Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-22-2017, 12:45 PM

Default Moving my guns from the US.

I have my PAL and restricted license since moving up from Texas. I left a large fire arm collection down south and now I'm interested in importing them. I know the rules related what is allowed.

But, I'm interested the "how" of getting them across the border. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2017, 01:06 PM

When you moved up they should have been listed on a document called "goods to Follow" but my information is very much dated as to what was required 10 or more years ago. think it is more complicated now depending on whether shotguns or rifles or both and if restricted. Might get lots of opinions here but suggest going to Customs with a written question and answer as far as getting into Canada now as well as rules from the US side for export temporary or permanent status.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:16 PM

Contact prophet river firearms in lloydminster. Clay runs an awesome business and is a top notch importer for firearms from the states.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 07-23-2017, 09:02 AM

You will need to deal with atf regarding export. Depending on what your status is in Canada (Canadian returning, new permanent resident, temporary resident on a work or study permit), importing shouldn't be an issue since you already have a RPAL. WWbirds is right regarding a "goods to follow" list if you are coming in as a returning Canadian or a new permanent resident. Realistically though, if you can articulate that you've owned the firearms before coming to Canada, it shouldn't matter if you don't have them listed in your "goods to follow".
Old 07-23-2017, 01:38 PM

Contact clay at PR and have him import them. Do NOT show up at the border with any firearms when moving (or in your case, having already moved) regardless of what the royal gestapo or CBSA tells you, they will be confiscated or you will be turned around. They have 'discretion' and no oversight.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:17 PM

Call the border services and ask them. You can bring non restricted firearms across yourself if you declare it pay the duty and have the appropriate license.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:30 PM

Default Bringing firearms to canada

Call Prophet River. They do this all the time and it is seemless
Old 07-24-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty View Post
Call the border services and ask them. You can bring non restricted firearms across yourself if you declare it pay the duty and have the appropriate license.
Yea, I do not believe you would have to pay duty on your own goods. Where did you get this shiny nugget of information??
Old 07-27-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Contact clay at PR and have him import them. Do NOT show up at the border with any firearms when moving (or in your case, having already moved) regardless of what the royal gestapo or CBSA tells you, they will be confiscated or you will be turned around. They have 'discretion' and no oversight.
Where'd you get this info from? He already has a licence, so his non-restricted firearms should be fine to bring up (again, you still need to deal with atf). As for his restricted firearms, the CBSA will hold them until they're registered. He'll need to check with the CFC to figure out that process.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybert View Post
Where'd you get this info from? He already has a licence, so his non-restricted firearms should be fine to bring up (again, you still need to deal with atf). As for his restricted firearms, the CBSA will hold them until they're registered. He'll need to check with the CFC to figure out that process.
True, but it is the EXPORTING from the US that is the problem. The importer will look after the Canadian International Import Certificate and filing the DSP-83 and whatever else is required these days.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytop B View Post
True, but it is the EXPORTING from the US that is the problem. The importer will look after the Canadian International Import Certificate and filing the DSP-83 and whatever else is required these days.
Different rules if he's an American. In their eyes(ATF), it's a temporary exportation because he can re-import at any time.