Edgewood.

Last edited by 260 Rem; 07-22-2019 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:05 AM

Currently using an older Benchmaster. Works ok, but looking for better alternatives.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:16 AM
Shooting Xs

Rock BR front rest with some modifications for smoother performance. Protektor bags, fronts are a#2 medium owl ear for hunting stocks and a custom #3 square ear with Slick Silver material for bench rest type stocks. Rear bag is a #14A Bunny ear for it's solid hard bottom feature, as 260 mentioned the soft bottom is rounded and rocks too much. Order them direct ,use the unfilled shipping option you'll have them in a week.
https://protektormodel.com/collections/all
The Edgewood's from Sinclair are very good but pricey, not sure if they ship unfilled,that heavy sand adds $'s to the shipping for sure.
I thought I read some one in Alta. was carrying Bald Eagle bags like Chucks,also a very good product.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:31 PM

DLab...thanks for posting the ProteKtor link...their Bumble Bee series looks like it has many of the features I like in the Edgewood (hard bottom, 3/8 ear separation).
Another of my preferences is that the rear bag has sufficient height to insure I do not need to “stack”. Stacking introduces another variable that can be tough to replicate shot-to-shot.

Also, regarding the front rest bags with the Velcro attachment strips on the bottom ...will often “rock” unless they are really well secured. If using that style of bag on the front, I would be taping the heck out of it to make sure it could not move in the saddle. During initial set-up, it is a good idea to take a very close look at what is happening with the front bag as you pull the rifle back an inch ...for repeatability, the bag should not move...even a smidgeon. If it moves, use the rest of the roll of your electrical tape
Old 07-23-2019, 02:08 PM
Shooting Xs

Electrical tape...Pffffttt...real men use Gorilla brand Duct tape.If you can't fix it with Duct tape...you're not using enough.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:43 PM

Some great info guys and thanks for the links.
I just spent some hard earned money on a new set of Protektor bags!
Old 07-23-2019, 07:47 PM

I use the same Edgewood rear bag as 260 Rem. I ordered the heavy zircon sand from Sinclair’s, it was $19.00 but the shipping was $62.00.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I use the same Edgewood rear bag as 260 Rem. I ordered the heavy zircon sand from Sinclair’s, it was $19.00 but the shipping was $62.00.
In the end, it was probably money well spent given that not all sand types are created equal. It is my understanding that some (more common sand types) “kernels” are smooth/round, whereas the zircon kernels are of the type that are sharp/irregular shaped. Although the former can be packed pretty tight they can remain somewhat “fluid” which permits the bag to change its shape. However, the zircon basically “locks” together which helps the bag retain/maintain its shape shot-to-shot. That being said, I suspect only 1% of shooters will reap the benefits offered by zircon. But, for those shooters like myself that need to take advantage of every little “trick”, zircon is the way to go. IIRC there is a foundry in Eastern Canada that sells zircon.
And yes, weight counts.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:10 PM

Some good reading in here. Has anyone ever used the Caldwell tack driver rest? Was thinking of getting one. I usually just shoot with a short bipod and a sand bag in the Rear.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
In the end, it was probably money well spent given that not all sand types are created equal. It is my understanding that some (more common sand types) “kernels” are smooth/round, whereas the zircon kernels are of the type that are sharp/irregular shaped. Although the former can be packed pretty tight they can remain somewhat “fluid” which permits the bag to change its shape. However, the zircon basically “locks” together which helps the bag retain/maintain its shape shot-to-shot. That being said, I suspect only 1% of shooters will reap the benefits offered by zircon. But, for those shooters like myself that need to take advantage of every little “trick”, zircon is the way to go. IIRC there is a foundry in Eastern Canada that sells zircon.
And yes, weight counts.
Isn’t zircon sand radioactive?
Old 08-01-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Isn’t zircon sand radioactive?
No it is not I found answer.
Sorry Rem260 for bothering
Old 08-02-2019, 09:12 AM

New bags came in yesterday. Great service from Protektor!
Love the bags and they're definitely a step up from Caldwell bags.
Can't wait to try them out.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:14 AM
Banned

no wonder some of you guys shoot one hole groups!

i cut the legs off a pair of blue jeans, filled them with sand out of the nearby gravel pit, and got my better half to sew them shut.

i know everyone is a different level of dedicated, but if i can't get my banger close enough with my setup i will quit hunting.

have clobbered 'yotes passed 600 yds, so think i must be doing something right.

for those of you who are one hole shooters, carry on.......i know there are better systems than the one i use.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post

i cut the legs off a pair of blue jeans, filled them with sand out of the nearby gravel pit, and got my better half to sew them shut.

i know everyone is a different level of dedicated, but if i can't get my banger close enough with my setup i will quit hunting.

for those of you who are one hole shooters, carry on.......i know there are better systems than the one i use.
Sometimes, if the fence post that I'm using as a rest wiggles, I'll move over to the next one.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEyes View Post
Some good reading in here. Has anyone ever used the Caldwell tack driver rest? Was thinking of getting one. I usually just shoot with a short bipod and a sand bag in the Rear.
My experience with Caldwell bags is that they are low quality. The seams of the bags separate easily. I have had some bags where the seams started to separate when just filling the bags with sand. Caldwell cuts the panels to a minimum dimension, needle holes when sewn are right on the very edge of the material. It takes very little to separate the seams.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that setup.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-23-2019, 09:04 PM

Found good deal on The Caldwell Rock BR Competition Rifle Front Shooting Rest in USA Caldwell selling them for 124 USD.
Wonder how much would be delivery cost?
Does anybody have experience buying rests from USA?
Thanks!
Old 11-23-2019, 09:16 PM

I use a Caldwell Rock, with two different width from bags, and two different height leather rear bags, to provide a better fit for different rifles.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:51 PM

Excellent tip on the painter's tape to reset the position of the rest and rear bag in relation to the stock - thank's 260 - something I didn't pay quite "as much" attention to I guess. I just would reset in the "same position" but was eyeballing it.