Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-06-2019, 05:30 AM
mickeyjim mickeyjim is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 241
Default New fly rod

Lost my fly rod so looking to get a new one. Don't use it much any more so don't want to spend a pile. Any recommendations on a rig for under $500? I seen that temple forks has a sale on professional 2 series rod and NV reel for $400. Anybody have any experience with those rods?


Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-06-2019, 07:36 AM
Prairiewolf's Avatar
Prairiewolf Prairiewolf is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Calgary
Posts: 896
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyjim View Post
Lost my fly rod so looking to get a new one. Don't use it much any more so don't want to spend a pile. Any recommendations on a rig for under $500? I seen that temple forks has a sale on professional 2 series rod and NV reel for $400. Anybody have any experience with those rods?


Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
You're on the right track. TF were my first rods and even though I've spent more money on others since I don't notice much of a difference. I actually have more confidence in the TF when I'm bushwacking into tough areas. Buy with confidence.
__________________
-------------------------------------------------------

They don't get big by being dumb.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-06-2019, 07:49 AM
Bushrat's Avatar
Bushrat Bushrat is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,703
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyjim View Post
Lost my fly rod so looking to get a new one. Don't use it much any more so don't want to spend a pile. Any recommendations on a rig for under $500? I seen that temple forks has a sale on professional 2 series rod and NV reel for $400. Anybody have any experience with those rods?


Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
have a Professional II 8'5" 4 weight. Decent rod for the money, it's not a fast action rod, rather limber bends full length. I use it mostly for dry fly fishing trout in creeks and medium sized rivers. A decent inexpensive rod for general use would be the Fenwick AETOS, not the greatest hardware or prettiest rod, but a great general purpose rod that won't break the bank. Every time I see them in a store I pick them up and play with them, am tempted to get one for a spare. Have rods that cost more but the Aetos has a nice medium fast action, casts a line as good or better than some higher priced rods.

A few fly rod comparisons here:

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/ge...ton-air-sage-x
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-06-2019, 08:44 AM
caddisfly7's Avatar
caddisfly7 caddisfly7 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Peace Country
Posts: 100
Default

I donít have enough experience handling a bunch of different fly rods yet. But I just picked up a Fenwick Aetos 6 wt. to replace my TFO NXT 5/6 wt (that entry level package). After a couple outings I really like it.

Also have a TFO Finesse Series 4 wt. I have tried a few friends 4 wts (Redington, St. Croix) and prefer mine for sure.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-06-2019, 09:01 AM
haggis57 haggis57 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 36
Default

I've been using a 5 wt Professional as my main trout rod for 10 years and have been very happy with it. I've never found a reason to upgrade to anything else. It certainly has the backbone to deal with the fall winds in the Oldman - Livingstone area. It can also handle reasonable size streamers on the Bow on occasion. I've also been using a 7 wt Professional for 8 years for stillwater trout fishing in the Manitoba Parkland and last winter I picked up a slightly used 6wt Professional II as a second rod for stillwater fishing.

Being able to get replacement rod sections right in Calgary is big plus as well. And yes I have 1st hand experience with the replacement service - both involved operator error! I don't have any experience with TFO reels. Bass Pro used to offer good rod-reel-line packages for the TFO Professionals - I bought my 5 wt and 7 wt that way.

Here's a decent review
https://patagoniaflyfisherman.com/tf...fly-rod-review

There's also a fairly long winded review on YouTube.

Ken
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-06-2019, 07:28 PM
aiceeslater aiceeslater is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 16
Default

I own a 9í 6wt TFO Pro II and itís great. From what I can compare it to, there isnít a better ďbang for your buckĒ rod out there. I bushwhack a ton, it stays in the work truck (in a case) and gets banged around, Iíve walked into trees with it, folded it over hitting the bank while it was in a rod holder in a boat going down a fast river.

In general, Iím hard on gear and this has stood the test. And if it ever does break I believe thereís a $30 no questions asked repair deal they offer. This rod also gets used for everything. Dries to big articulated and weighted streamers. One day Iíll buy a $700-$1000 rod but will have a tough time setting aside the one that did it all and stood up through the abuse.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-06-2019, 07:43 PM
mickeyjim mickeyjim is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 241
Default

Thanks for the advice guys

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-08-2019, 12:39 PM
stein's Avatar
stein stein is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 34
Default

someone found a rod/reel on the fly fusion forum, could be yours?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-18-2019, 05:49 AM
ShortsideK ShortsideK is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 332
Default

You get what you pay for...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-18-2019, 01:31 PM
chinchaga07's Avatar
chinchaga07 chinchaga07 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 125
Default

