Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-13-2017, 05:04 PM

Default Carbon Icon

Went to Jimbows today and talked with Carson I think the name was. Great guy!
I ended up shooting the Carbon Icon and shot it in the 2 settings it had. I did well with the lower setting that was made for a nice smooth pull etc. I got some good groups and it felt good. Then I went to the next setting and it was a bit more snappy and not such a great ride lol
My groups went to crap as well.
I really liked the bow and the price was great but one thing I didn't like was the speed. It says it is a 335 IBO bow.
Question is how big of a deal is 15 FPS at 60 yards? Some say it is a lot and others say no biggy?

I also have a buddy with a Bowteck Destroyer 350 I am going to try out and borrow if it feels good for me too. That has a bit of speed to it so I got to find out if it shoots good for me.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I ended up shooting the Carbon Icon and shot it in the 2 settings it had. I did well with the lower setting that was made for a nice smooth pull etc. I got some good groups and it felt good. Then I went to the next setting and it was a bit more snappy and not such a great ride lol
I really liked the bow and the price was great but one thing I didn't like was the speed. It says it is a 335 IBO bow.
Question is how big of a deal is 15 FPS at 60 yards? Some say it is a lot and others say no biggy?

I also have a buddy with a Bowteck Destroyer 350 I am going to try out and borrow if it feels good for me too. That has a bit of speed to it so I got to find out if it shoots good for me.
15fps is nothing...IBO is measureed 30" draw/70lbs/350gr arrow. So you will
Never hunt at "IBO" anyhow and very few shoot at those specs.

At 60 yards the biggest thing to worry about is form and arrow placement 15fps should be the last thing in your mind.

Not many bows have a 350 IBO anyhow, 330-340 is pretty standard. The D350 is a 6" brace bow that will likely feel more snappy than an icon on performance.

LC
Old 07-13-2017, 06:24 PM

Nada, nothing, zip. Pin gap won't be an issue on most sights, and you can always go hybrid or adjustable. The critters won't know the difference. Shoot the bow you shoot well above all else.

That being said, talking about 60 yard shots when setting up a new bow.... I think it was cam Hanes that said this, but archery is roughly 10x harder than shooting a rifle (at game). Almost everybody can hit at 10/100 yards respectively. It takes some practice but 30/300 is achieveable. 40/400 requires dedication. 50/500 and further requires all of the above, the right equipment and the right conditions. We know you are a good shot and have had great hunting success, but how many animals have you killed at 600 yards? How many times are the conditions right for that? Same deal. Sheep (and moose) fall into that category that can be taken at distance, in that they don't tend to move fast or jump the string. But a 60 yard shot on a living animal is no joke especially if you are setting up a new bow in July.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Nada, nothing, zip. Pin gap won't be an issue on most sights, and you can always go hybrid or adjustable. The critters won't know the difference. Shoot the bow you shoot well above all else.

That being said, talking about 60 yard shots when setting up a new bow.... I think it was cam Hanes that said this, but archery is roughly 10x harder than shooting a rifle (at game). Almost everybody can hit at 10/100 yards respectively. It takes some practice but 30/300 is achieveable. 40/400 requires dedication. 50/500 and further requires all of the above, the right equipment and the right conditions. We know you are a good shot and have had great hunting success, but how many animals have you killed at 600 yards? How many times are the conditions right for that? Same deal. Sheep (and moose) fall into that category that can be taken at distance, in that they don't tend to move fast or jump the string. But a 60 yard shot on a living animal is no joke especially if you are setting up a new bow in July.
I really like this archery/rifle hunting comparison, it should be shared more often.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:08 AM

Don't loose site of the average distance you'll most likely shoot.
Given the animal and terain at that time of year.
Example..
Elk or Pronghorn out in open spaces verses deer, elk, bear, turkey or moose in mid sept. - early oct. while vegiatation is still thick and green.

For deer etc. most likely will only have a clear shot out to 25 or 30 yards due
to foliage.

For elk or pronghorn most likely will have only shots in open areas like fields and such.. 30 to 41 yards maybe 55.
Beyond that is pushing it with a bow IMO.

Goats on the rocks in nov. kind of like open space pronghorn or elk out on the
meadows (longer shots) but at steeper angles and much higher up.
Due to the sharp angles that adds a whole nother aspect to shooting a bow.
And needs attention.

If your picking up the bow because you won your draw and the draw was on
Goats archery only then I think you may end up being dissapointed come this fall.
On the other hand if your picking up the bow and you got lucky winning a goat draw, then I wish you well and the best of luck this fall, I think you'll find
weather you get one or not, bowhunting itself is a challenging and wonderful experience. Even if only taking down a doe for meat in the fridge. :-)

Don't mean to sound like I'm pickin', just saying bowhunting is as much about
hunting and getting close as it is about shot placement and practice.
That's a big part of shooting a bow, hunting skills, getting close. It's not easy.
I'm sure you know.

