Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-07-2017, 09:03 AM

Default Lawnmower Hospital - a positive experience

After experiencing some issues with my auger after I got it back from the lawnmower hospital over the Christmas break, I took it back in on Tuesday. Needless to say, I was not thrilled that I missed out on some fishing over Christmas, and I let them know about it.

However, as soon as I got back into their shop and spoke with one of the managers, Mike(?), my whole perception began to change. He was apologetic, courteous and he went about fixing the issue immediately. After that, I spoke directly with Ben (who is also an avid ice fisherman) and works in their shop. They not only located and fixed the issue (needed a new bearing and a whole new clutch), but he also replaced the cracked governor. I was only charged for the price of the clutch. They also made sure to have it done for this weekend so that I could head out today. All in all, while it was annoying to have to take it back, they certainly rectified the situation in a professional and courteous manner. I will definitely be giving them my business again, and would recommend them to anyone like me that is generally useless at small engine repair!
Old 01-07-2017, 09:29 AM

Before declaring to give them your business again consider buying an electric auger and selling your gas. The only maintenance involved is putting the battery on the charger and maybe changing or sharpening the blades once in a blue moon.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tromanowski87 View Post
After experiencing some issues with my auger after I got it back from the lawnmower hospital over the Christmas break, I took it back in on Tuesday. Needless to say, I was not thrilled that I missed out on some fishing over Christmas, and I let them know about it.

However, as soon as I got back into their shop and spoke with one of the managers, Mike(?), my whole perception began to change. He was apologetic, courteous and he went about fixing the issue immediately. After that, I spoke directly with Ben (who is also an avid ice fisherman) and works in their shop. They not only located and fixed the issue (needed a new bearing and a whole new clutch), but he also replaced the cracked governor. I was only charged for the price of the clutch. They also made sure to have it done for this weekend so that I could head out today. All in all, while it was annoying to have to take it back, they certainly rectified the situation in a professional and courteous manner. I will definitely be giving them my business again, and would recommend them to anyone like me that is generally useless at small engine repair!
Regardless the remorse and the willingness to fix it again it still was not fixed correctly the first time. As with everything in life, you can't just fix the problem (which is what he did) you have to fix what caused the problem. Clutch bearings and a worn out clutch rattle like crazy and are very obvious when they need to be repaired by the time they fail. The cracked govenor im assuming was the lever, could be missed by anyone but is highly unusual to fail unless abused. I would not recommend this outfit in anyway at all unless he tells you what he has done to fix what caused the problem and you find it satisfactory enough to put your name to it by recommending. Merely repairing it properly the second time is not (on its own ) good enough for me. Really glad its fixed right this time and you can go fishing tho.