Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 05-03-2013, 07:25 PM

Default River Otter

Was hunting beaver the other evening when a otter swam by crawled up on ice andd started barking two more joined him/her never saw one in this country before any one else had this experance? Spotted north west of Peace River Alta.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:42 PM

I've seen them in the Peace in the Hines Creek area. Seem to be getting more common around here. I've seen barking by its self. Haven't seen them in a group like you have yet.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:39 PM

Talking

was elk hunting a couple of years ago north of valleyview, spotted a few in the little smokey , had a whole family come down river climb a 30 ft bank , and slid down into the river lasted 10 mins , and then they were off, my friends have trapped many in swan hills,, ft. Assiniboine area, I seen a really big one while spring bear hunting in 350 north of ft. assiniboine, there are a lot more river otters than people seem to think they can sure clean up a pile of fish and beavers(babie's)
Old 05-07-2013, 06:35 PM

I posted a photo of one I caught in my beaver traps { accidental catch}here on the forum a couple months ago . They are rare in my area south of Lethbridge , first I've ever seen here . Got mixed reviews from a number of people , some thought it was alright , some were downright upset at the whole deal .Learned a lot about them as I researched them later . Turns out there was another one with him , guessing a pair , as I found tracks a couple days later and a guy saw one 2 weeks ago .
Old 05-07-2013, 10:20 PM

I have a very small population on the Sheep creek and the Kakwa. I was crossing the sheep one time on a bridge when I heard a chirping sound and looked down and saw an otter bobbing up and down giving me hell. I also see their tracks in the winter going from one open water hole to another. I think they're a tough animal.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:59 AM

Default Otter

I was jet boating on the North Sask. River last weekend west of Keephills and saw one. Also saw them there last year. Had the family with me both times, kids enjoyed seeing something new and different.
I have a bud who guilds on the river, has for 17 years, we ran into him out there and he has never spotted one.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:27 PM

hwilhelm, have you learned to operate that boat. I remember the time you drove it right up on the back of ..................oh forget it. Besides, you're so ugly your wife would rather kiss a pike. Hope this helps.
Doug
Old 05-14-2013, 08:26 PM

Seen 5 in blue lake two years ago probably enjoying the stocked rainbows. Pretty cool animals
Old 05-14-2013, 09:21 PM

3 up by buck lake in beaver pond x.... Walked upon them while hunting... They had made a small hole in the ice on 2 sides of the dam( high side and low side)....& they were sliding down and wresting like children ... I was captivated for over 20 minutes until the crows circling lower and lower sent them back under ice.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:34 AM

I just about ran over one on hwy 40 between GC and Hinton a couple days ago right at the hay river. Bugger ran right out in the middle of the road. Probably sick of all the rain and was looking for a dry spot lol. Used to see them pretty often on the pine and peace rivers on the bc side while floating. Interesting critter.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:27 AM
Banned

you wont believe this, but i know of a family of 4 of them living within 15 miles of medicine hat.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
you wont believe this, but i know of a family of 4 of them living within 15 miles of medicine hat.
I believe ya , very little surprises me in the wildlife world now .
Old 06-18-2013, 11:01 PM

Guys,

They are all over the Rocky Mtn. Hse. Area . Have seen about 20 in the past 4 years. Saw none in the past 50 years till 4 years ago.
Saw one in Cow lake yesteday.
Govt apparently stocked them along the Eastern Slopes according to a Freedom of Info request.

Don