Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-23-2017, 06:00 PM

Default Auto Charge Powder Dispenser

Tired of the slow process to get the powder grain weight accurate using volume measurement methods...... Considering an Auto Charge Powder Dispenser......

Anyone have suggestions regarding, is it worth the money to do this? Are they reliable?
Old 07-23-2017, 10:24 PM

Used the hornady one for a couple years. It was good. Had some quirks to it but saved so much time.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:13 PM

I have an older Lyman DPS 1200 that I use on a fairly regular basis..can't speak to any of the other/newer rigs. First, it is not much faster than a good beam scale with damper, but it is "mindless"...which makes it nice. Second, I think the electronics are pretty accurate but I still place more trust in the beam...using the latter for initial load development, and the electronic for "non fussy" loading. If mine broke down, I would buy another one.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:05 AM

I have the RCBS auto dispenser and it's nice. I wish I had bought it when I first started reloading because it's quite a time savings when doing a hundred rifle rounds. Filling the case is a bit faster, and the workflow is also more efficient.

If you look around the most frequently reported problem with these units is sometimes the keys stop working, at least intermittently. On some forum I can't find again I read that maybe they fixed that defect in newer units. If not RCBS has a good warranty even if it's annoying for Canadians.

I decided a few bad reviews wouldn't put me off and so far so great. I put my balance away too because the digital scale is equally accurate. I don't think it has ever been more than 0.1 grains different from the beam unless it needed calibration.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:14 PM
Banned

I use an RCBS Chargemaster. If I do my part in terms of what RCBS recommends, I have no issue charging loads to optimal accuracy. I power up my unit a half hour before using it to let the electronics warm up. It is set up level. there are no unwanted air flow across it, I calibrate every time. I do keep an RCBS balance scale to verify it, it hasn't lied to me yet. I have no issues using it for precision loading. I have made modifications to the charging programming depending on whether I use a ball powder vs an extruded powder. And I do use the McDonald straw as well.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:17 PM

Default Auto Charge Powder Dispenser

Thanks Peebles, gitrdun. Mateo, 260 Rem....

I like the concept of automating the powder loading process to save time and without loss of accuracy so I think I will buy one soon despite a few negative reports by a minority of owners.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:50 AM

I just received and started using my RCBS chargmaster and so far so good. I love the time savings!
Old 07-25-2017, 06:58 AM
Banned

I also have a Lyman DPS 1200. It works well. I won't be using a manual scale again.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:29 AM

Tried Lyman and RCBS. Sold both, went back to throwing charges with a Lyman 55. Far faster than the electric versions, but I like to throw all my powder, then seat bullets. If you throw one, seat one, the electric throwers will speed things up.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
I just received and started using my RCBS chargmaster and so far so good. I love the time savings!
where did you buy yours Klay?
Old 07-25-2017, 10:05 AM

I also use an RCBS Chargemaster. Calibrate each time before use (doesn't take long) and it's been very precise so far.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I use an RCBS Chargemaster. If I do my part in terms of what RCBS recommends, I have no issue charging loads to optimal accuracy. I power up my unit a half hour before using it to let the electronics warm up. It is set up level. there are no unwanted air flow across it, I calibrate every time. I do keep an RCBS balance scale to verify it, it hasn't lied to me yet. I have no issues using it for precision loading. I have made modifications to the charging programming depending on whether I use a ball powder vs an extruded powder. And I do use the McDonald straw as well.
Lots of other Chargemaster users chimed in so I just wanted to reiterate gitrdun's post. All of this advice is important for Chargemaster users, especially the ability to reprogram the dispensing speed and to use a McDonald's straw to help with trickle accuracy. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:56 PM

Anybody get there hands on the chargemaster lite yet?