Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-09-2019, 04:03 PM

Default Fired Brass

Just curious if it is better to run fired brass through a full length resize dye or use a neck sizer dye,I’m not positive but I thought I heard someone say it’s better to use a neck sizer only,thank you for any and all reply’s
Old 07-09-2019, 04:14 PM

I prefer to full length resize brass for a hunting rifle. I don’t want to have any issues chambering the round in the field is how I think about it. I have played around with other methods and haven’t noticed any difference in accuracy. I would be curious to hear others thoughts on the difference in accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2019, 04:38 PM

If the brass is from your rifle and will only be used in the rifle it was shot in your ok to neck size. Otherwise your using fireformed brass in a rifle that it wasn’t formed in and you could have chambering issues. I full length size everything and haven’t had any issues.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:46 PM

Default Same

The brass will be once fired from the riffle in question,does it change P O I from neck size to full length sizing ? Or help in accuracy ?
Old 07-09-2019, 04:54 PM

The biggest benefit in neck sizing, is less working of the cases, which improves case life. I generally run the cases through a neck die, until they no longer chamber without resistance, then I bump the shoulder back, and resume neck sizing. In any case, I chamber the cases for my hunting loads after sizing, to make sure that they chamber easily, before loading them.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:06 PM

Some are of the opinion that NK sized brass better “fits” the chamber than FL sized and consequently is more “accurate/consistent” but IME, that is not the case. The main benefit of NK sizing only is that it likely improves the service life of the brass. And, sooner or later, NK sized brass will need to be FL sized. Any change made during brass prep can change downrange results which means that NK sized brass may not give the same POI as FL sized brass.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Some are of the opinion that NK sized brass better “fits” the chamber than FL sized and consequently is more “accurate/consistent” but IME, that is not the case. The main benefit of NK sizing only is that it likely improves the service life of the brass. And, sooner or later, NK sized brass will need to be FL sized. Any change made during brass prep can change downrange results which means that NK sized brass may not give the same POI as FL sized brass.
I agree.

As an aside, I just sent fired cases to Whidden Gun Works for a custom FL sizing die. These dies will size the case minimally. Trouble is, you should have your own reamer so that the next barrel can use the same die.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-09-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I agree.
As an aside, I just sent fired cases to Whidden Gun Works for a custom FL sizing die. These dies will size the case minimally. Trouble is, you should have your own reamer so that the next barrel can use the same die.
And that should have benefits.
For some of the cartridges I shoot/load, the chamber reamer specs are just a tickle over those of the sizer die. Typically, I only need to lube every fifth case during FL resizing, and brass life frequently exceeds 20 reloads.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:35 PM

I have tried neck sizing but have experienced feeding problems. Prefer to full length size and once I am done test feed the loads in my hunting rifle in a safe place. Would hate to have a once in a lifetime opportunity & the cartridge won't fit the chamber. If it means being harder on brass it's a price I'm willing to pay for reliability.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:22 AM

I prefer to neck size as well primarily because I hate lubing and cleaning cases. Also in my case where I am looking for consistent 1 moa accuracy I doubt neck sizing vs full length makes a difference. And I have noticed that for one of my rifles after 3-4 firings I did have to buy a full length sizing die as well as they were getting hard to chamber. This is in a 7mm-08 so not a hot rod cartridge. I have not shot the full length sized cartridges yet but if I don't notice a change in accuracy I may just full length size for consistency rather than having to do it every 4 firings and introducing inconsistency into the mix.

For bench rest accuracy or long range shooting you might notice a difference between neck sizing and full length but your reloading practices would have to be pretty consistent and your shooting. I am certainly not at that level yet.

Cheers
Old 07-13-2019, 04:10 PM

Default tks

thank you to all who replied i will deff watch for feeding issues and keep the full length resizer dye and use it if when i have any issues.tis again i appreciate all the help
Old 07-13-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
thank you to all who replied i will deff watch for feeding issues and keep the full length resizer dye and use it if when i have any issues.tis again i appreciate all the help
All NK die designs do not function similarly, or produce identical results.

IMHE, there is great variability in output size of similar cases sized in various SAAMI spec FL dies, (all adjusted for full contact with shell holder).

In addition to die design, function & SAAMI compliance, IMHE case neck wall consistency can affect results.

I suggest you search this site for "partial resizing", "shoulder bunp" and similar, and
use both CHTD (Case Head To shoulder Datum) and CHTO (Case Head To Ogive) comparator attachments for your beam caliper.

If you carefully log your results, you can determine what YOUR gun likes best.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:57 PM
Banned

OP might wanna join a more precision shooting oriented forum for more info.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
Recommendations?
Old 07-13-2019, 07:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
Recommendations?
http://forum.accurateshooter.com/

Even CGN

The more people on the forum the more info out there imo. Doesn't hurt to ask other boards. Not saying people here don't know their stuff.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:50 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
Besides this recommendation another option is to buy an excellent reloading book called "Handloading for Competition" by Glen Zediker. He covers all topics in an easy to understand manner. Good luck.