Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-05-2017, 04:42 PM

Default Berkeley maggots or real.

Couldn't find any real maggots in town so I picked up some Berkeley fake ones. Has any one used these and r they as good as the real thing or did I waste my money.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:46 PM

I have never found artificial to outproduce real with the exception of powerbait. I would assume there are guys that swear by it based on the volume in the stores. I stick with the real thing...
Old 01-05-2017, 04:53 PM

Thanks for the reply. I will be stopping on the way to the lake in the morning trying to find the real thing.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:04 PM

Wink

X2, artificial can have its moments, they do work. But as far as effectiveness vs. the real deal go with live bait every single time. I carry artificial with me at all times. I only pull it out if the bite is really hot and the fish aren't fussy or if I happen to run out or run low of live ones. That said doing a combo can be very effective as well. Start by putting on artificial maggots to load up your spoon or jig and then tip with a couple live ones. You can conserve live bait this way and you get double the attraction benefits with a very durable offering you don't have to re-bait a ton all the time. Again if the bite is hot and you have fish underneath you, you need to get up and down like you are saving lives so artificial is great in that situation too, as they can't pick them off the hook as easily and you can get back down there quickly to yard another one up. Good luck!
Old 01-05-2017, 06:11 PM
Banned

Husky gas stations or small towns along the way might have maggots. Put on a real maggot, then use a synthetic maggot to hold it on.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:14 PM

i also bought the berkley fake maggots and used it lots but still have not gotten any bites on them for the year or so i've had it but still keep it with me as a back up. its not saying its a bad product at all but i haven't figured it out yet. but when i tossed the berkley gulp minnows on i swear it was like a fish every second or third cast, it was so incredible. it stays on so well till after a few fish it tears and you change another one. i do like kurts505 idea of using it to hold on a real bait never thought of that. thanks
Old 01-06-2017, 02:18 PM

I've had some luck on those pink powerbait maggots with stocked trout. that was only one time though...