Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-26-2013, 01:35 PM

Default Yehaw, finally did it!

My daughter woke me up this morning and she said she wanted to go muskratting. I told her there were no traps out for muskrats but we could go check the beaver traps. She was pumped up and excited. She has been Muskratting with me quite a few times and loves it. First thing she said when I pulled the beaver up out of the water was WOW daddy it is one big muskrat!!!

Here are a few rats we pulled out the other day as well. Think i got well over 80 now!
Old 04-26-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
My daughter woke me up this morning and she said she wanted to go muskratting. I told her there were no traps out for muskrats but we could go check the beaver traps. She was pumped up and excited. She has been Muskratting with me quite a few times and loves it. First thing she said when I pulled the beaver up out of the water was WOW daddy it is one big muskrat!!!

Here are a few rats we pulled out the other day as well. Think i got well over 80 now!
Mmmmmm looks tasty!! You would be surprised how good they actually are!

D

Old 04-26-2013, 01:45 PM

I guess I will have a beaver carcass for sale so if your that hungry give me a shout
Old 04-26-2013, 04:20 PM

Nice catch!!!

Wanted to up load some pictures of a couple beaver sets and the results of the last two days but my drop box does not want to down load my pictures from the phone.
Will try again this weekend.

TEH

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I guess I will have a beaver carcass for sale so if your that hungry give me a shout
Cute little trapping partner you got there. Just curious, are you alowed to sell the meat from a beaver? I know you can't sell wild game but I don't know about the trapping end of it.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:09 PM

Priceless!!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
Cute little trapping partner you got there. Just curious, are you alowed to sell the meat from a beaver? I know you can't sell wild game but I don't know about the trapping end of it.
She is a real trooper. She gets so excited to go out.
As far as the carcasses go u can sell them. Most guys use them for bear bait.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:51 PM

Default Bever

My son and daughter are just as excited to see every trapp. They always be me to the trapp check so they can inform me what's there
Old 04-26-2013, 10:54 PM

Nice story and the pictures are cute. good on you for spending some one on one with your girl.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:14 AM

Cool pics. Glad to see you take the kids out. Mine love coming out to check the line, or just go beaver hunting.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:21 AM

It's easy to get them out when they beg to come She has a great attitude and it is a good chance to spend some good time teaching her all the things I can while she will listen. They are only with you for a short time as they grow so fast. In another 6 years she probably won't even talk to me
Old 04-27-2013, 11:51 AM

Default Beaver

Congratulations! You can cook and eat beaver and its actually pretty good in stew. Might be worth a try instead of wasting it feeding the bears.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:35 PM

Good on you to take the kids along ,im sure lots of kids would like the experience thanks for posting.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:09 PM

Nice pics Nube!
Old 04-27-2013, 10:11 PM

So the trapping bug is catching on. Now my nieces and nephews wanted to come since the kids have been talking about it. I took 5 kids under 10 years old tonight to check the traps. Nothing but one little muskrat that found the beaver set again!!! Doesn't look like much beaver sign there so I think I got the last one. I am done for the year now. Took the traps out. The good thing was the landowner came down and he had found me permission on about 5 of his neighbors places now. I went and took the kids to meet a couple of them and it looks like I have about 10 lodges to hit next winter now. I need to buy some more 330's and get my gear in order now. Will spend the summer getting permission as well. My goal for next winter is 120 rats 100 coyotes and 25 beaver. Should be fun!
Old 04-27-2013, 10:15 PM

Haha! Love her face in the first pic. Little cutie.

What a good dad!
Old 04-27-2013, 11:27 PM

Default Kids

I always take as many young ones I can. Today I took three out and one was a newly Alberta trapper certified female who is 13 who got here trappers licence payed for by the south country trappers association. We go four rats and allot of fun playing in the slough. Kids are a big inspiration for me they see things allot different and make me slow down and look at the little things, I should be 8 again. Mabe that's why I always take them