Last edited by Bonescreek; 07-14-2017 at 12:26 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:

I don't have much more to add than what has already been stated. Although because of your statement highlighted above, this is something archers are searching for; a bow that fits and feels good and gives confidence with each shot. Having the confidence that your arrow will hit it's mark is far more important to me than how fast that arrow will miss the animal.

If the price is great, and you hit the mark on the lower setting consistently while having a nice smooth draw, there's not much more to ask for? I'd say you found what you're searching for.... Remember, you will be trying to draw and shoot on cooler mornings and you don't get a warmup to adjust for conditions or cold muscles.....

J.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:50 AM

Default 15 Fps

Quote:

I have heard nothing but great reviews of the Carbon ICON. Solid bow as everyone else has said and don't be concerned about the 15 fps you may lose on the comfort setting. The focus should be on accuracy and consistency.

One comment about shooting distance, If you haven't shot at 60 yards with a bow recently, I think you will be surprised how far it appears when you shoot your bow. As a result, you want a bow that you can hold very stable and comfortably. My best of advice is be honest with yourself regarding your archery ability and consistency when you choose your effective range. If 30 yards is as far as you can shoot consistently, then make 30 yards as far as your willing to shoot.

Morb
Old 07-14-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbius131 View Post
I have heard nothing but great reviews of the Carbon ICON. Solid bow as everyone else has said and don't be concerned about the 15 fps you may lose on the comfort setting. The focus should be on accuracy and consistency.

One comment about shooting distance, If you haven't shot at 60 yards with a bow recently, I think you will be surprised how far it appears when you shoot your bow. As a result, you want a bow that you can hold very stable and comfortably. My best of advice is be honest with yourself regarding your archery ability and consistency when you choose your effective range. If 30 yards is as far as you can shoot consistently, then make 30 yards as far as your willing to shoot.

Morb
Good advice, my self imposed first shot distance limit hovers around 40 yards. I know I can make a 40 yard shot count 9.99 times out of 10 (no one is perfect ). I have taken longer first shots, one ended up as a wound and the other a miss.

I know my limit and stay within it, I also shoot a few thousand arrows in practice and competition before season rolls around. To be consistent out to 60 takes a lot of practice and patience.

You usually get 1 arrow cold bow/cold muscles so you need to practice with that in mind. Your first arrow of each session should be recorded mentally/ and in notes. That will be telling as to what YOUR limit should be.

LC
Old 07-14-2017, 07:53 PM

Good thoughts guys. I used to bow hunt a lot. I used to feel confident to 40 yards easy and a 50 yard shot was doable if I had to in the right circumstance. I used to practice a ton! My bow is way out of date and getting the draw was an excuse to get back into it more than I have in the past.
I think it is time to upgrade. I have no idea how these modern bows are and I think 60 yards is not a bad distance if I can put the time in. I will be shooting the bow a min. 2-3 times a day for 20 min each from Sept till the hunt starts as I have time to do it.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:20 PM

The carbon icon is a great bow.
It's my first setup, and out of the other bows I've shot it's the most comferatable.
It's a 60lb 28.5" setup. Already this summer shooting unbelievable groupings.
I've got a upgraded Hoyt 5 pin sight and drop away.
Highly recommend the bow 👍
I also really like the Scott shark release. Good luck on your purchase.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:12 PM

The carbon icon offers very good bang for your buck. Two of my buddies got into archery with icons.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:25 PM

Default Bad shoulders.

Both shoulders wrecked from job. I shot PSE, Mathews and Hoyt. I tried the Icon last year and found it was the only bow that didn't put a whole lot of strain on my shoulders. It was a good investment imo.
The only thing is getting used to the grip. But I can carry this bow with ease and draw and hold for longer than the others. Tried both settings as well. A great bow which took way too long to finally settle on lol.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Good advice, my self imposed first shot distance limit hovers around 40 yards. I know I can make a 40 yard shot count 9.99 times out of 10 (no one is perfect ). I have taken longer first shots, one ended up as a wound and the other a miss.

I know my limit and stay within it, I also shoot a few thousand arrows in practice and competition before season rolls around. To be consistent out to 60 takes a lot of practice and patience.

You usually get 1 arrow cold bow/cold muscles so you need to practice with that in mind. Your first arrow of each session should be recorded mentally/ and in notes. That will be telling as to what YOUR limit should be.

LC
great advice , I never thought of that when practicing . going to make note of that. as for shooting past 40 , its amazing how much the slightest flinch grows after 45 !