Take a look at Moonshine rods. Very nice looking rods, beautiful to cast and a nice price point. Come with a lifetime warranty and two tip sections.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-18-2019, 06:00 PM
Remps17 Remps17 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 75
Default

I would buy used if that is your budget. Can get a few year old high end rod for under 500. Like someone said before you get what you pay for. Thatís is very true for fly rods.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-18-2019, 10:16 PM
Mr Flyguy Mr Flyguy is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 721
Default

You don't need a high end rod to learn and enjoy fly fishing. Years ago I had some cheapo glass rods and caught as many trout as today with some fancy Sages, Winstons, and Hardys.
__________________
I fish, therefore I am.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-19-2019, 06:10 AM
Bushrat's Avatar
Bushrat Bushrat is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,703
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
You don't need a high end rod to learn and enjoy fly fishing. Years ago I had some cheapo glass rods and caught as many trout as today with some fancy Sages, Winstons, and Hardys.
Very true, most of us can't cast well enough to use the potential of the high dollar rods anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-19-2019, 10:03 AM
MK2750's Avatar
MK2750 MK2750 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sylvan Lake
Posts: 2,782
Default

Might as well huck all them there Cooper and Sako rifles as well, I've only met a hand full of people in my life that can out shoot a Savage Axis. Italian shotguns, who needs em, Mossy 500 combo with a handful of shells will kill most anything that flys.

Ignorance is bliss, TFO is a stretch to entry level at best. Chinese blanks with cheap components; second rate compared to Redington, Cabelas and Fenwick offerings and at a higher price.

The ability to buy a rod piece for full retail value is convenient but hardly an example of a stellar warranty.

Nice fly rods take years to master and even if one doesn't reach a level where the full potential of a rod is realized, at least one knows it is their short comings and not inferior equipment that is limiting their results.

To the OP, I would try as many fly rods as you can lay your hands on and buy what truly speaks to you. A $400 budget will get you into a very nice used or closeout fly rod. You can hold back on a top end reel as long as you get something that balances your rig nicely. I have several top end rods by Sage, Loop and Hardy and paid less for each than your budget. They weren't considered the latest and greatest at the time but by doing research the rods I have are still much more popular than their "new and improved" replacements. A couple example are the Sage Z-Axis and Hardy Zenith. In the 4, 5 or 6 weights these things are as good as they get for all around trout fishing.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-19-2019, 02:32 PM
ShortsideK ShortsideK is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 332
Default

Well put MK2750.

I said it before and I'll say it again... I LIKE the way this guy thinks!

We think a lot alike.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-19-2019, 05:58 PM
Mr Flyguy Mr Flyguy is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 721
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Might as well huck all them there Cooper and Sako rifles as well, I've only met a hand full of people in my life that can out shoot a Savage Axis. Italian shotguns, who needs em, Mossy 500 combo with a handful of shells will kill most anything that flys.

Ignorance is bliss, TFO is a stretch to entry level at best. Chinese blanks with cheap components; second rate compared to Redington, Cabelas and Fenwick offerings and at a higher price.

The ability to buy a rod piece for full retail value is convenient but hardly an example of a stellar warranty.

Nice fly rods take years to master and even if one doesn't reach a level where the full potential of a rod is realized, at least one knows it is their short comings and not inferior equipment that is limiting their results.

To the OP, I would try as many fly rods as you can lay your hands on and buy what truly speaks to you. A $400 budget will get you into a very nice used or closeout fly rod. You can hold back on a top end reel as long as you get something that balances your rig nicely. I have several top end rods by Sage, Loop and Hardy and paid less for each than your budget. They weren't considered the latest and greatest at the time but by doing research the rods I have are still much more popular than their "new and improved" replacements. A couple example are the Sage Z-Axis and Hardy Zenith. In the 4, 5 or 6 weights these things are as good as they get for all around trout fishing.
Best ever Sage rod IMHO was the XP, but they had to "improve" it.
__________________
I fish, therefore I am.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-19-2019, 06:37 PM
Dubious Dubious is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 573
Default

Tfo is a great rod for there price. The vortex style warranty makes me not ever hesitate with mine lending it to friends, kids or people who still think the og berkley flyrods from the early 90ís are just as good and anything on the market.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-19-2019, 07:12 PM
MK2750's Avatar
MK2750 MK2750 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sylvan Lake
Posts: 2,782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Best ever Sage rod IMHO was the XP, but they had to "improve" it.
ZXL 486, made by Sage but a gift from God.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-20-2019, 06:16 PM
Mr Flyguy Mr Flyguy is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 721
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
ZXL 486, made by Sage but a gift from God.
Yes, I have a ZXL 690 which I reserve for the September/October backswimmer days.
__________________
I fish, therefore I am.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.